Page 1 of 2
whats up guys, i was at guitar center the other day tryin out some new basses. i tried out a schecter stilletto, EB musicman, and a marcus miller jazz bass. i like them all but the marcus miller had such a good, solid feel to it and i loved the way it sounded. but my buddy (my guitarist) said getting signature guitars just shows youre a noob. is that true? is it looked down upon?

also, any recomendations(sp?) on the three basses i tried.some brief reviews and possibly some MSRPs?

is an Ampeg BA-115 a good amp? i play a lot of funk but sometimes ill play metal and metalcore or should i save a lil more for an Ampeg BA-210 with effects (which i heard are useless)

thanks
If your friend said getting a signature bass is being a noob, that means he is a newb. When i played the marcus miller bass, i loved it, it was one of the best basses i played for the price. Another bass that is pretty good that people will recommend will be the geddy lee, but i have never tried one so i wouldn't know.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

It doesn't make you a noob at all. Signature basses will have slight adjustments, meaning they'll be better suited to some players than others. ou buy a signature because you either want to show off a wee bit (nothing wrong with that) and because it suits you as a player.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Ya its a nice bass.And the ampeg is nice to..Ur friend is ****ing stupid if he says its nooby to get a sig bass.If you really like it then get it dont listen to ur friend.But ya try out a warwick rockbass to lol i tried all those other guitars and i loved the rockbass but people have other opinons so go with watever u like.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Your friend is talking through his anus in all respects. An expensive MM Jazz bass is very good quality bass and the price is enough to drive 'noobs' away- why would a noob, who doesn't know anything about basses, buy a Marcus Miller Jazz. Just ignore him, maybe its just sour milk (jealousy) and i have heard lots of great reports about the MM jazz.
signature
thanks guys whats the normal price youve seen the MM jazz basses go for? at GC it's like 1200 is that a good price? i just want to make sure im getting a good deal

thanks
You should break your friend's kneecaps for saying that.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Bumper
Applehead is a newb.

no he must be some kind of super newb cos he had a mm jazz i believe and now he's buying a fender stu hamm urge 2 bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Alright, your buddy is incompetent! Get rid of him, don't ever talk to him again!

Signature Basses are good becuse they are set up to one particualr player. If you like that type of Mono sound (You will ONLY get ONE sound out of a signature Bass. Out of my experience anyway..) Then go for it. I, personally can't stand it, but it is totally up to you!

Plus, dont' have people telling you your opinions! Form your own!
so would you recomend the jazz bass. is it good for slap stuff and maybe a little metal here and there. maybe if i buy a distortion pedal or something. i was hopin that the amped ba-115 is loud enough. it seemed pretty loud when i tried it out and i was at like 4. i only play local gigs like at most 150 ppl with 2 other guitarists and a drummer. i just want to be heard.
No way, the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass is ace as hell. It's a "noob" thing to buy a signature bass just because it's a signature, sure.

But guitarists do that more often than bassists. It's also pretty bad in guitar-world because the signature guitars are priced way higher than they should be, take the Kirk Hammet ESP for instance, the price is at least a grand higher than it should be just because they beat it up first and people want to be like Kirk, kinda like the Jaco bass, only it happens a lot with guitars. So your guitarist friend's belief isn't totally skewed. You just gotta remember that Bass and Guitar are two different worlds in some areas
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Few things are totally one way or the other.

Your guitarist was wrong if he said the MM Jazz sig was a bad bass, because it in particular is quite a great bass from all the reviews im hearing.

But in the general aspect of Signature guitars/basses, they tend to be more geared as marketing ploys to get ignorant beginner musicians to buy into it.

Bad signature instrument eg's: Squier sigs (along with other sigs from low lvl companies), Tom delonge sig (put it in cuz not sure if its a fender or squier), Billi Joe Greenday Sig, etc.

