hi,

I'm really interested in building a delay pedal on Tonepad, but I cant get hold of a PT2399. Is there any replacement that I could use? I'm from the UK and have tried Maplins and RS.

Thank you.
Have you looked at the Maplins catalogue, an actual shop or the website? I thought the website wasn't great (I'll check it again sometime), but the catalogue was good. And individual shops may not carry everything.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Try SmallBear Electronics, they have everythin you need and will deliver to the UK at a good price.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
It's true, but they do take a lot longer. I received my order from Maplins in about two days, whereas my order from SBE is taking about two weeks.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I'd use SBE but I dont really want to wait - but ordering the list might be cheaper than buying individuals.

Loony - I've only looked online (Although I buy my parts in a store, Do you think they have different componants in the catalogue?)
Now I've looked at the site better (took me a fucking age to find out how to order different value resistors, they don't exactly make it easy), I would guess not. Things are just laid out better in the catalogue. I'll check when I get home now, I don't have a catalogue here.
Quote by Liberation
If you could find a PT2399 IC in the catalogue that would be ace. I usually go to the desk and give them the list to see if they can get them (they go through individually then tell you what they dont have).
Cool, I haven't bought that stuff from the shop before, so I wondered if you just handed them a list and they went and got it for you.

What does that particular IC do, by the way? I haven't looked at delay pedals before.
Quote by Liberation
Its an Echo Ic I pressume.

Yeah you just hand in the list of parts and they get em for you, it soon mounts up though. The resistors are like 13p each (metal film I think) and when you have a large(r) list it starts costing. Beats P+P though lol
P+P for Maplins is only £2 or so, and free on orders over £35, so not too shabby. When I build some more pedals, I plan on buying packs of resistors rather than individual ones, to cut down on price/hassle. And yeah, 13p for a metal film resistor.

How many pedals have you made, by the way? I'm building my first when my parts arrive from America

EDIT: Nope, it's not in the catalogue.
Quote by Liberation
Last edited by loonyguitarist at Feb 28, 2007,
I'd just litterally finished my first pedal yesterday, a boss Ds-1 workalike from tonepad. Cost me £12 including the case, it works ace too. I plan on making a few pedals and mounting them with my other ones to a DIY pedal board with working AC power. What are you making?
I'm making an MXR Distortion Plus, also off of tonepad. It was labelled as beginner, so I went for that. I ordered my PCB from there, and it's taking ages because they didn't have it in stock. I'm gonna make my own in future.

£12? Lol I've spent like £70 so far, buying tools and whatnot as well as the parts.

The pedalboard idea sounds cool.
Quote by Liberation
I'm thinking that tonepad delay one, but I couldn't find the IC (hence this thread). I etched the board at school and I had a lot of the bits at home, just the parts I needed. I took electronics for GCSE so kinda knew what I was doing. I'm not sure I could order from the US, to long to wait lol. I bought a mono jack instead of the sterio so the batter is hanging out to turn it off lol.

I'll take a picture of my pedal tomorrow, and post it up here.
i would like to say, you cant normally just toss one IC in as a replacement for another. i dont know what kind of chip that is, but a lot of the time stuff is made to work together. if it is just an op amp, i would say that using a similar op amp would be fine. but since you cant find it, i have the feeling the chip is something a bit more complex. different chips from different series often wont work together because of timing delays and even stuff like the voltages they use. so if there are multiple ICs involved, you pretty much should stick to what they list as the part.

however, if you post a pic of the schem or a link to it, id be happy to look at it and see what sense i can make of it.
With opamps you can sub in a whole mess of opamps, they'll mostly all "work" in basic circuits, they just have some differences.

That on the other hand is a more specialized chip, and you just gotta find one. At least I think so, don't know much about delays.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
yeah, also looks to me like you are just going to have to try and find that chip. it seems like a pretty specific chip from what i can tell. i personally would just buy that chip, it isnt worth the hassle of trying to figure out what else you could use. you would have to look at stuff like pin schematics and what the internal stuff is, then find a similar device and compare. more work that its worth IMO.
Hmmm thats a shame, maplins and Rs dont sell them. So i guess i'll either have to make something else or order from small bear (not sure about the waiting time).

Whats the delivery cost for the ic PT2399?

I dont really want to spend more on the shipping than on the part.
I think it was about a week. I got my stuff from SME today. And you could make it more cost effective by buying some other stuff with it.
Quote by Liberation
Yeah I could buy the set of IC's and diodes from SBE, what was the postage price (£ to the uk?
Can't remember I'm afraid, go and have a check.
Quote by Liberation
$3.75 but I doubt thats UK.

Does anyone know a replacement for a 4558 op-amp IC? (sorry about the questions but the UK sucks for componants).
I think the shipping may be the same worldwide. Don't quote me on it though.
Quote by Liberation