I love rush especialy Hemispheres and permanent waves. But just because they have long songs and Geddy Lee plays a little synthesizers does that make them proggressive?
I consider it prog but I have heard multiple people just say its another classic rock band.
they frequently use batshit crazy time signatures. There's a passage of Tom Sawyer thats in like 15/17. Very prog
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
its hard to explain... but there is just something about bands like RUSH and YES that set them apart from the others... in a very vague explanation yes they are both heard on classic rock radio stations... but if you were to ask their fans and listeners, or some of their peers (other bands) they'd most likely say o ya, they're definitely prog... hard to explain... but their sound just kinda does the talking...
Some of their tunes from that period are not. They were influenced by three piece blues rock stuff like Cream, so some of their stuff is in that vein. Other than that though, yeah. The majority is prog.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Quote by civildp1
they frequently use batshit crazy time signatures. There's a passage of Tom Sawyer thats in like 15/17. Very prog

15/17 huh? Find me some music written in 15/17, would love to see it.

Tom sawyer is 13/16, and 15/16 in a couple spots.
You obviously don't know Rush, Neal Peart is an avid user of seventeenth notes.

If you think a song like 2112 or Cygnus X-1 isn't prog that I would like to know what the hell is. People who call rush "classic rock" are usually dumbasses who have only heard one or two of their more "radio friendly" songs. Its the same thing with Pink Floyd. PINK FLOYD IS NOT CLASSIC ROCK.
Quote by swampthing1117
15/17 huh? Find me some music written in 15/17, would love to see it.

Tom sawyer is 13/16, and 15/16 in a couple spots.

ok so I was 1 16th note off. it's still a batshit crazy signature to play in.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
No, you cited a note division that doesn't exist. 15/17 would be 15 beats per bar, seventeenth notes getting the beat, seventeenth notes don't exist.
Hey I know they are prog, I just wanted to rub into some faces!
Whoever said Yes is classic should slit their own throats! Yes never made a radio friendly song that wasnt prog (except owner of a lonely hear, but that song dosent exist!)
Quote by schizoid man77
I love rush especialy Hemispheres and permanent waves. But just because they have long songs and Geddy Lee plays a little synthesizers does that make them proggressive?
I consider it prog but I have heard multiple people just say its another classic rock band.

Well, that's because they were, originally, in that CR time frame area (if we're talking about within this forum atleast). People may have told you to do it in the CR area. They are Progressive though. They really changed into that Prog. area, IMO, on the A Farewell to Kings album. Their sound switched drastically.

BTW, there is a Rush thread in the CR forum area. I dunno if the rules for the individual forums apply in general (no threads outside of an ONLY thread). Just a heads up.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by civildp1

how do you do 17th notes? is that theoretically possible?
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong