I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to PA systems and stuff like that so I'd just like to get a few things straight...

If my band got a microphone (not anything special, just an average mic) would the best way to set it up for use in practice and/or small gigs be to run it through a powered mixer to the speaker(s)? About how much would all of that cost for a very basic setup? Are there other ways of doing it?

I'm just getting myself really confused here so I'd really appreciate some tips on it and it would also be great if you could recommend some mixers/speakers/mics for me (try to keep it pretty inexpensive ) Thanks a lot guys.
what is a PA?
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I'm not too hot on PAs myself but, concerning the mics, from general consensus I've learnt that if you're planning to record and gig, you shouldn't go for mics with a lower quality than sm57 or sm58 mics.
Quote by toaster_poodle
I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to PA systems and stuff like that so I'd just like to get a few things straight...

If my band got a microphone (not anything special, just an average mic) would the best way to set it up for use in practice and/or small gigs be to run it through a powered mixer to the speaker(s)? About how much would all of that cost for a very basic setup? Are there other ways of doing it?

I'm just getting myself really confused here so I'd really appreciate some tips on it and it would also be great if you could recommend some mixers/speakers/mics for me (try to keep it pretty inexpensive ) Thanks a lot guys.

You're gonna need more than one microphone to PA everything

If thats what you're saying...

You'll need one for each vocalist
One for each guitar if you're doing the amps through the PA
At least...4 for the Drums...

You most likely won't need to PA the Drums though, or the guitars depending on what wattage you have
yeah, I think our guitar amps are loud enough for where we'd play so we wouldn't need to mic them or the drums probably (for now at least). We're really just looking to set something up to be able to sing through, at practice we've just been plugging some cheap karaoke type mics into my old guitar amp...
Quote by toaster_poodle
yeah, I think our guitar amps are loud enough for where we'd play so we wouldn't need to mic them or the drums probably (for now at least). We're really just looking to set something up to be able to sing through, at practice we've just been plugging some cheap karaoke type mics into my old guitar amp...

Ye definately be needing better than that

For mics I would go with what the guy above said and get a Shure SM58

I can't really recommend a PA system...got to your local sound stores and ask the people who work there about them and look up prices and stuff