Poll: How do you mute yours?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you mute yours?
Picking hand
35 59%
Fretting hand (Patting)
26 44%
Other method?
6 10%
Voters: 59.
That other muting thread reminded me to finally post this..

Well? do you mute your strings when you want to stop them ringing or whatever with your picking hand or fretting hand? I have always done it with my picking hand and have become quite fast and efficient at it but I just noticed in some videos, particularly people covering Pantera's Walk their fretting hand seems to be 'patting' the fretboard.

Poll up asap...

Cheers.
i usually use my picking hand but sometimes fretting hand to get other kinda sound like screaming
I use both in different sutuations.
for example: If I play long legato runs then I use my picking hand to mute most strings but often I mute the strings I play on too. so instead I make sure my index finger mute one string up and one down from were it is. sometimes a bit hard but works good for me.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by C@sper
on electric i use my fret hand unless im playing anywhere near a harmonic, then I use my pick hand... on acoustic i use my pick hand only but i play more slap acoustic than anything.. so yeah....

Yea when I tried the fretting hand muting I found I kept touching harmonics lol.
I said fretting but I think it's a bit of both.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
picking hand. much faster for me.
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo

LIVETODIE180

Oure fader that art in heuenis halowid be thi name ...

Looking for a singer, bassist, drummer, and rythem guitarist. PM me if your interested.
Like two people said.. Both Depending on the situation.... And if you hit harmonics.. Try muting on the first fret or between the frets and its a bit harder to hit a harmonic my accident there
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
both I guess I only just thought about it when I saw this thread.......

if I'm using my picking hand to palm mute then I'll use my fretting hand, but if I'm just resting it on the bridge then I'll use my picking hand. if your doing this to find out what most people do to give you an idea how to I'd say do what the other guy said and try both and see what works best for you. if it's just out of interest then interesting thread ..... well it got me thinking lol
I use both, depending on what I want to acheive. They make different sounds after all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I use both when I play ska and I use my fretting hand to mute notes I don't want to ring when I'm strumming single notes or chords.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
both.. depending on the situation, as everyone else said loll!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
i generally use palm muting but ocassionally i use patting if its necessary for the song im doing
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
I use both. It all depends what kind of rhythm I am playing.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I mute with my fretting hand when im playing chords and stuff, but i use my picking hand during solo's and licks.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
I use both at the same time.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
personally i would prefer picking hand since its alot easier~ but does anyone has a vid or somethin that shows you how ya actually do palm muting? coz i always tends make mistake while doin this palm muting as in hitting the harmonics or mess up wif the tone now and then