Page 1 of 2
I know this has been posted before about a million times but hey anyway. What would be the best pickup to put in at the bridge on my samick. it has a floyd rose so i know the pickups has to work with that and I'm on a tight budget I'm in the UK so buying from american sites isn't that conevient (only if it is a great bargain! ) so if anyone could help me

edit: here's a thread about my samick https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532439 pics near the bottom of the page
EMG 85 is what i got. totaly worth $100
Quote by andy_thomas
That depends, when you look at a map is west left or right?

If you think I care about what you say to me you are sadly mistaken.
dimarzio super distortion

and the dimarzio X2N looks uber metal but i dont think it sounds good SO IV E HEARD
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
swineshead, if you're on a budget.

though, what's your amp? and what do you mean by metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My amp is a VOX AD30VT and soon will be getting a laney LC15R but i want to change the p-up at the bridge first i heard about the swineshead xbucker and like the look of it but im not sure.i'm also considering the bill lawrence xl500 as dimebag used it and so did nuno bettencourt but hey are these anyy good oh and I don't want the hassle of active p-ups cos i want decent cleans too think metallica style cleans even tho they use emg 81s but hey. yeh

edit: i meen like metallica and slayer kind of distortion similar to that of children of bodom i know alex laiho or whatever has a emg hz on his guitar what about that.

EMG baby.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I haven't tried the BL's, though I hear good things. I haven't tried the schaller one.

Are you sure you want a laney lc for metal? it wouldn't be my first choice...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bill Lawrence Is A GREAT choice!! I put one in a washburn X-12 (Basswood body) and it made the guitar! hated the tone of the guitar before that, now it's . But thats just my opinion(and experience), I could be wrong!!! ( EMG's are next on my list for my Dimeslime!!!!)
Prong =
Quote by Dave_Mc
Are you sure you want a laney lc for metal? it wouldn't be my first choice...

Yeh cos i got pedals i use for distortion i would just like a nice clean channel and a mid range overdrive setting for the less metal things i play like QOTSA. I will buy a 2x12 to get a louder sound after too. Its just a nice little amp and anyway

I'm not sure on the Bill Lawrence anymore cos the shipping from america will be pricey so its now between a schaller hot stuff, swineshead xbucker and i found another p-up the shadow sh680 which will work well with my floyd.

for helping
definitely buy a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker. Rediculous amount of treble and gain added just because of a $90 pickup.
Any good brand pup would be an upgrade in itself. However, with my experience with pups, changing them adds less detail to overall sound. Any of them would be quieter and a little more responsive. But it's not balls out night and day difference.

I would suggest:

Seymour Duncan JB (avoid the invader, too muddy)
Seymour Duncan SH-6
Seymour Duncan Custom
(go to their website and listen to their sound bytes)

EMG 81/85

Dimarzio Air norton
Dimarzio Hot PAF

All are subjective.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by Ghost901
definitely buy a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker. Rediculous amount of treble and gain added just because of a $90 pickup.

don't, it's terrible. and about £90. yuck.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check the Swinesheads for sure. I guess the Venom or XBucker would probably be best.
Hmm... how about buying them in Poland? There is a great pickup brand here called Merlin. It's run by one dude, he handwinds custom humbuckers. I use Thrasher/Hellfire pickups and tell you what? They ****ing beat the EMGs with their tone. Check that out. The website is unfortunately in polish but... www.merlinpickups.com
^yeh i couldn't understand any of that site but i get the idea. i'm definetley considering the swineshead xbucker and schaller hot stuff but i have found the EMG 81 for £60 including delivery so im thinking about that. is it possible to mix active and passive pickups or would it be 2much faf but yeh the swineshead and schaller pickups look quite good.

edit:how much is the merlin hellfire pickup and how do i order it? i can;t speak anything but english so yeh a little help please
Last edited by mrperson at Mar 3, 2007,
^ you can mix active and passive, but you need separate controls for each.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dimarzio ToneZone, Super Distortion, Steve Special
i love Dimarzio
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ you can mix active and passive, but you need separate controls for each.

so like a volume for each and a tone for each. that wont work then. i may buy a cheap active single coil as well as the 81 but i still think that the avtive route will be too expensive. i really would like a blade style humbucker cos dime used them but the swinesheads just look too good to miss. so yeh it still is between the schaller and swined head cos i'm not sure on emgs
^ yeah, you need separate tone and volume knobs, far as I'm aware.

Swineys are definitely very good, i have a set. Highly recommended, especially for the price.

I haven't tried the schaller, though, so i can't comment on that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
after a bit of calculating and currency converting i can afford the bill lawrence l500xl so i'm gonna forget about the schaller and now about the bill lawrence. i think the bill lawrence would probably get me the sound i want but i think the swineshead may be just as good. I'm probably gonna get a really low output single coil for the neck for good cleans and i'm gona have the coil tap checked out on the samick cos it doesn't do much.

edit:what set of swineys do you have cos i would like to hear about them
What would be the best single coil or single coil size humbucker for the neck pickup. I want something i can use when sweepp picking and with decent to good cleans. And i'm def gonna get the bill lawrence L500XL
Last edited by mrperson at Mar 5, 2007,
i have a warthog bridge, spotlight middle and condor neck in an ibanez rg.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i have a warthog bridge, spotlight middle and condor neck in an ibanez rg.

thanks....so i saw the seymour duncan hotrails, a dimarzio fast track 2 and a axesrus blade single. which would be best i'm also considering the little 59' by semour duncan

edit:little 59' http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_sl591b.htm
Fast Track http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp182.htm
NEar middle of page the 9k blade single coil http://www.axesrus.com/axepickup.htm
Last edited by mrperson at Mar 6, 2007,
so am i better at having the 59' more than a normal single coil? I'm thinking of the 59 as alot of metal guys use it and also so did dime! he is god
In reply to your question: ordering them yourself might be tricky. PM me if you decide to get them, and I'll arrange something. The cost of 2 hellfires would be about 120 dollars.
i've only tried the hot rails, I don't like it much.

The 59 isn't very hot at all (bear in mind I'm talking about the humbucker version, not the single coil sized one)... it's quite nice. I'd expect the single coil sized one to sound different though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh right and i know the 59' is low output but dime used one and also the hot rails have a bad reputation. so i'm not sure.
^ my guess is that dime used the '59 for cleans, and bluesier passages (which it does well) and used his bill lawrence for the distorted bits.

You could do something similar with swineshead (or indeed virtually any pickup manufacturer)- go high output in the bridge (say, SH venom), and then lower output in the neck (say runaway)... it normally works out ok. In your case, you'd have to go spotlight in the neck... that might be a little low output, but you would get great cleans and vintage tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ my guess is that dime used the '59 for cleans, and bluesier passages (which it does well) and used his bill lawrence for the distorted bits.

dime used the 59' for soloing. It has a nice sound on the record but im not sure. I would like something that has good cleans and would be good for sweep picking. I'm definetley going for a Bill Lawrence tho. I like the look of the dragonfly on the swineshead site. The sound sample sounds great!
^ email swineshead to see, then. jon gives great advice.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
right i've amailed them so are u sure i'd be better of with a single coil than a single coil sized humbucker?
^ depends what you're after, really. The major problem with a lot of the single coil-sized humbuckers is that they lose that nice sparkle and presence that true single coils have, but don't have the girth of a humbucker either- they're almost like a worst of both worlds kind of thing, a definite compromise.

However, if you need a neck humbucker tone, that's your only concern, and only have a single coil space at the neck position, a single coil-sized humbucker will probably get you a bit closer than a true single (even if it doesn't sound as "good", to some people's ears), but still probably won't get you 100% of the way there. However, the neck position is a little warmer sounding anyway, because of the string vibrations, so a neck single coil-sized humbucker can sound more like a humbucker than a bridge single coil-sized humbucker.

I'm not helping, am I?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well That does help enough. So I have decided to get maybe a dragonfly by swineshead because Of It's clean sound and its a relatively high output for a single coil. I'm gonna have the money for the bill lawrence next month so thats when im gonna get that
^ cool. Let us know how they turn out!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok I'll keep this thread up again when i get the pickups
and thanks guys

this is gonna be awesome
Page 1 of 2