Hey there, I have a question after doing some research online about these guitars. I've been listening to John Mayer Trio's live TRY! album a lot and I really like the sound his guitar produces, and I'm pretty sure he used a Gibson ES-335. After a simple search I realized that they are extremely pricey, and are also arch-top semi hollow guitars.

Apparently these guitars are more fitting for a jazz/bluesy type of player, but I was wondering if they would sound alright if used for harder rock music.

I also want to know if anyone knows of a cheaper semi-hollow guitar that still sounds pretty good for the price. I've been looking at the Epiphone brand because they have exactly that, a cheaper copy of Gibson guitars. I just don't know if they sound decent enough to buy.

I'm willing to spend about $600 on the guitar alone, and I'm also wondering how much a decent amp costs?
epiphones are basicly gibsons but with a differant logo on the headsock
John Mayer uses Two-Rock amps which are....pricey (to say the least), but a Fender Blues Deluxe has worked fine for me in the past.
Quote by shift3448
epiphones are basicly gibsons but with a differant logo on the headsock

Many people were saying just this on the Epiphone.com forums. They were complaining about the unnecessary prices of Gibson guitars and claiming that much of the time you can find an Epiphone that plays almost as well.
^ one thing i can say is make sure it's in stock, cuz there's only one official rep for all of NA, and it takes a LONG time to order in

other then that they kickass (i have a DV8-R Dave mustaine signature)
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Although I am wondering why there's only one F hole, and if that makes a difference?
the rythym guitarist of ac dc used a full-out hollow body guitar.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by grayfox1001
the rythym guitarist of ac dc used a full-out hollow body guitar.

Damn, never knew that!