Poll: Who deserves more credit for a good movie?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who deserves more credit for a good movie?
The Writer(s)
6 32%
The Director(s)
0 0%
Both equally
13 68%
Voters: 19.
I don't know how many of you are hard-core movie fanatics like me, but for those of you who are, here's a question for you:

Who is more responsible for a movie's being great, the writer or the director?

I don't think you can argue that writers are given too much credit. When was the last time you saw a movie advertised as "from the writer of" something? Yet you always see "from the director of" adverts.

But do the writers deserve more, less, or the same credit as directors for the film's quality?

I leave it to you.
Can't stop the signal.
depends on the movie...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I think its both, the writer creates the basic idea that tells a story and the director simply brings it life

when you read a script, you only read like 50 percent of the actual movie or play, the director makes the other 50 percent apparant
the actors

like me
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Being a screenwriter (if you consider writing screenplays that have yet to be read by human eyes being a screenwriter), it's kind of disheartening sometimes.

When you think of a Spielberg movie, you think of Spielberg and not the person who wrote it. When someone turns their screenplay over to a director, it becomes the director's movie, which is kind fo a shame. But in recent years I think the screenwriters are getting more and more attention, given the rise of really creative films.
Poor advice.
RESPONSE TO THREAD TITLE!!!!! :

....is something americans cant do.....

RESPONSE TO QUESTION!!!!!!!:

well a good writer can write something good, but a director can **** anything up. look at all the movies based on video games or comics.

a good director can make a dumb story great, look at children of men. "infertility is rampant! but one lady has a baby!"
sounds dumb like that, and i hate to do that to it. but mah nigga Alfonso Cuarón made it what it is. an amazing movie.

so yeah its both, but it think the director has a harder job of bringing the writers vision to life.
Last edited by FeatherBreeze at Mar 1, 2007,
or the director could have thought up the idea, the writer wrote it and added the dialouge and whatever other literary shit to make it work, and then the director brought it in the imagery...

or the writer thought of everything, had the whole entire idea and the directer finishes it off evidently adding his or her own style...

so like i said it really depends...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by stellar_legs
Being a screenwriter (if you consider writing screenplays that have yet to be read by human eyes being a screenwriter), it's kind of disheartening sometimes.

When you think of a Spielberg movie, you think of Spielberg and not the person who wrote it. When someone turns their screenplay over to a director, it becomes the director's movie, which is kind fo a shame. But in recent years I think the screenwriters are getting more and more attention, given the rise of really creative films.

ever thought of being a director yourself
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
ever thought of being a director yourself

of course, I'd love to do both. But they're both very farfetched careers.
Poor advice.
I'd say the writers. If a director makes some bad artistic decisions, I usually find it forgivable. But a movie with poor dialogue and an obvious lack of a plotline just cannot be salvaged by clever directing, IMO.
Quote by stellar_legs
of course, I'd love to do both. But they're both very farfetched careers.

true
<//////>~
Quote by FeatherBreeze

well a good writer can write something good, but a director can **** anything up. look at all the movies based on video games or comics.

a good director can make a dumb story great, look at children of men. "infertility is rampant! but one lady has a baby!"
sounds dumb like that, and i hate to do that to it. but mah nigga Alfonso Cuarón made it what it is.

If you want to word it that way, any story can be made to sound stupid. Look at something classic like "The Godfather:"

"Okay, so there's the kid who's in the Army, and he doesn't want to work for his dad. But hen he ends up doing it anyway."

But there's more to the story than that. I think "Children of Men" is a more complex story than you have it credited as.

And as for the director messing things up, I think your argument isn't that great. Take a comic book movie like "Daredevil" or "Ghost Rider," both written by the same man. Those movies were bad because the writing was bad. It wasn't a lack of direction that made that movie bad, it was lack of coherent, compelling story and characterisation.

The way I see it, writers are more important. A bad director can make a good script into a good movie. A good director can make a good script into a great movie. But a good director cannot make a bad script into a good movie.

Steven Speilberg could not have made "Daredevil" good without changing the script. But Mark Steven Johnson, who directed "Daredevil" could make "American Beauty" or a similarly good script into a good movie.

I'm not disparaging directors; they are important, but I believe all good movies started from a good script.
Can't stop the signal.
Last edited by search49 at Mar 1, 2007,
Quote by search49
I don't know how many of you are hard-core movie fanatics like me, but for those of you who are, here's a question for you:

Who is more responsible for a movie's being great, the writer or the director?

I don't think you can argue that writers are given too much credit. When was the last time you saw a movie advertised as "from the writer of" something? Yet you always see "from the director of" adverts.

But do the writers deserve more, less, or the same credit as directors for the film's quality?

I leave it to you.

I have recently studied film a little, and i couldn't agree more. In a film, all the director seems to do is organize things like securing sets and actors, and tell people what to do while boosting their own ego. The credit should go with the writer because it's his film and his story, and it is extremely unfair that the director gets all the credit; i mean anyone can be a director- you dont have to be smart or talented or anything! The director who taught the course i did was a talentless moron, and a jerk!!! Compare it to the music industry. The director is like the producer of an album, whereas the writers are more comparable to the musicians who write the music. The producer just oversees the whole thing (ie. director). I'm not saying directors aren't important, i just think the writer is cut a rough deal in this industry.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning