What the different pickup selectors sound like, i like more so rock/metal.

Also, what do the two tone nobs do?

i'm on a fat strat btw.
The pick-up selector changes pick-ups if you don't already know.

The tone knobs obviously change, and shape the actual tone of the guitar.
Wait...what?

Pick up selectors don't sound like anything...it just changed from one pick up to another to another, etc. It really depends on what pick ups you have...

The two tone knobs basically...turn up and down the tone in laments terms...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I know that's what they do, but in what ways... like should I set them to my preference or to songs when i play them?

The pickups, i meant, what pickup would be the best to use with the music i play, or is that my preference also?

i'm a noob to electric.
on a fat strat, in order to get the best tone for heavy stuff, you should use the bridge or bridge and middle Pups... usually the Pups closer to the bridge have a more edgy sound, and the Pups closer to the neck have a more mellow sound
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by xsnow
I know that's what they do, but in what ways... like should I set them to my preference or to songs when i play them?

The pickups, i meant, what pickup would be the best to use with the music i play, or is that my preference also?

i'm a noob to electric.

Yes, it's all preference.
alright.... now to my next question.

what are some good songs to start learning? I like tool - lateralus alot, can play through it.

That's about my skill level, right above not so great.
I want somethin challenging, yet doable for me.
ya, the pup closer to the bridge is crunchier and good for chunky rhythms and stuff, or really bright leads, and the one closer to the neck is smoother and 'creamier,' used a lot in jazz and stuff. shredders (people who play really really fast) also use neck pickups alot, cause it just sounds better and, well, smoother. in my opinion at least.
Ahh, one more thing I should ask.

the nhumbucking pickup has a plastic covering on it, leave it there?
Quote by andrew_reid
it would probably best to remove it...

I think he's talking about the pickup cover....

I say keep it on, gives you a different tone, but not too different--it's just mostly looks.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I took it off, i didn't know for sure. One side acted like it pealed off, the other acted like it wanted to tear off. With it removed it removed alot of white noise.