Good sig instruments: Steve vai's ibanez JEM Series, MM Jazz, Mark Hoppus sig (surprisingly)

You cant generalize too much with signature guitars/basses tho, because, as you can see, even 2 musicians in the same band may have one Good sig and one bad.

But we do know that: Not ALL sigs are completely bad or good. What you're guitarist said was the guitar equivalent of a racist generalization.
Quote by mangablade
Bad signature instrument eg's: Squier sigs (along with other sigs from low lvl companies), Tom delonge sig (put it in cuz not sure if its a fender or squier),

It's a Gibson. Fender and Squier used to have his sig strat though, the Squier was like $200 and the Fender was significantly more. A Tom Delonge Fender with a Floyd Rose is still my dream guitar.
Quote by Hiptser
whats up guys, i was at guitar center the other day tryin out some new basses. i tried out a schecter stilletto, EB musicman, and a marcus miller jazz bass. i like them all but the marcus miller had such a good, solid feel to it and i loved the way it sounded. but my buddy (my guitarist) said getting signature guitars just shows youre a noob. is that true? is it looked down upon?

also, any recomendations(sp?) on the three basses i tried.some brief reviews and possibly some MSRPs?

is an Ampeg BA-115 a good amp? i play a lot of funk but sometimes ill play metal and metalcore or should i save a lil more for an Ampeg BA-210 with effects (which i heard are useless)

thanks

no its not looked down upon
the marcus miller is a great bass

schecter stilletto - good affordable bass, great sound

Musicman - high dollar stuff, great bass but you need the dough. better to spend that 1300 on an ampeg stack

marcus miller - excellent jazz bass, good feel and sound and lightweight

basically theyre all good basses
and tell youre "Friend" to get bent

the ba-115 is a great combo (i have one) and its got a great sound

for about 100 dollars more you can get the ba-115t which uses one preamp tube for tube sound

but the SS one is still great
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
wow ur guitarist is a homo, id do some bad things to get my hands on bb kings lucille or whoever has that fretless presicion!
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
i actually dont kno which ba115 it was but how much does the ba115t cost? the MM sig i played had a good amount of wieght to it tho. i tried to pm whoever was selling the ampeg but their pm box was full.

thabks again guys
Dude.
Sig basses are pointless when their are better ones for a lower price (mike dirnt bass)

But the Marcus Miller bass and Geddy Lee are better than the american jazzes imo.

I tried the marcus miller bass out and it was ****ing awsome!
I'm saving up for it.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Hiptser
i actually dont kno which ba115 it was but how much does the ba115t cost? the MM sig i played had a good amount of wieght to it tho. i tried to pm whoever was selling the ampeg but their pm box was full.

thabks again guys

on music123 the ba-115 is 350 whereas the ba-115t is 450

its basically up to you in terms of sound

volume isnt an issue with either one
that 15 inch throws sound like crazy and with the tube its even louder

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

maybe he said that because you don't see many other good guitarist/bassist using other good people's signature models.
Quote by Bumper
Applehead is a newb.

Quote by skater dan0
no he must be some kind of super newb cos he had a mm jazz i believe and now he's buying a fender stu hamm urge 2 bass

I just didnt know what to buy because i had just started bass, so because i knew who Marcus Miller was, i got his bass and thought it would be good. I liked it, but now i prefer Stu Hamm as a player so i've sold Marcus Miller and got Stu's bass.

Can anyone help me with the tuning? is E the thick one? i thought it was but my friend said you tune the thick one to G and then the thin one is E. I've tried that and now my neck looks so bowed, i could kill you if i had some arrows.

