Ok, so, about 4 months ago a friend of mine gave me a nice old Traynor Bassmate YBA-2b. How can I complain about that right? Ok, so I'm not complaining so much, but, it has no speaker, and I'm really cheap. I was hoping that maybe you folks could help me figure out what to do with it. I'm considering poppin the chassis out and making it into a head and then building a cab for it using smaller speakers maybe a 2x12. I may also make a new baffle and do a 2x8... And of course just put a 15 in. My problem is I'm getting conflicting reports as to the wattage I should have for the speakers. It's sposed to be a 15 watt amp, I read 22 though as well as 50 and that it can handle a 100 watt speaker... So, I'm confused and dying to play on it too. I really don't wanna spend much money, practically broke right now. I do have a 290 watt Cordovox.. huge, has 2x12 setup, but it's too big for me. I'm planning to sell it, but I'm open to using the speakers in it if they have the same ratings as I need. Doubtful I'll find much about them though. So, anything you all can suggest for options and information, really would appreciate it.
Ok, so maybe I'm gettin a lil more wordy than I should be. With tube amps what should I worry about wattage wise when considering a replacement speaker? Considering I don't know for sure what my amp's wattage is I just need to know what I can likely use.
Anything above 25w up to about 75 should do you fine.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ok, so, I have another question here. Heh, there is a well priced speaker in the paper but it's rated at 120 watts.... I don't wanna blow anything, how likely would it saftely work to use it?
It will work fine, just don't expect to get any speaker breakup or having the speaker colour the sound a great deal.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."