k i'm looking for a guitar that's pretty versatile, but mostly good for indie and that kinda vibe, i've been looking around and have my eye mostly focussed on either a strat (mex), a tele (mex), or a jaguar (japan 62), but i've been mostly interested in the jag, but i've heard it has problems with the bridge and is often replaced by that of a mustang, if anyone knows about this, or could even guide me in the right direction guitar wise it would be much appreciated.

(hoping to spend around/under £500)
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
the jag and jazzmaster have bridges that dont have groves in them,this was to allow the player to set the string spacing to their liking.

with relatively aggressive play (and i mean nothing very extreme at all) the string can hop out of the saddle leaving you ****ed basically if it happens live.

mustang bridges have grooved saddles but its much easier and cheaper to get a tech to simply cut grooves in the jags bridge for you.

ALSO the bridge itself moves about in the hollows (where the bridge posts go into body) which really leaves you with shoddy tuning stability.a simple method to fix that is to wrap the bridge posts in electrical tape so they fit snugly in the holes.

I would say def go for the jag for what your into itll do it well.
personally id love a jazzmaster but the MIA is too expensive and the pups in the japanese ones are just strat pups really so im disgusted.

anyway hope that helps.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

www.jag-stang.com for loads of info on jags and modifications. I'd love a jaguar, just can't justify spending the money on it unfortunately
...Bleep Bloop...
All sorts of problems with the jag/jazz saddles, not the bridge, the bridge is fine I found.
Just replace the saddles (I got String Savers) and slap on a heavier gauge and you're good to go.
no the bridge does wobble in its posts.

next time you change your strings check it out and you'll see better.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The bridge is supposed to move due to the synchronised trem thing. I'm not sure how a synced trem actually makes a difference, but it's definitely deliberate.

I find no problem with tuning stability or string buzz. You just need a heavy enough string gauge to keep the bridge in place.
thanks so much for the help guys/gals much appreciated, that jag-stang site is very helpful too. my faith in UG is restored, for now anway
Quote by slayaplaya

Quote by beckyjc
The bridge is supposed to move due to the synchronised trem thing. I'm not sure how a synced trem actually makes a difference, but it's definitely deliberate.

I find no problem with tuning stability or string buzz. You just need a heavy enough string gauge to keep the bridge in place.

no need for your little "roll eyes" first off understand?

regardless of the string guage the bridge will still move.even the smallest movement each time will put you out of tune relatively quick.

dumbass

<--thats you
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Christ don't cry, slightest knock and you'll jump to the insults, no ****ing need for it mate.

My guitar stays in tune perfect. The bridge doesn't move without me using the trem. I think it's fine.
i just got my jag today and it's beautiful
yeah the bridge is a tad buzzy but not enough to install one of those ugly buzz stop things, still not grasped the switching yet, or the tremelo unit. But yeah i see how the strings pop out although it hasn't happened while playing so i'm not gonna change the bridge till it becomes a problem

thanks again my pretties
Quote by slayaplaya

Youre going to love the brige after some time. the only thing which annoys me on my JM bridge is the slapback and the low e always poping out from its saddle.

To set it up-put nail polish on the saddle screws so that they don\'t fallout. most of the loud buzz will be gone. Also put some tape around the bridge but only a little, you still want to allow the bridge to move when youre using the trem. this way the metal bits on the bridge wont be in contact with the metal bits on the guitar.
^^Ooo, what colour did you go for?
Get some heavier strings on it, quite a bit of the buzz will go after that.

I did the nail polish thing when I had the original saddles in my jag. Worked nicely, the buzz totally vanished from mine, so i didn't need to tape the bridge or anything
Sunburst Jazzmaster, you can see it in the Post your gear thread, in the last page.

I have some strange buzz, which is due to the bridge which is contacted to a poorly cut CIJ bridge posts. Nailpolish is the best solution for the bridge, imo.