Quote by epy
id do some bad things to get my hands on bb kings lucille

have you played it? it's really heavy man! i disliked it due to it's weight, and i was practically drooling when the guy was getting it down for me. it's so damn pretty
Last edited by Applehead at Mar 1, 2007,
i would ditch my friend but he's been my best friend for like 4 years and hes a good guitarist. but we do have our little disaggreements like me wanting to be heard and write sick bass lines when he wants to play metal core which to him the bass should go "dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum" one one note which is realboring. i just sont want to be a minority in the band and want to play stuff where the bass is actually real important .o well im ranting lol. i think he thinks that if someone buys a signature guitar, the do it thinking they will become better or as good as the artist who's sig it is you know? or he is in fact jealous cuz he usually is jealous atthe stuff i get due to the fact that im spoiled
Quote by Applehead
Can anyone help me with the tuning? is E the thick one? i thought it was but my friend said you tune the thick one to G and then the thin one is E. I've tried that and now my neck looks so bowed, i could kill you if i had some arrows

Always knows hwo to make me laugh - remember that time I'd just started using the forums and you made me think you were a total n00b by asking me what a root note was? Ahh, good times.

Certain sig. basses are really nice, in looks and sound - the MM J Bass is one of those. I also love the look and sound of the Sting P Bass which is surprisingly similar to the Mike Dirnt sig. P Bass.

I've also heard that with a decent amp the Mark Hoppus sig. Fender is an incredibly versatile bass. My only objection to it is the P pup. I hate playing fingerstyle or slap on a bass with a single P pup - horrible.

So ignore your friend and choose the bass you want to choose. However, as a Musicman advocate, I'll always recommend the Stingray.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Hiptser
i would ditch my friend but he's been my best friend for like 4 years and hes a good guitarist. but we do have our little disaggreements like me wanting to be heard and write sick bass lines when he wants to play metal core which to him the bass should go "dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum" one one note which is realboring. i just sont want to be a minority in the band and want to play stuff where the bass is actually real important .o well im ranting lol. i think he thinks that if someone buys a signature guitar, the do it thinking they will become better or as good as the artist who's sig it is you know? or he is in fact jealous cuz he usually is jealous atthe stuff i get due to the fact that im spoiled

look you can stay friends with him but judging from that little insight no band of yours and his will work

try and compromise

HEAVY metal
ie Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Some Rob Zombie stuff and alot of White zombie stuff has really sick basslines to it

try and find a middle ground without shit vocals :P jk, but seriously try to be more like that because it should suit both your desires musically

yeah we just decided that we would have to have 2 sounds really. a metal/ metalcore sound, and a funks rock sound cuz i like to slap but he cant leave his heavy arse distortion. it is hard tho to play stuff like RHCP, robert randolph and the FB, and rush, to all that remains and as i lay dying and stuff like that at a show i think having two sounds will kind of confuse people.
dude chill i was being sarcastic. personally i love the su hamm 2 i've wanted one since i started playing but on topic there are two sides to this arguement.

you can either argue that sig basses are good if you are looking for a similar sound to that bassist
or you can say that they are overpriced and for posers who just wanna say they have a sig bass

personally i'm feeling a bit of both yes i like sig basses but for the most part they are way too pricey for my taste and my wallet
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
ya, if you are good enough you should be able to make / play basslines that will both flow with the music and also be enjoyable to play. guitarist wants you to lay on one note so he doesnt have to chord as well, but if you can get around on the fret board you should have no problem playing a sweet line, and having him not say anything cus its good

but realize your not lead guitar, while bass is important, its not (generally) ones role to me doing a bass solo all song long
Quote by jaebee
ya, if you are good enough you should be able to make / play basslines that will both flow with the music and also be enjoyable to play. guitarist wants you to lay on one note so he doesnt have to chord as well, but if you can get around on the fret board you should have no problem playing a sweet line, and having him not say anything cus its good

but realize your not lead guitar, while bass is important, its not (generally) ones role to me doing a bass solo all song long

very true

probably shouldve mentioned some of that

yeah if your basslines arent good then shut up and sit down

not sayin yours arent good. just a little note

but if you can play a really good bassline to groove along with the song then he should have no problem

unless hes some kind of bass racist

like a bascist

and do remember, playing a song should be fun but you arent the lead guitar, bass solos are good but . like guitar solos, they need to serve the song, not your own personal fantasy

Page 1 of 2