my band just got offered to play at a college, a 2 hour show, once a week for 3 weeks. we would probably play the same songs at each show because our pool of songs isn't very large. we need to fill at least an hour and 45 minutes of the time, so my question is how many songs should we have.

we have 5 originals averaging about 5 min. a piece. we'll have our sixth song done soon, in time for the gig, and thats roughly 4 min. we know a few covers, but aren't sure how many more to learn just to be safe. what do you think would be a reasonable number so songs for us to know before playing the shows?
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
I think you should know at least 30 songs total.

That way you won't get stuck onstage with nothing to play.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
2 hours is a long time for a first gig. Write a song that just blasts away at the audience to start with and get some good ballads in there. Make sure you have more than enough to satisfy, as you never know if they will want you to stay up there
Well, first of all, you should fill all the time right?

You have about 30 minutes of originals, so you still have to learn at the very least one more hour and 15 min.

I'd say to learn enough music to fill that time slice plus 3/4 songs as a backup in case your drummer starts to go too fast.

But that's a obvious advice
Guitars:
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Amps:
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Effects:
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Synthetizer:
Roland EXR-5
i think 30 songs is a little ridiculous for 2 hours. we'd need to fill at least an hour and forty five of that time. i think if we played all of our originals that'd take up around 40 minutes, between the playing and time between songs. like i said we know 2 or 3 covers, and between myself and our drummer, we know about 5 more. i guess we'll just have to time ourselves at practice to see where we're at.

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
um, what kind of music does your band play?
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
rock, kinda like tool.

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
you could jam for awhile if you guys are relatively good at that
Quote by headfest88
i think 30 songs is a little ridiculous for 2 hours. we'd need to fill at least an hour and forty five of that time. i think if we played all of our originals that'd take up around 40 minutes, between the playing and time between songs. like i said we know 2 or 3 covers, and between myself and our drummer, we know about 5 more. i guess we'll just have to time ourselves at practice to see where we're at.

ok...

I was saying that as a band you should know at least that many, especially since this is a multi gig deal. The same people may come back to your other shows, and they don't want to hear the exact same set list again.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
true, but it starts in 3 weeks, not nearly enough time to get 30 songs together. im sure we wont play exactly the same songs each time, but relatively similar. besides, we'll get paid either way so im not too worried about that.

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
a few years ago the band i was in got a similar deal and our material wasnt enough to cover the time the club was paying for, so we did mostly cover songs, but not the usual type (for a metal band). We did covers like christina aguilera (e.g. genie in a bottle like thrice did), some dvorak (instrumentals used as segways into the next song), dave mathews, beck, etc. like pop music but played like metal. maybe an idea? most of these popular songs now are easy and recognizable, just have to do it right.
good luck.
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
yea 6 originals and 7 covers are not enough for two hours, bud. i'd definately do some jamming during the gig, like do a Moby Dick cover but fill in more with guitar and base solos instead of a huge drum solo. and you'll have to like talk to the audience between songs, and get long drinks of water, etc.