Im thinking of buying this ripper bass and want to know if anyone has had any experience with it. Thanks, BTW i know its not in the best condition but im geting a good deal on it. The serial # is 99153355 so if anyone wants to tell he how old it is that would be nice

Quote by Ferdinandstrat
My problem is the lube,it's not easing the pain,it just makes it less gripy

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Wait a minute! Do they send the boxes in boxes!?

EASY MONEY!!!!
Last edited by UltimateNirvana at Feb 28, 2007,
I don't know much about those basses, but if they're supposed to be of shoddy quality, and they're really ugly, why would anyone want them?
Quote by Charlatan_001
I don't know much about those basses, but if they're supposed to be of shoddy quality, and they're really ugly, why would anyone want them?

theyre not ugly! they look beautiful!......ugly.........
Quote by Ferdinandstrat

Quote by BringMeTheCalm

EASY MONEY!!!!
Quote by Charlatan_001

Brilliant sound. And they're not really ugly IMO, although of the 3 I'd rather have a Grabber. And they're not always shoddy quality, you can find some solid ones out there.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
These basses are amazing. I want a grabber so bad.....
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
My old bass teacher had a Grabber. I lusted after that bass so bad; I ended up not taking lessons over a summer so I could work full-time, and in that period he sold it for $250. I died inside when he told me.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

I use a newer Epiphone Ripper. I got it just 'cos of how great the bass looks. No regrets with that, I adore it; never had experience with a Gibson Ripper, though. I'd buy that if I were you, just go for it.

(Oh, and it's from between 73 and 76. Is the body maple or alder? (alder bodies were only used in 75 and 76. So if it's maple, it's a 73 or 74, and if it's alder, a 75 or 76.)
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
Quote by canadianpunk071
My old bass teacher had a Grabber. I lusted after that bass so bad; I ended up not taking lessons over a summer so I could work full-time, and in that period he sold it for $250. I died inside when he told me.

Wow that really sucks. $250?!?!?! So cheap!
Dont buy if u like to slap.
All the gibson/epiphone bass i've tried have been horrible for slapping.
Good for rock/metal with a pick or fingers.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by canadianpunk071

Was your teacher retarded?
Usually, the Grabber sells for the cheapest, then the G3, then the Ripper. But $250 for a fulyl playable Grabber is ridiculous.
When crying don't help
I'll say. He "upgraded" to a Peavey Milestone III with the cash he got from it. Mind you it suited his needs better than the Grabber, but I wanted it, damnit!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by Woogles

The G-3 is possibly one of the best sounding basses for slap I've ever heard.
to answer the question. 1975 i belive, 99 followed by 6 digits is a 75 stamp
Quote by R_H_C_P
It's a known fact that 100% of people that sell their Telecasters, die.

I LOLed
Can't help you with the questions, but Jesus Christ that's ugly.

Sorry to say it, but that's what I think
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by canadianpunk071
I'll say. He "upgraded" to a Peavey Milestone III with the cash he got from it. Mind you it suited his needs better than the Grabber, but I wanted it, damnit!

Is he like, 13 years old?
I bet its a nice sounding bass but definetly not my cup of tea to look at.
signature
I've treied an old Gibson Grabber in a shop once. It was quite cool. Nice thumpy fingerstyle tone. Interesting design feature of the movable pickup.
The difficulty is in popping on either of them. There's very little space between the strings and the body, so you find yourself hitting the pickguard a lot more than on other basses, though I suppose you just have to get used to it.
When crying don't help
Quote by Woogles

I would hav to agree with u.Ive tried a couple gibsons and i hav a epiphone EB0 lol and they suck for slapping and popping.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by Charlatan_001
Is he like, 13 years old?

No, he's a college music professor. In his case it was actually a smart move, he's a very tiny guy with suitably small hands, and he injured his left hand somehow, so he needed something with a thin neck, as well as something he could throw in the back of his car, ding, etc. without caring. So he got the Peavey, and good on him I say.

As for slapping, the Grabber sounds beautiful for slapping, and I imagine the G3 does too what with 3 single coils. And to the guy above me, the Grabber et al are nothing like any Gibson you've tried soundwise, your opinion is void.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Ugh... I really dont like that shape or color... But, if you want it, I say got for it.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
From what I understand, the Grapper/Ripper line was to replace the EB0 as Gibson's cheapest bass. They were designed in mind for value to compete with (Leo) Fender('s companies) which pretty much had a stranglehold on the bass market at the time. That being said, it looks solid and all, but this is no top of the line bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Didnt you just buy a Gibson RD bass too? I say go for it, it's one of the only gibson basses i like
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Ok, the look is quite retro and for my tastes, not in a good way.

But, with that being said, those basses are tanks and are solid. The the tone is good if you are playing rock, and they hold up well to general abuse.
Quote by indie-bassist
Didnt you just buy a Gibson RD bass too? I say go for it, it's one of the only gibson basses i like

I definitely think that the Grabber is a step down from the RD. But then again, my '51 P is probably a step down from my 5-string J.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I definitely think that the Grabber is a step down from the RD. But then again, my '51 P is probably a step down from my 5-string J.

I definitely prefer the RD, that is my favourite gibson bass.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist

yeah i kinda collect (but still use actively) old basses, ive alwayed loved the look and feel of a classic bass...... BTW i bought it......the ripper i mean, its great. now i have my eyes set on an Ibanez Black Eagle, mmmmmmmmmm......... so be ready to to see another thread soon
Quote by Ferdinandstrat

Quote by BringMeTheCalm

EASY MONEY!!!!
Last edited by UltimateNirvana at Mar 1, 2007,
Quote by elemenohpee
The G-3 is possibly one of the best sounding basses for slap I've ever heard.

Try better basses? lol

Might sound good but doesn't play good for slapping.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by canadianpunk071
No, he's a college music professor. In his case it was actually a smart move, he's a very tiny guy with suitably small hands, and he injured his left hand somehow, so he needed something with a thin neck, as well as something he could throw in the back of his car, ding, etc. without caring. So he got the Peavey, and good on him I say.

As for slapping, the Grabber sounds beautiful for slapping, and I imagine the G3 does too what with 3 single coils. And to the guy above me, the Grabber et al are nothing like any Gibson you've tried soundwise, your opinion is void.

Ah fair enough. The Peaveys aren't bad, but I was just confused as to why someone would sell a pseudo-collector's instrument for a Milestone.