Hello to everyone,

One of my neighbours gave me a nylon classical.
It was in very poor condition. So i gave it a bit of a wash & oil
fixed the bent & broken tuners, re-strung it & a new bridge.
just to see what it sounds like , to my utter amazement,
it sounds fantastic. crystal high end & quite a deep warm bass.

My problem is it has no label inside (it did at some stage)
It does however have a signature on one of the braces.
I thought it may have been a previous owner. This however
proved to be a little unbelievable, as I tried to get my hand
inside (with strings off). I could get my hand in o.k.
but being able to sign the brace would , in my opinion
be impossable. So the only other idea was that it
was there when the brace was put in.
I.E. by the manufacturer.

So does any one recognise the signature in the pic below?

Oh yeah it has JAPAN imprinted into the top, rear of the headstock.
& i think it is at least 20 years old.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 28, 2007,
My guess; Susker Motriska.

Doesn't ring any bells to me though.
Ishiga
It is a bit hard to make out eh?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I could be mistaken but I believe the last name is matsuoka. I am having a tougher time making out the first name. If I am correct then the signature makes some sense. And the Japan stamp also fits. Matsuoka does mfg guitars in Japan. Google will produce a few hits. Better to leave out the 1st name though since we cant be certain. At any rate you may have a fairly expensive guitar on your hands or it may be somewhere around $300.00 depending on it's age and model and such. Not a lot to go on but definately worth further investigation. Good luck...
shineonu thanks (personally I thought it is something like Matsuka) i have the advantage of being able to phyically looking into the guitar for referance. As some of the grain in the wood (in the pic) mingles with the name somewhat. I'll borrow my wife's camera (higer resolution than mine) & see if i can post a better pic.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
shinonu I found this text (below) on a site i will include the link. There was no pictures but i have emailed the guy who runs the site. So i'll see what happens. I just would like to confirm the signature on mine.

Aria, circa 70's, signed by maker-S.Matsuoka, $300, Back & Sides are maple and the top is spruce, a warm sound considering the back and sides are maple, really good projection, and a comfortable neck.

So am I reading that add (above) correctly ? It says that the guitar is an 'Aria' made in Japan & signed by the maker, S. Matsuoka.

Here is the site link.

http://www.thinmanmusic.com/classical_nylon_string_guitars.htm

the guitar is 2/3 of the way down the page in the, SOLD, section.

here are some pics of the 'Beast' it looks like crap but plays like a dream.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I like it. It looks tough, experienced...rugged...gives you style and attitude I think.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
I like it too, as long as it plays good, who cares what it looks like really.
Thanks guys Im with you on that > It really does have a distinctive sound. When playing 'E' 'D' strings you can feel that lovely 'rumbling' vibration that permiates your whole body, MAN i love that. Like standing in front of a decent stack & pulling some heavy chords on electric. excuse the electric 'similly' LOL.

OH here is a pic of the headstock, very in keeping with the overall look of the guitar.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Looks nice. I have a '70s Yamaha G-65 and it has lots of scratches and dents and I love it. It has "character" unlike new shiny guitars.
i have a Ryoji Matsuoka M70 not sure if it's the same company as urs maybe and off shoot or something but it's a dam nice guitar
jako91 what age is your M70 ?
mine is S. Matasuka. maybe some family connection. (father, son maybe) I did google him & came up with a few hits. Think he used to make guitars for Aria (amongst others). Mine doesnt have a label inside (probably because it has been stolen at some stage) mind you there is a light spot inside where the label was . I cant find a serial no. anywhere. I havent put my webcam inside to have a good look though. It isnt anywhere that you can see from the soundhole.

Oh Also i couldnt stand that it sounds so gr8 & looks so crap, so at the moment it is half sanded back. I've mixed some 'shilac' & am going to french polish it

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Mar 20, 2007,
the best i could find was about 30 years old.

hope the guitar turns out good anything would be an improvement from before
Well Jacko91 I thought it was cool looking B4. But i found i was putting in at least 1hr a day just on this guitar. In a 2 > 3hr practice session, so i figured. Bite the bullett & give it a spruce up. Im also just finished a banjo rebuild, which i finished but assembled it (to see if it works) before painting. So have diss-assembled it & will 'french polish' them both together. Economy of scale & all that.

I'll post here as i go if you like.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!