Page 1 of 2
Am I crazy?

I absolutely love the distortion of the new V2 Randall. The reviews I have read are nothing but spectacular.

I have heard sound clips and think it is amazing.

Plus, it has 300 watts, not the 100 of the powerball. Believe it or not, with our drummer, I need to be louder.

What is your opinion. Am I crazy to do this?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike
you're crazy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how is the powerball not loud enough? what speakers are you using? how do you have the dials set? are you sure it's just not old tubes? etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well if you like the Randall then you should get it, thats all that matters man!
^ agreed, but I'm not sure if he realises that being solid state, a lot of that 300 watt wattage is to maximise the headroom. In all probability, the engl is the same volume.

also, the v2, while not a shit hybrid, just kind of sounds like a tube preamp. if you like power amp dirt/colouration in your tone, the powerball will be better, I'd have thought.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It could be old tubes I suppose.

But, I have had the amp for a while and it doesn't sound any different.

Now, don't get me wrong. The amp is amazing. I love it. But, the sound of the V2 just blew me away. As soon as I heard it, I thought to myself "I gotta have that sound!"

So, this is not due to me not liking my sound. I am thinking perhaps I should just buy a 31 band eq for the powerball.

Mike
i say you are crazy

add an extra 2x12 cab maybe and tell that drummer to be quieter, he doesnt need to hit the drums that hard
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Quote by REPOMAN
How much are you charging for the Powerball?

I would be selling it with the Z-5 footswitch. I would put it on eBay and expect 1400 to 1500 for the head and pedal, plus $50 shipping.
Quote by m_ikona

Now, don't get me wrong. The amp is amazing. I love it. But, the sound of the V2 just blew me away. As soon as I heard it, I thought to myself "I gotta have that sound!"

So, this is not due to me not liking my sound. I am thinking perhaps I should just buy a 31 band eq for the powerball.

Mike

if you've tried it and liked it, then by all means go for it.

but if it's a loudness thing, you'd need to try both through the exact same cab to see which is louder- it's not just a numbers game.

also, how loud do you have the powerball? up full, I assume?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for 1500 you have a wide horizon so before you settle on one just try out alot imo!
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
ill buy the powerball

What is your price.

Where are you located?

I would prefer paypal. I have a perfect rating on eBay, so I can be trusted.
Probably, have you actually tried the Randall out?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Well in theory yes, because your sorta downgrading the amp quality from Valve to Hybrid.. But tbh its not a mistake if you really prefere the Randall over the Engl.

Also, how long do you have the Engl and have you ever changed the tubes?
No I haven't. I wouldn't sell it until I did try it. But, the clips I have heard sound great!

I haven't been able to locate a place that has one of the heads yet.

I will continue to look.

Mike
Quote by Generalpwnt
Clips can lie.

and usually do...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
where did you get the clips from? if they are from the randall site, those clips dont do the amp justice, it sounds so much better when you actually play it compared to those clips.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Quote by m_ikona

Mike

you haven't changed the tubes in 4 years? time for new tubes my friend. At least before you sell it, you can advertise new tubes that way also.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^:O 4 years?? Damn man!! No wonder the volume is so low!!
Tubes last on averiage a year only, you have to retube it before you sell, either that or knock off $150..
Serious tho you will love it once new tubes are in!! Its Engl for gods sake!! lol
Well to start off, CHANGE THE TUBES! This will improve your sound so much. Your tubes are old, so your sound will improve loads after changing tubes.

Also try out the amp. As you said you heard clips...
But those clips were recorded with studio equipment and the sound was eq'ed and such so those will not show you what the amp actually sounds like. Don't even consider selling your ENGL without having changed tubes and tried the Randall.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You're crazy IMO.

Why would you swap a powerball (uber valve amp) for a V2 (amazing, for a SS amp)?

Have you tried the new model of the powerball or the new ENGL E670? They would probably kick the ass off the Randall.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Look, if you like the Randall dont let people tell you its a bad idea just because it isnt tube/valve. Sure traditionally tube is better sounding. But high end Randall is good stuff. But are we seeing a pattern here?? Try it out first! Many people would kill for an ENGL, because yes, they are that good. And selling one without being absolutely positive how YOUR guitar will sound under YOUR settings in a new amp is kinda risky.

...so in other words...its like using a bad condom. Either way your going to get lucky, but when its all said and done you could have a mess on your hands...or her.
I think no...

I don't think you need louder than 100w all-tube.. And I doubt your drummer is louder then you. Unless he uses dynamite for sticks...

Either that or you need new tubes or something... Have it checked out.. Don't sell it.
A 100w tube amp is around as loud as a 250-300w solid state amp going by the theory that tube amps are perceived at about 2.5x as loud as a solid state amp.

Now with that covered, the Powerball only sounds better turned up. The Randall will would be worse due to the breakup of a solidstate amplifier (unless you're into that kind of thing?)

So really for being louder your best bet would be to stick with the ENGL.

However, I have no idea how your amp isn't loud enough to play over a drummer. If that's true, something is wrong with it and you need to have it taken in to get it fixed.

I'm loud enough to play over any drummer I've ever been with (some have been ear-plug worthy even when practicing on their own) and I only run my powerball at 3.5 MAX on the master with the channel volumes around 2/3(rhythm) and 3/4(lead)

That's loud enough with a 4x12 cab to overpower any drummer unless he's got a PA setup or he's got an electric kit plugged into something bigger than my amp..
I'm sorry man, 50 watts of all tube turned up halfway will drown out any drummers.

Theres noway in hell that your cranking 100 watt tube amp and not being heard. You can play a stadium with one, easily.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^I have a 60 watter that will drown out a drummer on about 3 CLEAN. Kick in the distortion and you can forget about it.
^ +1 on what genocide says (and most of the other guys in here).

Now, first of all, the randall isn't a bad amp- it's probably the best SS amp I've played. It's not hybrid in the way, say, an AVT is, that tube channel is, far as I know, 100% tube preamp, and it sounds it. It sounds as good as my engl does at low volumes (not scientific, I didn't try them head to head, but it does sound good, no doubt about it). However, as genocide says, the engl only sounds better the louder you crank it, which is true. While I haven't been able to crank the randall, you'd expect it has that wattage so you can turn it up more before you get SS breakup, which tends to sound harsh and crap, basically.

So, yeah. As genocide/everyone else has already said, there's something wrong if you can't drown out your drummer. At full blast, with ear plugs in, mine sounds like you're going to go deaf.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe he bought an SS amp in an ENGL amp casing or something. That's why the Randall sounds so much more kickass than his ENGL.

Let's hope that's not the case. Swap the tubes, crank it, then decide.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

OK.

I went home and moved the drumset and and half stack into the garage. It was in a small 10 x 10 room.

Additionally, my new cabinet came in yesterday. I bought a madison 4 x 12 with Celestian vintage 30s. I was playing out of 2 4 x 12 crate cabinets that cost about $200 each new.

I also bought a decimator pedal a week ago to help with the feedback.

Now, I could definitely hear over the drummer. Also, I called the guy that I bought the amp from and he replaced the tubes a year ago. I bought the head in March 06. This head was actually used on the roadrunner united CD that came out a bit ago. James Murphy played the head on this CD.

So, with the move, the new pedal and the new cabinet, it sounded really, really great and incredibly loud.

Now, I want to add more to my set up. I was thinking about a 31 band eq, a holy grail reverb and finally a bbe sonic maximizer. What do you think about adding these to my rig?

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike
you were quieter than the drummer running 2 4x12s!??!?!?! WTF?!??!?!

No ****in way.

As far as effects and stuff, the EQ and Decimator are nice. The Holy Grail rounds out the Powerball's only weakness (Noise and lack of reverb)

I'd stay away from the Maximizer, its pretty much useless on a Powerball IMO. Especially with an EQ already.
you were quieter than the drummer running 2 4x12s!??!?!?! WTF?!??!?!
QUOTE]

The speakers in the 2 4 x 12 cabs are shit.

But, I do not think that it was just the cabinets. I also think it was the small room and how the equipment was set up. Everything was so close together.

Thanks for the advice though.
^ hehe, yeah, unless without the decimator, he couldn't crank it enough without getting feedback... but a lot of that is due to the small room, presumably...

EDIT: ^ glad it's all worked out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ hehe, yeah, unless without the decimator, he couldn't crank it enough without getting feedback... but a lot of that is due to the small room, presumably...

EDIT: ^ glad it's all worked out.

The feedback was horrendous!

Now it is really nice. I was definitely able to turn it up louder.
^ yeah, that's the problem possibly. Small room, and no decimator. the decimator doesn't kill it all, but it'll help. plus, a bigger room will help.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Playing in a 10x10 room with 2 4x12 cabs is pretty much nonsense, haha.

my rehersal room was like 15x15 and I could hardly turn it up past 4 without gettitng feedback. I had to stand across the room (next to the other guitarists amp) just to play.

Looks like the problem was with the space not with the volume!
Page 1 of 2