my dad's ordering me the new Tascam 2488 mkII (digital 24 track recorder) this weekend.

it has the editing tools already on it, but for easier editing, can it be edited on the computer using some software?

it says it has a USB 2.0 plug for "file backup" but i'm not sure if that means the file can be edited on the computer.

... so can it be edited on the PC?

thanks, i'm psyched to start recording
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I will suggest to you the Tascam Forum. There you will find all the answers to kickstart you months in advance to the use of your 2488. The Tascam Forums does charge a one time fee of $4 US dollars, but it is well worth it. Also if I were you, I would download the free audio editor Audacity. It is a free download, easy to learn, and will do everything you probably would want. You you export your wave files (tracks) to the pc and edit them with Audacity, then export from Audacity ( out of your pc) , then import back to your Tascam 2488.
ah thanks, that's great news haaha. i'm sure i don't have to only use audacity though, right? not saying there's anything wrong with audacity but i fear limitations.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

No, you can use any editor/mastering program you like. Audacity is just the easiest and it is good for free. I have other programs, but I use Audacity most of the time because it's a snap. My time is streched thina as I have a day gig, DJ/KJ a few nights a week and try to play Guitar, bass and keys and learn midi equipment. I will probably jump to the Har-Bal program next year along with Cubase wich I am slowly learning.
You usb connection will allow you to transfer files to and from your DAW like it was an external hard drive...so once they are on your computer, you can edit them with software.

However, if you want to place them in a project in your sequencer, you will have to audition all the files and then nudge any punch ins into the right spot in the song - this can be very frustrating and extremely time consuming (I have worked on a number of projects where this was neccessary for one reason or another).

You can get around this if you can generate time code or such like, and if you have the technical nouse to get that working...but there are many pitfalls involved with this and a learning curve to go with it.
Top 5:
1) Only The Cool Climb - Tj1
2) My Favorite Dress - ~King_Of_Foolz~
3) She Once Was My Playmate - Tj1
4) Lovers Lullaby - KOF
5) Cold Dark Room - Ditda
Quote by Chromemoly
No, you can use any editor/mastering program you like. Audacity is just the easiest and it is good for free. I have other programs, but I use Audacity most of the time because it's a snap. My time is streched thina as I have a day gig, DJ/KJ a few nights a week and try to play Guitar, bass and keys and learn midi equipment. I will probably jump to the Har-Bal program next year along with Cubase wich I am slowly learning.

oh wow, sounds busy. good luck with all of that

Quote by ElectricMonk
You usb connection will allow you to transfer files to and from your DAW like it was an external hard drive...so once they are on your computer, you can edit them with software.

that's all i need to hear
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.