ok i tried reading the sticky before posting so dont get mad at me guys if i didn't understand what was being explained.

ok me and my friends just formed a band we are basically beginners and the most advanced person in the band is me i been playing for 2 years and i dont consider myself to be that good i can do basics such as pull-offs,bends vibratos,chords the basic stuff you guys know

well the problem is trying to find something we can all play or trying to create something

for example we could play as i lay dying me and my friend who are the guitarists in the band because guitar stuff is simple but drummer no way in hell could play drums that great. he is just starting out so he can do only very basic beats.

when i play with drummer i have no problem i just do chords or simple power chords and he is able to create a nice beat but it gets very repetitive because just hearing chords becomes really annoying after playing for a while

my friend who has a trauma with major or minor chords he doesnt want to learn them but im forcing the guy to learn them he can only do power chords and he cant solo very well

so the thing is im supposed to be lead guitar my friend would play rhytmn guitar doing power chord stuff and drummer is supposed to make a beat

but there lies the problem i can only solo with blues scale and by that i mean minor "A" pentatonic scale over a backing track

so basically what could i do to learn how to solo? i tried reading some stuff around and i think is too in depth for example some articles explain whole step and half step and how scales are formed

also can somebody explain me what keys are in music and how they work?

like for example somebody is doing chord progression and i try to solo with minor a pentatonic scale i dont know when to change to other areas of the fretboard or if to keep playing on same area?

i don't think i explained myself very clearly but basically my question is could you guys point us in the right direction in how to start playing stuff with the band?
go take lessons and find more talented friends
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
i'm too high to explain all that other stuff, but looking/listening at your hero's solos and repeating them and analyzing stuff helps and stuff.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Ok man here is what you should do, you said you know A pentatonic minor scale right?

guess that is

e------------------------------5-8
B-------------------------5-8----
G--------------------5-7---------
D--------------5-7---------------
A--------5-7---------------------
E--5-8---------------------------

Right?(otherwise you should get a new teacher, or another book)
That scale is the A pentatonic, if you moved every note you play in that scale two frets back, you would have G pentatonic, and so on.

Learn that over and over, then get a very easy song with very small overdrive (Doesn't remind me by Audioslave is a great song for this, although the bridge is tricky if you don't know shit about chords like your friend) and ask your friends to learn the song and try to play it, instead of going crazy with the solo try to improvise on the scale of the song (Doesn't remind me is in E) and get a couple of licks out of the improvisation, try it many times with different songs and start increasing the level with time, it will help you out a lot.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
e------------------------------5-8
B-------------------------5-8----
G--------------------5-7---------
D--------------5-7---------------
A--------5-7---------------------
E--5-8---------------------------

yeah that's the scale i know i also know the other one which is very similar with the little extra notes

(Doesn't remind me by Audioslave is a great song

i tried playing something over that but it sounds awful because it sounds like a cacophony of sounds

what could i do let's say if i wanted to play over this chord progression

C major, A major,G major and repeat on and on

i appreciated ur help guys

i'm too high to explain all that other stuff, but looking/listening at your hero's solos and repeating them and analyzing stuff helps and stuff.

yeah i get some ideas from there but usually my heroes in music are extremely technical in their passages so makes it a little hard to try to incorporate to my playing style
SCALES ARE GROUPS OF NOTES NOT PATTERNS.

Find out what notes are in the scale. Now, if you play those just those notes on the fretboard, regardless of where, you will still be in A minor.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Oh yeah, I beat bangoodcharlotte to it! Look up Marty Friedman - Melodic Control on google video. Its the best thing in the world.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums