uhh....

wouldnt this scale technically have 6 sharps and one double sharp?

im so confused.....
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
yea it would.. but in theory that does not exist. So instead of a G#, you use an Ab, cuz its an inharmonic equivalent G# = Ab and Ab only has 4 flats Bb, Eb, Ab, Db
Quote by suddenspasm
yea it would.. but in theory that does not exist. So instead of a G#, you use an Ab, cuz its an inharmonic equivalent G# = Ab and Ab only has 4 flats Bb, Eb, Ab, Db

This coming from the guy who can't spell enharmonic

He's right though, Ab Major = G# Major.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yes, G# Major would be the same key signature as a G scale (1 sharp, G A B C D E F# G), just adding a sharp to everything. (G# A# B# C# D# E# Fx G#)
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

yeah, i know its the enharmonic, but the theory book i had asked me to spell out a G#13 chord....so its not something i can be like, meh, screw the book, im goin Ab!
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad
yeah, i know its the enharmonic, but the theory book i had asked me to spell out a G#13 chord....so its not something i can be like, meh, screw the book, im goin Ab!
Oh, the chord exists, but the key signature does not.
howso.....now im uber-confused....
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by EZLN libertad
howso.....now im uber-confused....
Welp, the G#13 chord could come from Ionian or Lydian, so if you think of the G#13 chord as coming from G Lydian, all is good.
BGC, how can the key signature not exist? like..what if you had to play a song in the key of G#, and it was written that way?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by 6DgOfInTb
BGC, how can the key signature not exist? like..what if you had to play a song in the key of G#, and it was written that way?
It wouldn't be written that way. Key signatures do not contain double sharps.
G#13 has a b7 comes from mixolydian innit

C# and Cb are the "limits" on key signatures (7) past that they just don't.

That makes for three enharmonic sigs, leaving you a total of 15 keys to choose from.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It wouldn't be written that way. Key signatures do not contain double sharps.

Well you know what i'm gonna write it that way
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Well you know what i'm gonna write it that way
I'm going to be very honest with you: I couldn't care less if you listen to me or not. I can only teach you what is correct.

You can look foolish and uninformed to musicians in the know, that's perfectly fine with me. You should know this you will be viewed this way.