Yeah, i dont know exactly why, but my bass (Ibanez, part of a starter kit) is picking up some radio waves that are being transmitted to the amp and being played. my quick fix is to turn the bass/treble knob to full bass and then it'll go away. but i've really been wanting to play around with my settings and this is really getting in the way. anyone else have this problem and have a solution?

also my string action is messed up, strings keep hitting the fretboard whenever i'm playing the E and A strings around the 3rd fret and up and making this horrible humming/buzzing noise. i tried to play around with the bridge and it helped but it wasn't perfect. any help with this one too?
hmm, well i have never experienced this with my bass, but my guitarist has a Dean ML which has a seymour duncan invader pic up in the back and that picks up radio waves alot, he fixed it but i dont know how, this pretty much happens because you pickup has so much output that its really strong and picks up the radio lol. soz i can;t be of further help.

as for your action, the first thign you should do when you buy a bass (and your forgiven for being a newbie dw we all were once) is go to a shop and get it set up properly NEVER trust it form the factory. if its not cos of your bridge it might be cos of your nut, but i've only ever heard of that once when a friends nut came unstuck and was moving around.

anywho good luck with that.
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
Whell here is the thing, in your pickup there is a coil of wire. Now this coil usually vibrates with your strings (magnetically) creating current. But evey so often you get a coil that is of the exact perfect impendance that it picks up a singal. Now usually this is preceived as a slight "hum" from pickups, but in this case it picks up a radio wave!

The best thing you can do is either get a new pickup, move somewhere else, or mes with the coil itself...... (Not recommended, concidering there is about 4000 turns of hair thin copper wire in there)

ANd for your action, simply loosen your truss rod a bit. NOT THAT MUCH! When it comes to truss rods, a little dab will do ya! If you turn it too much, your neck will weaken conciderably!
If your bridge is earthed, this will be the cause of it. I always remove earth wires from bridges because I don't see the need and it reduces hum and noise.
Quote by smb
If your bridge is earthed, this will be the cause of it. I always remove earth wires from bridges because I don't see the need and it reduces hum and noise.

Because it keeps you from getting electricuted? Um, wow. Thought that was an obvious one. You can get seriously hurt if your bass isn't grounded.
make sure the electronics are properly grounded and shielded
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Is there any other way to ground a bass apart from through the bridge?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I've heard about this before, and I remember someone saying the solution was something to do with earthing something. Or I may have just been thinking of two seperate topics. But try moving elsewhere, and see if that helps.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Wow thats weird... I think I have the same bass and mine doesnt to that at all. So I guess just move.

As for the action, well Im a n00b at it and dont know much about it. But once again, mine didnt have that problem...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by elemenohpee
Because it keeps you from getting electricuted? Um, wow. Thought that was an obvious one. You can get seriously hurt if your bass isn't grounded.

No actually. If your bridge is ungrounded then no voltage can get to your fingers at all. Infact thre was a gutiarist that died because his brige WAS grounded. His amp shorted, and 800W of pure energy went right into his hands while he was playing.

It was a ****ing metal way to die, and I hope that I eventually die the same way when I am 50 or something, but if his bridge was ungrounded he woudl have survived, no voltage could have passed into the bridge because it would be electrically isolated.
Quote by elemenohpee

Only if you seriously charge up the strings before playing. Funnily enough, me playing a bass doesn't cause dangerous amounts of charge to build up on the strings. However the inherrant capacitance and resistance of the wires between the bridge and the actual earth of the power supply your amp is plugged in to can lead to your strings acting as basically a big polar aerial picking up any amplitude modulated signal depending on the Q value of any tone components in the signal path. For example it is possible to use a wah pedal to tune what radio station you recieve under these circumstances. For me, I want the best sound I can get rather than run scared from any perceived risk of shock that requires quite exceptional circumstances.
i always pick up my bass in the morning and play a bit, i imagine what would happen if it wasn't grounded...
(btw i don't sleep with shoes, and if you do... good for you!)
AbsentMind
Last edited by 0-n3gativ3 at Mar 2, 2007,
DO NOT LOOSEN YOUR TRUSS ROD. I mean, it works, but if you're new to bass (and Im guessing you are guessing you refer to it as your "newbie bass") than you best have someone else do it atleast the first time. If you break the truss rod (or the neck with the truss rod), you're SOL. Don't risk it... atleast, not yet.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
DO NOT LOOSEN YOUR TRUSS ROD. I mean, it works, but if you're new to bass (and Im guessing you are guessing you refer to it as your "newbie bass") than you best have someone else do it atleast the first time. If you break the truss rod (or the neck with the truss rod), you're SOL. Don't risk it... atleast, not yet.

Agreed. This is something you don't want to tackle. One suggestion which worked for me was to find a shop that will let you watch while they do it for you. And frankly, I watched 2x before I felt confident enough to tackle this by myself. Its one of those things, as has been mentioned elsewhere, that a little goes a long way. The tendency when you first do this, is to over adjust, which will lead to a broken or severely damaged neck or truss rod, as UtBDan has stated.
alright. thanks for all the ideas people. but, being a newbie, i understand the basic parts of the guitar and their functions. the wierd thing about this bass though is that it doesnt seem to have any way to access the truss rod. there's a really old acoustic in the house and it has these two holes at the head of the guitar going into the neck. not the same with my bass. There is, however, a small plastic(or polished) plate screwed on just over where it would be, though. Idiotproofing by the manufacturer?

So it seems there isnt really anything i can do about the radio thing, short of getting a new pickup, as it doesnt matter where i am...it still picks the radio up and plays through the amp.

Alright. Gonna go to the shop where i bought and ask em to take a look.
Quote by NJMaidenfan666
Yeah, i dont know exactly why, but my bass (Ibanez, part of a starter kit) is picking up some radio waves that are being transmitted to the amp and being played. my quick fix is to turn the bass/treble knob to full bass and then it'll go away. but i've really been wanting to play around with my settings and this is really getting in the way. anyone else have this problem and have a solution?

also my string action is messed up, strings keep hitting the fretboard whenever i'm playing the E and A strings around the 3rd fret and up and making this horrible humming/buzzing noise. i tried to play around with the bridge and it helped but it wasn't perfect. any help with this one too?

Well first of all... Starter kits are not good at all
Hmm.. Try to sell it I dunno and save cash for a good bass and a good amp

And the buzzing sound on the E and A strings is probably the amp or maybe you should
make the strings vibrate sideways so they dont strike the bridges..

Umm get it ?
Quote by RaiLeff
Well first of all... Starter kits are not good at all
Hmm.. Try to sell it I dunno and save cash for a good bass and a good amp

And the buzzing sound on the E and A strings is probably the amp or maybe you should
make the strings vibrate sideways so they dont strike the bridges..

Umm get it ?

Well, if he sells it, he won't have a bass anymore.

And it sounds to me like he just has a lot of fret buzz, and the buzzing is making the hum in the amp (either that, or the humming is a side effect of the radio signal thingy).
Its more of a rattling against the fretboard even though i usually make a clean pluck of the string. And yeah, i know that starterkits arent worth crap...but i wanted something nice and easy to learn on.