hey tech whizzes. need a little help here if anyone can lend some advise. gotta marshall 4/12 cab with one input on the back. i'd like to split the speakers into two signals so that i can run two lines from my head to get the whole (or close to) 150 watts. it's a solid state head so i need the power. if i put another input in the back of my cab, is there any more to it than running two speakers to one jack and two speakers to another jack. i know the marshall 1960 cab has dual inputs but they're also run through internal switches. i shouldn't need to do that right? on the back of my head is two speaker outputs. one 8 ohm and one 8/4 ohm. i was hoping just to treat it like two 2/12 cabs.

thanks in advance for any advise
You'd have to open it up and re wire it. Just like you said 2 2x12's in one cab. and add a 1/4in jack. The ohm selection jack wont work any more though. You're going to ask someone else about specific wiring though.
yeah opening it up was the first decision i had to make. i haven't done it yet. and i'm not going to till i get this figured up. i know it will effect my ohms. what to do...WHAT TO DO!!
Open the back up and have a look at the speakers. When you open it you may want to take the jacks off so you dont pull the wires off.
yeah i've got the structural part under control. i just wanna know what i'm doing electrically so i don't fry the head.
What amp do you have? If it's only a mono amp, there's no point wiring it for stereo or as two separate cabs. Have a look at the speakers and see if you can find an impedance rating on them (either 4, 8 or 16 ohms). Then it will be easier to work out a course of action.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I looked on the net and it said that the AVT150 head had a 4 ohm speaker out.
Did you find out what ohmage/wattage your speakers are?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
If you've got a standard Marshall 4x12 you can wire it for 4 ohms and be done with it. THat'll work fine with your squalid state thing and you just need to remember to set a real Marshall head for 4 Ohms when you get one.

All you need to do is wire the four speakers in parallel all the pluses go together and go to the tip of the jack and all the (-) go together to the ring of the jack.
Quote by Ronsonic
If you've got a standard Marshall 4x12 you can wire it for 4 ohms and be done with it. THat'll work fine with your squalid state thing and you just need to remember to set a real Marshall head for 4 Ohms when you get one.

All you need to do is wire the four speakers in parallel all the pluses go together and go to the tip of the jack and all the (-) go together to the ring of the jack.

That's if his speakers are 16 ohms (and judging by your post, I'd say you're pretty sure they are).
Don't be so condescending in the future, we're here to help a guy, not impose our tube-amp elitism on him.
ok guys thanks for the advise. not too worried about the shot at my head. it is a "squire" version for lack of a better term. i haven't taken the back off yet to see what ohms the speakers are. so, to confirm, as long as the speakers are 16 ohms then i can run them parrell in pairs, put an extra jack in the back and start jamming right?

and yes, the head has two speaker out jacks. one is 8 ohm and the other is 8/4 ohm. when i put the two jacks in the back of the cab then i'll run a speaker cord from each head output to the two jacks in the cab right?