Hey guys, I've been trying to make my guitar sound better, and I was wondering if you could give me some advice on just what settings will make my tone sound great. Right now I'm playing my jackson rhoads (seymour duncans) through a 120 watt spider 3 solid state amp. Gain: 10, Bass: 10, Mid:4, High: 9. It sounds great already, but I want something that will just cause people to go "wow" when they hear it. Something deep, killswitch engage-ish. How would I change the three knobs to do that? More mid? Less bass?
Thoughts guys?
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer
Less bass, the mids are good where they're at, less gain. More treble, reverb around 4, or less.

Try this:

Treble - 10
Gain - 7/8
Mids - 4/5
Reverb - 3/4
Bass - 6/7

I can get a good metalcore tone with similar settings on both my Spider II, and 6505. Using an Epi LP also

EDIT: Make sure your amp volume is at a reasonable level. Spider don't usually shine unless the volume is about 5 or so.
Last edited by The Casualty at Feb 28, 2007,
roll off your gain just a tad. if you push it all the way to 10 on the spiders it really drains your tone even more than that digital life sucker already does. then adjust tone knobs to taste... add a lil salt an pepper and saute for 15 minutes. itd also help if we knew which model you were using on the Spider btw
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
I don't think anyone ever needs their gain at 10, so I'd roll that back a bit. If you're after the classic scoop you need high treble and bass and low mids. That's probably what you're after.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by The Casualty
Less bass, the mids are good where they're at, less gain. More treble, reverb around 4, or less.

Try this:

Treble - 10
Gain - 7/8
Mids - 4/5
Reverb - 3/4
Bass - 6/7

I can get a good metalcore tone with similar settings on both my Spider II, and 6505. Using an Epi LP also

EDIT: Make sure your amp volume is at a reasonable level. Spider don't usually shine unless the volume is about 5 or so.

Do you mean less than 5 or more than it? I've been playing it around 6-7. Also, thanks for the help guys (except for you jimmy).
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer