Page 1 of 2
ok, I mentioned in a few other threads that I'd be scraping down my WG and rebuilding it. I'm finally getting around to it. I've got an idea in mind of what I want, and a few duncan's are on their way.
The pics make the paint look way better than what it does in person...It's really dull and boring. Keep in mind that this is just a project to screw around with to get me used to customizing, so don't make fun if u see somthing stupid. example, as you can see, i've already swaped the strap buttons for some ZW style Hoops .
Sorry for the pic size, quality, and the poor photoshop job.

^here she is in her current state^ pretty boring, huh?

and heres what I want to do with it:

I deffinitly want the horns rounded. the poorly shaded areas i'm planning to "scallop"? (u know what i mean) and A white or cream colored finish. I've always wanted a white guitar, and I think the black hardware, it will really set it off. I'm also thinking about adding black pinstiping, or a small black graphic. And I want to make the headstock a one-off with my own shape and logo/text. I want to make it a little "classy" looking.
Thoughts, suggestions, or input?
What I would do, take a reciprocating hand saw, mark exactly the way you want the horns cut, and very carefully lop em off. Not your fingers... heh.. get some fine grit sand paper and smooth up the edges. If you want em rounded, can do it the harder way and sand em till they are contoured as you like. Or, get a nice wood rasp/file with nice big teeth on it and rough shape it and sand it down smooth. For your "scallop" I'd use a file like the one just mentioned, but with a rounded surface so that it... sorta scoops the wood. I'd mark off exactly the wood you want removed and file it away down to all of the lines as you see fit, sand it all smooth and that's that. Hope that it helps you mate =]
yep, I know exactly what your talking about. Good idea about the rasp w curved edge. I was wonder how i was gonna do that. and yeah, I was planning on rounding everything off a little more. My dad is a carpenter and has a shop with everything i'll need, But i'll mostly only be able to do it during daytime work hours, which leads me to my next question: I know theres a few ways to strip paint. (in my situation) What would be the best way for me to strip the paint? chemicals, or just a few sheets of sand paper and alot of hours? or what?
Ugh, that's fun. The finish on these things is soooo stinkin thick... if you're not gonna be doing anything like a stain I suggest a belt sander, it'll prolly eat it all off in about 45 minutes, just gotta be really careful not to chew up the body... it can also leave it a lil pitted too, small dent like blemishes. I made a strat style body and used a belt on it, it fits with the junky look of the the rest of the guit. You can use a belt to round the body too, works out pretty nice if you get it just so. If you're going to paint it white/cream I don't think you need to strip it completely to the wood, just get all the shine off, make sure it's still smooth though, no dips or pits. I don't know what you want to do or will do for the finish, and I'm sure others have better ideas but I'd give it a few coats of flat paint, and then add on clear latex base. For a real glossy pro look at least 10 coats is what I'd say, letting them dry in between and with really really fine sand paper smooth each coat. Mine is shiney but not really glossy. has about 5 and is stained. Dun forget to make sure it's always clean and dust free =p
what pups are you going to put in?

and are you planning on changing the trem?
i own(ed) several WG guitars, and they are nice guitars for the money, havnt really modded any, except a pup. anyways good luck.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Yeah, the paint is sooo thick on this sucker...theres a chip near one of the strap buttons, and the paint is like a mile deep. vsabinring, great advice. I know very little about good paint jobs. That helped alot.
as for pickups, I have a Duncan distortion on the way for the bridge. but i'm still not sure about neck pickup. as of now, i'm happy with the neck/middle combo, so i might keep them for now. I think I'll leave the trem alone as well. I also have a SG as my main guitar, I'm pretty much just hanging onto the WG for the Floyd (somthing to play with) .
and yes, It's a great guitar for what I paid for it. Heavy tho...it's like strapping a cinder-block to your shoulder, lol.
i wouldnt say they are heavy, my 7 string isnt that heavy, but im used to 10 pound basses.

however the idols are heavy.

a distortion will be kickass in that, is it basswood, or alder? my X40pro has a distortion in it

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
actually, i've never been sure what kinda wood it is...but if I was to make a guess, I'd say basswood. not 100% on that tho.
is that a higher end WG?

my 587 is alder, and my wg280 is basswood, yours might be alder.

Quote by steven seagull
mines a 580, if that helps. you seem to know alot about washburns. I don't know much about Washburns, and I didn't know much about guitars when i bought it. my guitar teacher at the time had a black ibanez with a floyd...I wanted to shred like him so i bought the washburn cuz it looked similar and also had a floyd, lol. Sounds stupid, but I was just a kid, ha.
i bought my first guitar because it looked cool.

but i own 5 washburns now, and ive owned 3 more in the past.

yours is most likely alder. the distortion will sound mighty nice in it.

Quote by steven seagull
thats my guess too. I've never had a distortion, but i've heard good things. can't go wrong with a duncan.
So today i'm starting to take the guitar apart, (taking note of everything I'm doing, since this is my first rebuild). Hopefully i'll get around to some sanding today, but it's doubtful. I'll have pics either today or tomorrow.
Just wonderin, what kinda tone do ya get from it? A nice Sprauge Orange Drop .082 uf cap in there will really give ya a nice rumbly' roar....
This might be a dumb question, but what is an Orange Drop? i've never heard of it, but I'm deffinitly interested in this "rumbly' roar" you speak of, lol.

Ok, so turns out, the belt sander I was planning on using is busted. however, I have a hand-held electric sander. I know it won't work anywhere near as good as the belt sander, but is it worth a shot until the belt sander is fixed?
yea, it will work. just take a bit longer

Quote by steven seagull
Heh, no worries, and the hand held may be a lil better, you can control it a lil better, get it exactly like ya want it. Orange Drops are high quality capacitors that are used alot in amps and I'm pretty sure PRS guitars. With a cap like I just mentioned it'll take ALOT of treble out when you dial down the tone. And they are orange. lol I spose it wouldn't have to be an orange drop, I get kinda obessed with the electronics in guits... modded mine about 20 times prolly.
Quote by vsabinring
Heh, no worries, and the hand held may be a lil better, you can control it a lil better, get it exactly like ya want it. Orange Drops are high quality capacitors that are used alot in amps and I'm pretty sure PRS guitars. With a cap like I just mentioned it'll take ALOT of treble out when you dial down the tone. And they are orange. lol I spose it wouldn't have to be an orange drop, I get kinda obessed with the electronics in guits... modded mine about 20 times prolly.

Yeah, Orange Drops aren't necessary. You can just get a good quality cap and it will do the exact same job.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by vsabinring

Cool. I eventually wanna know all about that electronic stuff too. when I get to that step(installing the p/u), I'll probably try the cap thing, since it will be a project guitar. sounds cool. I'll do some google research on it.

Anything else (fairly simple) that you guys think is worth trying in the WG, let me know.

kind of off-topic here, but how "bad" are dimebuckers? A friend of mine has a few and is willing to sell me one for cheap. He likes dimebuckers, and I like his sound.(it could have alot to do with his Warhead full-stack tho, lol) anyway, He wouldn't rip me off with a bad pickup, but I hear bad stuff about 'em on UG.
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Mar 2, 2007,
^how much are you paying? If not much, buy it and try it. I have never heard one, but I think that everybody who says that they suck haven't heard one either. Give it a try!
I think i'll get it anyway, and throw it in there before I put the distortion in it. I'll probably stick with the distortion, but it can't hurt to hang onto the dime either...

Yes, the eye bolts are a personal touch, as I said in the 1st post, lol.

anywho...minor updates. a few pics from yesterday:

damn, this thing is nasty. trust me, the pics make it look better than it is.

I don't know if u can see it in the pics, but theres huge paint bubbles anywhere thats supposed to be covered...i.e. under the pickups, under the neck slot, behind the plastic covers on the back....I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's pretty disgusting. She'll be a beauty in time tho

pickups.

wiring.
thats it for now. I guess I'll be sanding for the next few days.
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Mar 2, 2007,
So, i'm in the early sanding stages. It's taking a while, but I don't want to rush it. I'll have a few more pics soon. But for now, Heres roughly what I'm thinking, using Kisekae. again, excuse the poor photoshopping.

thoughts?
^do that!
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
that looks great man.

dont stop!

Quote by steven seagull
Thanks guys. I really hope the end result looks somthing like that. the crow is supposed to be darker tho.
OK, updates.
I got a fair bit of sanding done today. I chopped the horns down a little and rounded them a little more. I also cut those scallop thingy's on either sides of the neck. Changed the design a little. I'm extremely happy with the progress I made today. I'll be finishing up the shaping and sanding tomorrow.

I have more done than what the pic shows. Camera ran out of batteries so I couldn't get a pic of when I finished for the day.

theres a nice shot of the wood^^, one of you guys was wondering what kind of wood it was.

upper horn

lower horn.

*question: when I'm ready for paint, would I need a coat of primer on there?
leave it the way it is!

its awesome like that
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
primer/sealer, yes.

and i think the blue and white looks cool, (or whatever that is)

i'd leave it like that.

Quote by steven seagull
lol, thats the layers of paint, clear, and metallic silver undercoat. It does look pretty sick!
but like I said, those pics were taken earlier in the sanding process, so theres not as much of that going on now...even still tho, it looks pretty awesome as it is right now.

I've never seen a finish like that before(except a few small spots on Hetfields truckster) but mines over the whole body...It could be a trade mark thing, lol. Van Halen's frankenstien paintjob was a mistake, and that guitar turned out to be world famous, lol.
anywho...I think I'll leave it as is...should I put a few coats of clear on it? also, it looks dusty still...buit it's not dust, u can't wipe it off. what should I do?
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Mar 6, 2007,
its not dust, it's your finish that is rough after the sanding. Try to do some fine-grit sanding, and see if that helps

and I think you should go for the white eagle

and the wood, could be basswood or agathis I think
Quote by m_hedborg

and the wood, could be basswood or agathis I think

wood is basswood. says washburn site.

Quote by steven seagull
Awwww that is sweet! I love the horns now, can't wait to see you finish this thing. it looks awesome.
yeah, i was gonna say basswood, the grain is really straight.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by vsabinring
Awwww that is sweet! I love the horns now, can't wait to see you finish this thing. it looks awesome.

yeah, I couldn't be happier with the horns now. They turned out pretty sweet.
I changed my mind again about the paint. Although the sanded blue looks cool, It looks bad around the area's where the horns are cut off. SO I'm gonna stick with the white design.

also, the original strap buttons are going back on it, or maybe even strap-locks.
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Mar 7, 2007,
i think its basswood judging by how closed the grain is,
looks awesome bud!
keep up the good work
It's probably not necissary for what I'm doing, but I got it pretty much all sanded down to the wood. Looks very clean and nice. tomorrow I'll be finishing smoothing and rounding off some edges, and cleaning up inside the cavities. so by tomorrow afternoon, it should be ready for paint.
can u buy primer/sealer in a spray can?
Yes you can.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
You should be able to get away with about 4 or 5 light coats of primer.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Gotchya. can u buy primer/sealer anywhere u buy spray paint? I'm gonna pick up my paint today, so hopefully I can get it all at the same place.
also, how many coats of clear coat would I need for a nice glossy finish? and do I have to sand between every coat of primer/paint/clear?
Page 1 of 2