damn, what a difference in dist./overdrive texture when i bring up my mid knob. i also have a 5-band eq on my amp, but the middle slider doesn't have the same effect. just makes the tone "mid-rangey". and not in a good way.
yeah, mine does the same thing- i have active EQ on the distortion channel on my amp. i love it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Turn all the knobs to 0. No sound or a faint should come out.

Edit: EQ knobs I mean
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by sethp
how do i know if my amp's got active eq? its a mesa 50 cal. +

it's an active EQ on the 50 cal. The treble is the most powerful, and basically determines how you set the bass and mids.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the highs a filterd first, then that singal gets sent to mids, then to lows, and so forth, so the more higs you have the less lows and mids you have..

like this dude

all controlls at 5 oclock right. speaking in terms of numbers as values for everything...

Controll value / output value

Bass 5 5

Mid 5 5

High 5 5

now...

Controll value / Output value

BAss 5 4

Mid 5 4

High 7 7

the more highs the less lows mids ect.. so goes for mids, the more mids the less lows..
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
^Active Eqs tend to be on clean amps. So yeah, you can pretty much guess what kind of metal tone that can get you?
it's not necessarily a bad thing, the signal is passing thru the gain and treble first, so all the tone controls after it are affected by where they are set. It's a tweakers design, but it takes a while to get used to. That's one of the reasons you hear people complain about the learning curve with Mesa EQ's. Not sure on the powerball, but there are other amps that have the active EQ.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
it's not necessarily a bad thing, the signal is passing thru the gain and treble first, so all the tone controls after it are affected by where they are set. It's a tweakers design, but it takes a while to get used to. That's one of the reasons you hear people complain about the learning curve with Mesa EQ's. Not sure on the powerball, but there are other amps that have the active EQ.

My ENGL doesn't seem to have an active EQ. The knobs are all independent of eachother.

I never had a problem EQing a mesa, either. you just have to spend a little time fiddling with each knob before you play and once you're good to go you don't have to touch it again.

This "Learning curve" makes it seem like its acceptable for a person to be unable to get a decent tone out of their amps, haha.