I am learning Midnight by Joe Satriani, and I am getting the main part down ok but my notes are really quiet, I have to turn my amp up kinda loud to get good volume from my tapping, is this what I am supposed to do, or should I be tapping alot harder than I am? I find when I tap harder I get unwanted string noise from other strings I am not fretting...any advice would be great....thanks!
'00 Les Paul
hmm, make sure with your tap finger you're getting really good, clean pull-offs, i used to have that problem but i worked on that and it helped alot
As always, practice makes perfect - the more you play it the better it will get. You need quite a bit more finger strength to make your tapped stuff sound good than when you're picking, and that won't come without some effort; as for the noise problem, ideally you should be muting all or at least the strings adjacent to the one you're playing - either with your left or right hands, or both.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
if i need to mute the other strings would I do that with my palm or the fongers i'm not using?
'00 Les Paul
i am practice at clean sound on dry. (not amp, only guitar) the fingers must be so strong that the guitar plays alone without amp.

but heed, the tone is different - the strings sounds full (as harmonics)
Ibanez RG170R (bridge pickup V8)
Laney VH100R amp
Laney GS412P box
============================
I am sorry, my english is not good.
You can always edit your posts .
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
try using your bridge pups with you tone knob full
My gear:
Ibanez jem555, rg320, rg170dx
Ashton gt100 amp
boss me50
I am using the bridge pickups and that really helps, how high of a volume is normal on an amp for tapping stuff like midnight? Is it higher than normal or is it usually the same?
'00 Les Paul
Quote by metal.free
i am practice at clean sound on dry. (not amp, only guitar) the fingers must be so strong that the guitar plays alone without amp.

but heed, the tone is different - the strings sounds full (as harmonics)

O rly?

Well, I think he means to practice without an amp, like Satch himself usually does.
But I can be wrong, I have no idea what the hell it was he all said in that post.
You just need to build those muscles. Tapping ( Properly ) requires alot of work. I'm no expert on it ( I play the blues. ) But I have done a little tapping just for giggles. Go to YouTube and look up Joe, I think he's actually got a demonstration.
does it usually help develp the the right force on the tapping hand to practice without an amp? That sound like a good idea I will give it a try...thanks guys for all the help I really appreciate it!
'00 Les Paul
You should be doing tapping stuff on the same volume as you play normally picked things. And, imo playing without the amp is silly since it will never sound the same, obviously.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!