Hello folks! I'm a long-time lurker of those forums which hold a lot of golden information, but decided to lose my virginity recently and start posting

I've been playing bass for almost 10 years, I have a relatively serious band for 3 years and been doing gigs once or sometimes twice a month (which is a lot considering the small country I live in). Thing is, I recently has problems live when we are not able to have our own SE as in a few venues around and can't always be with us, and are forced to deal with the resident SE. I would like to be able to get a sound out of my amp that the SE wouldnt have to touch much except for the volume.

Is there any magical secret, rule of thumb or anything that can help? I guess a good equalization could help, I always tried to avoid equalizing as much as possible until now. If there are a few basic settings that can improve easily, please share them

As for pedals, I only use an overdrive and a chorus, and very moderately, like 1 or 2 songs per gig. Can a compressor/limiter-enhancer help improve the quality of my sound and make it more "in your face"? Is there any magical pedal lying around to give more presence to my sound? You are all welcome to share your experiences!

Just a slight note about my setup to give you an idea, I use a squier jazz on which I replaced the mics with Sadowky mics, and an Eden 400W amp with with 2x10's.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Sounds like you need some thickness! This can be acheived a ton of ways!

The first way is to ALWAYS use your neck pickup if you arn't already! Get some thicker strings! Get an EQ and turn up those Bass and Mids!

And with yoru Bass, do you mean you replaced the PICKUPS? Guitars and Basses don't use mics, they use PICKUPS! If they used mics your Bass woudl sound quite hollow and it woudl feed back BAD!

Plus, your cabnets suck! I mean, my god! 400Ws going into a 2x10!? Get a halfstack or add a 15" sub or SOMETHING!
It all depends on your setup, but I think compression is INTEGRAL to making your sound 'beefy'. This not only evens out your attack, it makes the G and D strings sound as ballsy as the A and E strings (if done correctly).

Also, if you are doing a nice hard rock song, keep the overdrive ON and CRANK it... JUST MAKE SURE IT'S A GOOD OVERDRIVE MADE FOR BASS! I recommend the Fulltone Bass Drive wholeheartedly.... like.... GET IT NOW. For me, when the guitars get crazy, that pedal is the difference between being heard and just being felt. However, it's an expensive pedal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i have a pretty ballsy tone for my p and j basses. compression is huge. my aphex 108 compressor is my balls. i have 2 eqs. one is the majority of the tone, the other is more of like a fine tuner. so good eq is pretty huge, i usually have my bass all the way up, my low mids are around 25% and my higher mids around 50% then my treble is about 60%-75%.
my left and right testicles are named Eq and Compressor, respectively, from which my amp spurts out its glorious sound.

(really really bad penis metaphor, i apologize)
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Last edited by epy at Feb 28, 2007,
try adding a BBE aural exciter... this thing is amazing!!! Compression is definately a must have also.
Last edited by ducman998r at Feb 28, 2007,
Hartke Bass Attack, tube emulator. Adds tube like overdrive and gives you a nice tube amp sound, tube tube tube. I felt like I needed a few more in that sentence. I really recommend this pedal, totally ballsy, I love it.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Fast_Bear
Sounds like you need some thickness! This can be acheived a ton of ways!

The first way is to ALWAYS use your neck pickup if you arn't already! Get some thicker strings! Get an EQ and turn up those Bass and Mids!

And with yoru Bass, do you mean you replaced the PICKUPS? Guitars and Basses don't use mics, they use PICKUPS! If they used mics your Bass woudl sound quite hollow and it woudl feed back BAD!

Plus, your cabnets suck! I mean, my god! 400Ws going into a 2x10!? Get a halfstack or add a 15" sub or SOMETHING!

hey Fast_Bear,

yeah I meant pickups, sorry. in french it translates to the equivalent of "mics"

and I actually got 2x12+tweeter, that was a typo

this is my precious

@thefitz: I use the boss odb-3 bass overdrive. but I really dont use it much, I used to play a lot more metal when I was 18, now we play rather singing/songwriting with a rock tendency

Quote by epy
(really really bad penis metaphor, i apologize)

lawl
if your 2x12 cab (which looks really nice, btw, probably sounds really good too) is an 8ohm cab then you can maybe add another cab to your setup. A 1x15 would really add some low end boomy goodness to your sound...

For more presence you should definitely boost the lows and the high mids on your EQ. On most amps that would be the bass and high mid knobs, on multi band EQs with sliders and stuff like that it might be (bass) 65-175hz and (hi-mids) 550-700hz...somewhere around that area..

You can also turn up the tone knob on your J Bass and you might even want to use a pick for one or two songs if you REALLY want to be heard loud, crisp and clear.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I spotted BALLS in the title, hehe and it immediately brought BASS BALLS to mind. I'm not sure what the pedal does, maybe it thickens the sound but someone told me Cliff Burton may have used one at one point.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I spotted BALLS in the title, hehe and it immediately brought BASS BALLS to mind. I'm not sure what the pedal does, maybe it thickens the sound but someone told me Cliff Burton may have used one at one point.

It's an envelope filter i think
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
if your 2x12 cab (which looks really nice, btw, probably sounds really good too) is an 8ohm cab then you can maybe add another cab to your setup. A 1x15 would really add some low end boomy goodness to your sound...

For more presence you should definitely boost the lows and the high mids on your EQ. On most amps that would be the bass and high mid knobs, on multi band EQs with sliders and stuff like that it might be (bass) 65-175hz and (hi-mids) 550-700hz...somewhere around that area..

You can also turn up the tone knob on your J Bass and you might even want to use a pick for one or two songs if you REALLY want to be heard loud, crisp and clear.

hey xeno,

my technical english kinda sucks, so I'm not sure what a multi band equalizer is.. basically looks like this one, except that it's the prvious version which is 400W instead of this 550W one, but the front panel is identical:

as far as I've gathered, I can select a freq with the top knobs of the eq, and either boost or lower it from -15 till +15 (is the unit dB? I dunno). But I hate that kind of stuff, it's really not user-friendly I'll try those eq settings you guys suggested this week-end when I have enough free time to play with the settings, thanks

as for the compression, which pedal do you guys recommend? I've mostly seen the EBS Multicomp one, and the Boss Limiter/Enhancer in the very few shops around here.
^that works too. a multi band EQ is one that has like 15 sliders that go up and down to boost or cut certain frequencies.

for that type of parametric EQ, I'd set the Low Frequency around 2 notches (lines, markers, whatever you want to call them) to the left and boost it until it feels bassy enough for your ears. I'd put the Mid Frequency like 1-2 notches or lines to the right and boost until it sounds nice and crisp with high-end presence that doesnt cause the hissing noises that the treble knobs usually do. The treble can adjusted to your liking, I usually just boost the treble just a smidgen.

The Limiter-Enhancer isnt really a compressor, at least thats what I've been told. I have one and honestly it doesnt affect my tone that much no matter how I configure it...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Feb 28, 2007,