Okay...i have a friend asking me what kind of amp and bass to buy cuz i myself know how to play bass. Bad thing is i can play it but don't know much about it (unlike guitar where i know quite a bit) and don't know what to recommend to her. She'll be spending maybe 500 bucks (american) max. What do you recommend? She wants to have that sound that Kirst Novoselic has in Nirvana's In Utero...i know he uses Gibson basses usually...but that's all i know. Really...what should i tell her to get?

Edit: she wants a 5 string prefereably.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
For 500 USD.. she won't be able to get a 5-string, let alone a Gibson, AND an amp.

You could always tell her to get a starter pack like the Ibanez, Peavey or Washburn ones. They're all good value, and about the same quality bang for your buck, but the Washburn pack's amp has the most wattage.
Shouldn't start out with a 5-string.
She'll have no idea what the **** to do with it and wont use it.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Ummm she's nuts if she wants to start with a five string....im a guy and my hands are barely big enough for a four string. I would get a fender mim used on ebay...and any amp I guess.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Quote by SG6578
Ummm she's nuts if she wants to start with a five string....im a guy and my hands are barely big enough for a four string. I would get a fender mim used on ebay...and any amp I guess.

A good amp is a better investment than a good bass. What if you bought a Warrior Dran Michael bass, and had only enough money to get a 15W Behringer or something? It wouldn't sound too great...
thanks...i guess. i was thinking about this, what do you guys think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Deluxe5-Bass?sku=513048

It's a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 Bass. The amp doesn't matter much at this point since she'll only be using it for practice, but something small that sounds good (and is not expensive) might help.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
No don't get that, get an Ibanez GSR205 and then you have about 300 to spend on a good amp
You NEED a good amp for Bass! If you wana play with a band get ATLEAST (bare minimum) 80Ws, recommended atleast 150Ws! (And no, you can NEVER have enough wattge with Bass! Your wattage should be atleast twice as what the guitars have!)

Trust me, you also want a 4 string! I got a 5 string a while ago, I never use the B string. IT is basic and it will let your get your own sound! If you feel you need more low end get a 5 string LATER! When you learn a bit about Bass FIRST!
Quote by evening_crow
thanks...i guess. i was thinking about this, what do you guys think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Deluxe5-Bass?sku=513048

It's a Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 Bass. The amp doesn't matter much at this point since she'll only be using it for practice, but something small that sounds good (and is not expensive) might help.

Why did you just ignore all the given advice?

If the amp "doesn't matter," then how the hell will your friend be able to tell if her bass even friggin WORKS