Alright well I narrowed it down to a fender SSS stratocaster. Now these are my two options i see:

-buy mexican and upgrade pickups and put locking tuners
-get an american

If I go with the mexican im probably saving about 300 dollars. Which would be the better choice of the two?
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
with a pickup change a Mexican strat can be on par or better than an American one. But thats with the right pickups... Personally, I'd find the strat that played best, American or Mexican, and buy that, then do whatever you want to it
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Personally, I'd find the strat that played best, American or Mexican, and buy that, then do whatever you want to it

I mean like i dont plan on upgrading an american because that defeats the purpose of getting an american.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Play them and see what guitar you like better; feel. Then upgrade its tone.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
American - with all the little parts to buy, extra headaches you problems that could come up: more frequent set-ups, small adjustments, sensitivity to weather - the standard might save you money in the end. But again, the mexican is a decent guitar in general.

Personally(and I'm not a big fender fan) I've never heard of anyone complaining about their American strat. Tho I sold it, I loved my Fender SuperStrat when I had it. Biggest reason for selling it was that it didn't fit my "image" - no wonder vanity is a sin. lol
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
i'd say its up to you

MIA strats hold their value
but i also think that theyre way overpriced for what you get

MIM dont really have a collectors value
but theyre reasonable priced

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Gosh, just imagine if the MIA Strat was just as much as a Gibson Les Paul Standard!!!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
mhm...i guess there still would be some crazy people who'd buy it

dont get me wrong here...the MIA strat is a great instrument (my dad owns a 72 strat)
but they're jsut too expensive for "only" 3 single coils, 3 pots and a "bunch of wood"

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

You're bettter getting off with a MIJ strat then.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
MIJ strat? where can i get one?
i'd buy one on the spot

though i dont have the money...id still buy it...

and maybe a jaguar with it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

hmm whats actually swaying me to get an american strat is that like its value always increases. Its like an investment I hear. And that while playing your like thinking to your self "oh ya , i got an american strat "
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
maybe you should look into used older MIA strats
they were better back then

EDIT: nevermind...forgot what i said myself...theyre prolly gonna be more than new ones...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

An MIA Strat is not an investment. Not money wise anyway, it could be an investment into your hobby or career as a musician. A new MIA is not going to go up over its initial price for decades, if ever. Ofcourse low numbered special editions might go up, but not for a few years.
Last edited by vanzant38 at Mar 1, 2007,
I'd get the USA for the Nitro finish and better parts.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Definatly the MIA strat-it'll last you a lifetime. Look at Clapton with Blackie. MIA strats are great guitars. The only thing you might wanna d is change the pickups to whatever suits your syle. Thats it though.
MIA I think they come with locking tuners right? (I know some fenders do) and the pickups on them are good, if not save up a lil' and get one pickup at a time or something.
Quote by iplayguitar88
you deserve to get your arse kicked for trying out fr 2 hours

Ummmm why?

I've said it once (Ok I've said it more than once), and I'll say it again:

GET A CARVIN BOLT

The base price for one with a trem is only $670!!!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Mar 1, 2007,
Buy the made in America one without a doubt.

It would be a hassle to change everything out on a MIM.

And plus...when you say "I have an upgraded Mexican Strat"...it holds nothing to saying "I have an American Strat."

I'm serious about that...the only people that will tell you to buy a MIM are the one's that own a MIM because they couldn't afford a MIA.
American Strats have much more value and have much more credibilty in guitar circles.
The first question anyone asks when you tell them you play a Strat is "is it an American?"

An American Strat will last you as long you live...See: Clapton's Blackie...SRV's #1
my ass kicked ? Well I didnt try out like 50 guitars...

I tried out an epiphone dot(neck a bit chunky for me but the real problem is feedback at high volumes)
strat(strats fit well in my hands)
tele(loved the tone but not comfortable to play)
some 2500 les paul for a like 5 minutes(just laughed at how high the price was for the piece of crap in my hands)

And I tried out a fender deville and a vox ad15vt (which is currently have)
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
There are greate MIM guitars just like there are great MIA guitars. It does not have to do with price and reputation as someone earlier said. If you will be holding onto the guitar for long time, get whichever one you like best.

As for me, I like to change guitars a lot, and a MIA guitar just has brand loyalty that other guitars do not. If you buy a used MIA in good shape, 3 years for now you might be able to sell it for around the price you paid for it (if you take care of your stuff). You will most likely loose more money by getting a MIM and upgrading it, because they don't sell as well. I tend to think of buying a guitar as a lease, until I find the one that I am going to keep forever.
Right now I have a Mexican Standard SSS (Agave Blue w/ maple fretboard and white/soon to be mint green pickguard) that I upgraded with US Fender tuners and GFS Premium Alnico II pickups, which are by far my favorite Strat pickups. I've had so many in there (Fralins, Fender Noiseless, other GFS) and nothing have stood up to these in terms of tone and picking up on all the little nuances of my playing. I love the neck of the MIM strats, but mine has vintage frets and most out there have medium-jumbo which still kick ass. Going by all retail prices ($399 for the guitar, ~$60 for the tuners, and $70 for the pickups), I should have paid $529 for this thing. I bought everything but the pickups used and paid a total of $360 including shipping for it all and it looks and feels brand new. I can't find any flaws on this thing.