Hi. I just woke up with an issue in my jaw. I've had diagnosed TMJ for some time, and when I fully open my jaw, it "clicks" audibly. Anywho, I just dealt with a couple shoulder dislocations, which required surgery, and months of physical therapy, and that wasn't so bas as much as a time killer, but I've been paranoid about jaw dislocations ever since I learned about them. Why can't I open my mouth? If I try to open my mouth beyond a certain point (barely wide enough to speak properly), I feel a tightness in the left side of my jaw, up near the ear, where the jaw hinges in, and I can't open any further. Just a minute ago, I found it seemed to have loosened a bit, and I can open fully now. However, the jaw still feels somewhat unusual. I'm quite terrified now; what should I do? Do I make an appointment? What could this be? Before, when it was bad, I could open when I pressed hard on the joint with my fingers. Does that help? Anyone know what I can expect in the future? Thanks

I just asked that shit on Yahoo! answers, after I realized that the Pit isn't full of dentists. Still, do any of you have any ****ing idea what the issue is? I COULDNT OPEN MY ****ING MOUTH. Scary shit, yeah! I couldn't open my mouth! What a horrible way to wake up, I wasn't even rested!

In all seriousness, one of you creatures must have some experience with this malady known as lockjaw and/or TMJ, SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

EDIT: I don't know why the thread title is capitalized every word; not of my doing! ****ing Yahoo! must have perverted it before the copy and paste.
Last edited by oddling8 at Feb 28, 2007,
get to a doctor. now. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! STOP WASTING YOUR FUKKING TIME ASKING US PIT RETARDS AND HAUL YOUR ASS TO A DOCTOR!
Doctors are nice people to go to with issues like this.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
:O That happened to me in the middle of a Stone Sour gig once....

it went away after about an hour, don't worry. (or if it does stay for a long time, DO worry)
one word...

Crowbar

yeah Doctors have Phd and stuff...i just have a PhD in KICKASSERY
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Quote by CoreysMonster
get to a doctor. now. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! STOP WASTING YOUR FUKKING TIME ASKING US PIT RETARDS AND HAUL YOUR ASS TO A DOCTOR!

Haha. Normally, medically related issues in the pit are met with sarcasm and/or hostility. I feel special ::type

Quote by False_God
Go to the doctor!!!

We're on welfare (my Mother's doing, I have no choice ) and medicaid, or whatever, and since we're poor we can't just go to a doctor. Actually we can, but the governments paying and I feel guilty.

Quote by Cyclotoolica
:O That happened to me in the middle of a Stone Sour gig once....

it went away after about an hour, don't worry. (or if it does stay for a long time, DO worry)

My girlfriend's sister had this... and unfortunately she ended up needing surgery on it.

Now, I don't know that yours is as serious as her case was... but it's not a good situation to be in.

If it improves and you don't notice it again, don't worry. If it doesn't, or if it happens regularily, get it checked out.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
i have 2 questions.

1 - is this condition contagious?

if it is,

2 - would you be willing to hang out with my ex, for a while?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ LOL I appreciate your lack of sympathy. MY JAW WOULD NOT OPEN. I COULD HAVE STARVED, or failed to articulate words properly and have sounded like a dunce. But in all seriousness, this ****ing sucks, it sucks so badly that it demands cussing and exclamation points. I'm really quite worried.
Quote by oddling8
^ LOL I appreciate your lack of sympathy. MY JAW WOULD NOT OPEN. I COULD HAVE STARVED, or failed to articulate words properly and have sounded like a dunce. But in all seriousness, this ****ing sucks, it sucks so badly that it demands cussing and exclamation points. I'm really quite worried.

Dude thanks for ruining my life that happens to me sometimes.

Though my mouth has never been fully shut i just move my jaw till it clicks back in.
Quote by oddling8

I gave you a serious answer. Stop crying to UG about it and get some real god damn help.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
If I read the first sentence correctly...you have an issue in your jaw?
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
You have AIDS.

This is an "accurate advice" from some asshole stranger over the Internet with no medical training.

You have a heatlh problem? SEE A DOCTOR, don't fucking ask in the Pit for medical advice! Don't you people think before you click that "New Thread" button?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Sounds like something two of my sisters have... can be hereditary so check with your folks for cartilidge trouble in the family..(dunno what TMJ is, is it related to this problem?)

My sister couldn't open her jaw for 2 years, lost a lot of weight, so if you're fat, happy days!

Despite a million trips to the doc, they didn't do anything, and it just improved by itself, still gets bad from time to time

My other sis, same thing, but its affected her shoulder badly, all out of shape - wonder if ur shoulder problems are related? They took out her wisdom teeth, hopefully that'll help a bit, but as the real problem is degeneration of cartilidge, there is no cure I'm afraid, but surgery can help, where the jaw is wearing away, they pin it i think. Get it checked out definitely.

In their case i think they wore out their jaws talking... maybe shut up for a while!
Every once in a blue moon I get something like that (usually after eating junk for an extended amount of time, or sitting in a funny position. The more I try to open it, the more it feels pressured. Generally I relax, it goes away. I find if I put my jaw to the side, and then try to open, I often can, and if I do that a bunch of times, *sometimes* it goes away. It hasn't happened in awhile. I think I might just have common jaw lock though. It's not a horrible problem, and usually only happens when I stress it unnecessarily.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by oddling8
^ LOL I appreciate your lack of sympathy. ....

i think you might be missing my point.

i have no help to offer you.

but instead of saying: "oh my! that's so sad. i cried just thinking about this....yadda, yadda, yadda...."

i said "that sucks. i would only wish something that bad on my ex!"

i though maybe you could use a laugh, but maybe you're beyond that.

good luck
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
You have AIDS.

This is an "accurate advice" from some asshole stranger over the Internet with no medical training.

You have a heatlh problem? SEE A DOCTOR, don't fucking ask in the Pit for medical advice! Don't you people think before you click that "New Thread" button?
Wow, you really think you're funny, hmm? You're not. I woke up with a ****ed up jaw, and I can't just go to a doctor, I'm not rich like everyone else in the world. I went to Yahoo! answers, and I copied and pasted that here because, what the Hell! It couldn't hurt. In case you didn't notice, my post was full of humor and exaggeration. But I guess you're just a mental incomplete. No, that's not it, you're just a prick. Not the good kind, the annoying kind, the kind I want to poke, slap, or otherwise invade the personal space of to demonstrate my lack of respect. Go away, the world does not need or want your toxic bile, in the pit, or in life. Shoo!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
i think you might be missing my point.

i have no help to offer you.

but instead of saying: "oh my! that's so sad. i cried just thinking about this....yadda, yadda, yadda...."

i said "that sucks. i would only wish something that bad on my ex!"

i though maybe you could use a laugh, but maybe you're beyond that.

good luck

Haha. I was being sarcastic, man. "LOL!" was supposed to demonstrate a jovial nature. I did laugh. Thanks
Quote by oddling8
Wow, you really think you're funny, hmm? You're not. I woke up with a ****ed up jaw, and I can't just go to a doctor, I'm not rich like everyone else in the world. I went to Yahoo! answers, and I copied and pasted that here because, what the Hell! It couldn't hurt. In case you didn't notice, my post was full of humor and exaggeration. But I guess you're just a mental incomplete. No, that's not it, you're just a prick. Not the good kind, the annoying kind, the kind I want to poke, slap, or otherwise invade the personal space of to demonstrate my lack of respect. Go away, the world does not need or want your toxic bile, in the pit, or in life. Shoo!

Haha. I was being sarcastic, man. "LOL!" was supposed to demonstrate a jovial nature. I did laugh. Thanks

Don't worry too much about it unless it starts happening consistently. My jaw does some weird things (the muscle between the chin and my neck, not really sure what it is called, cramped. It hurt like a bitch) but it's not a real issue. So yeah, if this is the first time it has happened, just let it go. If this starts happening a lot, visit a doctor. Better to get a cheap solution now than wait 5 years and have to pay for an expensive surgery or something.
OH NOES! My sig is gone.
I had the same problem when I was younger, but it wasn't as bad. Try moving your jaw a bit to the left or right, and open your mouth slightly, and slow.

If it still doesn't loosen up, it would be wise to go to the doctor. I hated that, and you brought back some crap memories.
I love people who make threads like "I can't open my ****ing jaw!" and other huge medical issues they've encountered recently, and go onto a guitar website in hopes of getting word out to send for medical assistance.

Coincedentally, I'm a doctor who can funucking shred like there's no tomorrow.
Quote by alexi_laiho
i really want to make a pedal-powered wheelchair...
Quote by hug a llama
looks at avatar*

haha
Quote by alexi_laiho
i really want to make a pedal-powered wheelchair...
Quote by oddling8

How'd you laugh if you have lockjaw?
I used to have TMJ. This is what causes it, as best as I can describe:

There is a little pad of cartilage between the jaw bone and the skull. Occasionally it will slide out of place (usually to the back). When that happens, the jaw won't open properly. I think it may slip out because of the jaw muscle contracting abnormally.

I don't know how I got it fixed. I think the dentist did something. But sorry, man. I know it sucks.
Can't stop the signal.
yea, i have the same thing and its not going away. it actually really sucks. sometimes i wake up during the night and start freaking out cause i cant open my mouth.

Did you get your braces removed recently, i think thats why my jaw is locking up
Quote by zippidyduda
Damn, you are the only august 06'er I know that has a brain! Congratulations!

Quote by SpedGangster
Ohgosh I have to agree with your sig. you really are the august 06er with a brain!

what can i say?

I'm the 100th Spartan
Quote by drevil814
How'd you laugh if you have lockjaw?

It had passed by that point.

Thanks everyone. It seems that it probably will be a non-issue. I have an underbite, and I imagine it has something to do with that... cheers!
ask my sister about jaw exercises.
why?
hint: she's a big skank.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
I didn't really read your post... but my jaw pops insanely loud when I open it (I have braces though) and my Orthodontist said it should go away when my jaw gets more lined up.

It may be the same for you... =/

I'm far too tired to read your post though, sorry.
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
If you cant open your mouth....

HOW DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD!!?!?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
I have TMJ too, and the same thing happened to me before, but I just let it go. It was fine after a while....you still might want to see a doc just in case though.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I kind of have a fear of lockjaw :S
The thought of my mouth locking shut and being unable to open is just scary. No wait, usually what scares me is the idea of my jaw locking while it's open, so I can't close it >.<

Anyways best of luck man, hope you can get this sorted out!

Quote by clincher09
If you cant open your mouth....

HOW DID YOU MAKE THIS THREAD!!?!?
lol that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread but then I'm like "wtf j00 type wit ur fingaz n0t ur mouf, n00b!"
I didn't have a signature until now.
Quote by Scourge
I kind of have a fear of lockjaw :S
The thought of my mouth locking shut and being unable to open is just scary. No wait, usually what scares me is the idea of my jaw locking while it's open, so I can't close it >.<

Anyways best of luck man, hope you can get this sorted out!

lol that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread but then I'm like "wtf j00 type wit ur fingaz n0t ur mouf, n00b!"

I was pretty scared when I couldn't open my jaw... it seemed like an anterior dislocation... pretty scary stuff. I just finished the physical therapy on my shoulder that required surgery after a couple dislocations, so naturally, I didn't like the idea of my jaw dislocating. I think the two worst dislocations would be jaw; hip.