I\\\\\\\'m interested in this Alienware laptop that has loads a great feature, in which I upgraded to:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Intel 945GM + ICH7 Chipset
120 GB HD @ 5400 RPM
Intel GMA 950 Extreme Graphics
Windows Vista Home Premium
Dual Layer DVD RW

I upgraded the processor (GHz), RAM (GB), HD (GB), Vista Home Premium (from Home Basic), and dual layer dvd burner (from regular burner). Everything else is stock and started at $849.00. With all of the upgrades, the price increases to $1,269.00.

Now I would\\\\\\\'ve bought this right there, but when I was about to check out, damn thing was about to charge me $99 for shipping and $69 for tax! So the price rises up to more than $1400 which is too much. I\\\\\\\'m really pissed that they have such shitty checkout rates but I still really want this computer.

So I\\\\\\\'m opting to go back to 1GB of RAM which would deduct 200 dollars, which goes back down to $1200 with shipping and tax and I\\\\\\\'d be able to afford it. However, I\\\\\\\'d still like 2GB of RAM and I was wondering:

Could I open the laptop up later and buy a cheap RAM set off of eBay and upgrade it by myself. In other words, are laptops upgradeable/customizeable after factory setup?

Here\\\'s the link:
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/sentia_3450.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-SENTIA-3450&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
Last edited by Vagine Regime at Feb 28, 2007,
Quote by Vagine Regime
I\\\'m interested in this Alienware laptop that has loads a great feature, in which I upgraded to:

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Intel 945GM + ICH7 Chipset
120 GB HD @ 5400 RPM
Intel GMA 950 Extreme Graphics
Windows Vista Home Premium
Dual Layer DVD RW

I upgraded the processor (GHz), RAM (GB), HD (GB), Vista Home Premium (from Home Basic), and dual layer dvd burner (from regular burner). Everything else is stock and started at $849.00. With all of the upgrades, the price increases to $1,269.00.

Now I would\\\'ve bought this right there, but when I was about to check out, damn thing was about to charge me $99 for shipping and $69 for tax! So the price rises up to more than $1400 which is too much. I\\\'m really pissed that they have such shitty checkout rates but I still really want this computer.

So I\\\'m opting to go back to 1GB of RAM which would deduct 200 dollars, which goes back down to $1200 with shipping and tax and I\\\'d be able to afford it. However, I\\\'d still like 2GB of RAM and I was wondering:

Could I open the laptop up later and buy a cheap RAM set off of eBay and upgrade it by myself. In other words, are laptops upgradeable after factory setup?

Here\'s the link:
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/sentia_3450.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-SENTIA-3450&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

You could say goodbye to the warranty...
Upgrading laptop RAM isn't as difficult as other components in the laptop. It's probably the easiest.
Quote by Dobzilla
Upgrading laptop RAM isn\\\'t as difficult as other components in the laptop. It\\\'s probably the easiest.

So it\\\'s do-able?

What\\\'s harder to upgrade?
if you went with apple you can always just buy RAM later on and just pop it in

what are you gonna be using the comp for anyway?
becasue that could help decide if you need that much RAM or not
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
$69 for tax? That's like £35, don't complain. Us Brits would pay more tax than that

I personally would save and get the laptop I want, not a downgraded version
Quote by ledzep1023
if you went with apple you can always just buy RAM later on and just pop it in

what are you gonna be using the comp for anyway?
becasue that could help decide if you need that much RAM or not

It's actually for my mom for average computer usage but I'd also want to use it to play games such as CS:S.

Plus the recommended minimum with Vista is 1GB of RAM. I'd hate to be using just the minimum amount.
Quote by alexlemon2
$69 for tax? That's like £35, don't complain. Us Brits would pay more tax than that

I personally would save and get the laptop I want, not a downgraded version

...this IS the laptop that I'd want. The only difference between my ideal setup and what I can actually afford without feeling ripped off is 1GB of difference in RAM.

I think it's wiser to buy cheaper RAM on eBay and not spend an extra 200 for it...
for normal uses ud probably only need 1GB Ram
but for CS's ud be better off w/ 2
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
don't buy an alien ware, yeah they look cool but if ur going for performance within budget u can do alot better.

basically just doing research will prove to be good seeing as for the price your gonna pay for the look of the laptop and the name is going to totally rip you off.

Laptops are not usually customizable but it is possible. when customizing it you would most likey have to take it to a comp shop as fiddling round with it will be a big hassle and making sure u have the correct compatible components isnt as easy as a desktop pc.

Personally i would go for a desktop PC but i dunno what your wanting it for ( school or such) so seriously dont just go for it bc it looks cool and its called alien ware as many people fall into that trap.

regarding the specs, they r not really that top notch for what your going to pay. Your ram is fine if you opt for 2 gig seeing as your going to run vista which at the moment is still process demanding. Your CPU speed isnt that much of a beast either but for simple functions will be ok. Graphics card looks like a 64mb one, no chance of playing latest games not old 1ns really. HDD is pretty small, putting music films ect will fill it up pretty quickly even though u could opt for an external HDD

My advice really is just to research more into what your looking for and dont just jump for as said many times before its looks and name.
Quote by Lethal.7
don't buy an alien ware, yeah they look cool but if ur going for performance within budget u can do alot better.
Links to better deals? I'm not buying for looks or brand loyalty. In fact, I didn't care for alienware until I saw this.

basically just doing research will prove to be good seeing as for the price your gonna pay for the look of the laptop and the name is going to totally rip you off.
I've compared it to www.cyberpowerpc.com which is one of the most renowned customizing computer sites. the prices and deals are about the same. For laptops, I like the features on alienware better. In fact, the alienware setup I want is $200 cheaper for the same setup on CPPC, which still doesn't have dual layer burner options for laptops. I don't think I'm getting ripped off at all.

Personally i would go for a desktop PC but i dunno what your wanting it for ( school or such) so seriously dont just go for it bc it looks cool and its called alien ware as many people fall into that trap.
My mom wants a laptop. I'm buying a cyberpower PC next year. But I'd still go all out on this one anyway.

regarding the specs, they r not really that top notch for what your going to pay.
They may not be TOP notch, but they're pretty damn good. Core 2 Duo is one of the most powerful PCU on the market right now...at least for the average computer. And again, comparing to Cyberpowerpc, the prices are about the same.
Your CPU speed isnt that much of a beast either but for simple functions will be ok.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Before just looking at GHz, you have to realize that it's a Core 2 Duo. So even with 1.82 GHz, it's still extremely fast.

Graphics card looks like a 64mb one, no chance of playing latest games not old 1ns really.
It's a 256 MB graphic card with similar performance quality of a higher end nVidia GeForce card.

HDD is pretty small, putting music films ect will fill it up pretty quickly even though u could opt for an external HDD
I upgraded it to 120GB. It's enough for laptop usage.

My advice really is just to research more into what your looking for and dont just jump for as said many times before its looks and name.

I really don't see how there can be that much better deals than what I'm looking at right now, especially when sites such as www.cyberpowerpc.com and alienware are recommended by most avid computer users.