Guitar Center isn't really the kind of store you can barter at in my experience. You'll probably have as much success bartering prices at guitar center as you would at Best Buy or some other large chain store. I'm pretty sure the standard strat is only 400-450, if you know someone who works there you might be able to use the employee's discount, which I believe is something like 10% off.
You can barter certain things at Guitar Center.

They won't really barter on new guitars unless they are crappy ones like Squires and what not.

If you find a USED guitar however....That is a different ballpark. You can easily get a Standard Fender Strat for $350
Probably have more luck if you're buying a lot of stuff at once instead of just one thing.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
1993 US Peavey Predator with Texas Specials
Crate Palomino V16
Boss OD-3
dude...if you know someone that works at guitar center, they can hook you up so nicely. for example, my friend got a mexican strat, new, for $290 from our friend. i got an american tele for like $760 or $780 something. another guy i know bought a gibson explorer for $900 out the door. the point here is, there is a considerable amount of markup on musical instruments...they will flex if you have cash. even if they say no, it couldnt hurt to try.

good luck!
I've never bartered in America, but common strategies of bartering would be if you bought a bunch of stuff, as suggested above, or reminded the store that you shop there a lot and are a frequent customer.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Maybe you could start off with: "Yeah, I've been coming here a lot lately and wondering if..." ?
I was gonna start with "Here's my guitar you told me you'd give me around 175 for, I have 200 dollars in my wallet, I want that 400 dollar strat, what can you do?." When I bought my amp they took it down because me and my brother were both buying one at the same time, and I think it was supposed to be like 340 or something like that and he gave them to us for 300, so maybe I can work something out. But about the friend thing, there's no guitar center around here, it's about a mile away, so I don't know anyone in the area.
Well if you say you have 200$ and its $400 bucks then its gonna be strange when you pull out $340
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
go to a competing music store and get a price quote. then go back to guitar center and tell them that the music store down the road offered the guitar for $390. guitar center will want to beat it, and give you a lower price.
At the GC by me where i bought my stuff it was all about the "package Deal".

He asked me if I wanted to do a package deal and i was like sure. He asked me what was my range and I said $850 - $875, he said I'm sure i can work prices into that.
I bought a Schecter S-1 Elite, a Vox AD15VT, a really nice hard shell case, strings, picks and a strap. I got it all for $850 which is about 9-10% off thier prices.
Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
Quote by copet
Well if you say you have 200$ and its $400 bucks then its gonna be strange when you pull out $340

Oh, I mean I'll have $200, plus what I get for my trade in.