I recently spent several hours at guitar center playing a Gibson Firebird, I love the tone but it's just too big. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on some good guitars that are not as huge. I've played my fair share of strats over the last 8 years and I love the feel of them. The problem is lately I've been playing heavier stuff (UnderOath, Saosin, Alexisonfire, etc...) but I can't get the crunch I need out of the strat, regardeless of how many pedals I run it through =)

Is there a happy middle somewhere, maybe a tele with humbuckers, or a strat that will growl? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
suck it up, an play the big ass firebird... that thing is cooler than a strat or tele any day! =)
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
there not that big, there barely a few inches larger than a strat.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I can't exactly remember if I have the right facts or not (don't quote me), but I remeber reading that Rudolf Shcenker (sp?), a.k.a the guitarist of the scorpions, thought that the explorer and firebird models were too big and he had Gibson make a whole bunch of them that were only 90% of the original size, making it basically the same size as a strat without the corners. A little bit of history for you guys. Btw, see if you can find one.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Could always get a fat strat (a strat with humbuckers basically)
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
A les paul is a nice compromise. Despite the weight, it's body design isn't too radical and it has amazing humbuckers and tone.
get the new fender telecaster john 5 HHH
its a tele with 3 'buckers, a strat style headstock and trem
check mf
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
EXPLORER, FTW111.

lol, j/k. Get a 72 thinline custom Tele.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by libskate44
get the new fender telecaster john 5 HHH
its a tele with 3 'buckers, a strat style headstock and trem
check mf

That's pretty sick... sounds like I have a trip to guitar center in the near future.

Thanks.
Quote by woodenbandman
EXPLORER, FTW111.

lol, j/k. Get a 72 thinline custom Tele.

Why the **** would you play a semihollow guitar on that kind of music?? Read the original post first!! And from my personal experience (I own a Gibson Firebird) they aren't that much bigger than a strat. They just weigh a ton in their case (the bird and the case together are 37 lbs!) If you love a guitar, why not buy it?? That's my 2 cents
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by ShortyNC
I recently spent several hours at guitar center playing a Gibson Firebird, I love the tone but it's just too big. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on some good guitars that are not as huge. I've played my fair share of strats over the last 8 years and I love the feel of them. The problem is lately I've been playing heavier stuff (UnderOath, Saosin, Alexisonfire, etc...) but I can't get the crunch I need out of the strat, regardeless of how many pedals I run it through =)

Is there a happy middle somewhere, maybe a tele with humbuckers, or a strat that will growl? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dude, get the Firebird.

More specifically, get it from me.

You'll save several hundred dollars.

And about the complaint that they're too big, anyone that's ever tried mine always says "Holy shit it's huge!", but you really get used to it after a week or so. The thing that attracted me to the firebird was that I feel really cramped on a Paul or strat, the firebird feels like you have all the room in the world to play, and the fret access is amazing.

*link in sig?*
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
For me, the necks on Gibson SG's and Epiphone Sheratons feel a little like a Firebird. You can't go wrong with an SG.
Quote by onemanarmy9
Why the **** would you play a semihollow guitar on that kind of music?? Read the original post first!! And from my personal experience (I own a Gibson Firebird) they aren't that much bigger than a strat. They just weigh a ton in their case (the bird and the case together are 37 lbs!) If you love a guitar, why not buy it?? That's my 2 cents

Since when has the Explorer or Tele been a semihollowbody?
fender makes a couple semi hollow teles, but mostly the solid body ones

and i think you're the first person to say explorer in this thread
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by Jongpil Yun
Since when has the Explorer or Tele been a semihollowbody?

Someone mentioned a thinline tele, which is semi hollow
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
You want an Ibanez SZ series, Schecter C1 series, or LTD M or MH guitar. All are Mahogany body neck thru or set neck to give you LP drive but comfy strat body.
Thinline Teles are nice if you can get used to the vintage frets. Personally, I like lower frets with 10s on a guitar. Its a nice combo for me.
You may be looking for something like this: http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/ValleyArts/

Its some custom company, they dont say how much it costs or how reliable they are but they make a guitar thats a telecaster that sounds like a gibson.(Gibson had made something with them or something, its on gibsons website and watch the video on the site, you can hear the guitar.)

And if that doesnt please you, you may be able to just put mini hjumbuckers in your strat or buy a hss one or there is even one with dual humbuckers, which looks pretty nice, and its only $400.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay