Hello all,

Sorry to have to post another amp question but I need some advice from the people that know. Soon I'll be purchasing my second amp and here's my dilemma. I mostly play metal stuff and recently I been studying Dimebag's and Mark Morton's style. I live in a townhouse and at times need to play through my headphones (damn neighbors!). So I'm looking for an amp with RMS from 50 to 100 but still has the availability to plug in headphones. My budget is $500. Randall makes the RG75G3 which, I believe, has a headphone jack and is, so I'm told, one of the better hybrid SS amps out there (I don't believe the 100G3 has a headphone jack). So basically, I'm looking for an amp, SS or Tube, that has a headphone jack and also has enough RMS to play over drums because I won't be in the townhouse forever and I'd like this amp to suit me for years after I move out. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great and yes I'm looking for an amp that produces that solid gain crunch with good/decent cleans.

My guitars/amp...
ESP LTD with ESP 81/60
Schecter Damien-6 with 81/60
Fender Frontman 25R
Get a tube amp if you plan on using it for an extended period of time.
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
So are there any tube amps out there that have headphone jacks? I know the Randall RG50TC doesn't.
i bet there are...

just because one doesn't it doesnt man they all dont...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
i bet there are...

just because one doesn't it doesnt man they all dont...

I think that there might be a couple that have built in dummy loads but they are probably way out of his price range. I think that an attenuator might work though.

And to JJLeo77, I was in the same situation and I ended buying a used tube amp for regular use and a multi-fx processor for headphone practice- just another option to consider.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Feb 28, 2007,
the zvex nano 1/2 watt tube head is a viable option, or one of the now numerous 5 watt combos.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I really don't know the point of having headphones on a tube amp...Isn't thet point of a tube amp to be played loud and open? If you want low volumes, get either an attenuator or just a cheap solid state amp that does have a headphone input jack.

Just my two cents.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
hey, i normally use a Randall RH200SCG2 and had a similar problem due to space & money (and noise etc) i did a bit of reasearch between a few combo's -

Randall, Laney, Peavey, Hartke etc... i ended up getting a Crate Powerblock & bought a 2 x 12 Basson speaker cabinet... is really versatile & is loud enough to compete with my 5 piece
Thanks for the info ya'll. Jinskee I understand your comment but I don't think you understood my point. Let me try again. I have the money now to invest in a quality amp. I would love to buy a tube amp but I DO need to have the option to use headphones under my current situation (townhouse) but when I move into a house I can still use the same high quality amp to jam. It's an investment made to suit my needs currently and also in the years to come. I might not have the money to buy a nice amp when I'm making a mortgage payment. I have the money now. Get it?

To the others: Any model numbers I should be looking at out there?
Maybe there are some good SS amps out there that are of good quality in the $500-$600 range? and still have a headphone jack?
Personally i'd buy a tube amp and a cheap multi FX (Zoom G2?) for practicing with, then you don't have to comprimise on your overall tone, you have a decent sound to practice with and you have some extra FX for your amp if you want them.
dont get a tube amp if you have to run head phones you need a cabinet hooked up or you will blow your amp. I have a tube amp but I also have a V-amp pro and it is great for headphone practice.. about $100-$150 on ebay
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
because if you gat a tube-head you need to have speakers attached or else the amp will go

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm not looking for a head/cabinet set up. I'm looking for a SS/Tube combo amp which is a step up from my Frontman 25R but still has a headphone jack. Ideally, I'd like to find a tube combo in the $500-$600 50W-100W range which I can plug in my headphones (townhouse) or a SS that sounds really good for Pantera/Lamb of God/Metallica. The only SS I've come across that peak my intrest is the Randall RG75G3.
The thing is with tube amps they have to have a load on them at all times, i.e. the speaker must be plugged in and I don't know of many (if any) tube amps with headphone jacks which cut the speaker off. I still recon the idea in my first post would suit you best.
drjimuk,
Thanks for the advise. Do you buy chance have any experience with any solid state amps that might fit my needs?
One answer to your question could be getting a Tube power amp and a digital preamp.
You can get some really good sounds out of the V-amp with a good power amp.
And you can hook up headphones to the v-amp and play without the power amp.

My V-amp is sitting on my dresser with headphones right now and I can sit at the computer and play guitar.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab