i just bought a pair of Dimarzios, super distortion at the bridge and PAF pro at the neck and right now, im missing my stock Epiphone pickups. is this normal?!?!? ha. maybe i just need to adjust my amp settings and get used to them??
i would get a Gibson BurstBucker.
lol but iono man
i didn't like my first pickups that i bought
so i bought fender noiseless and i love it.
so im guessing it takes time to get ur "ideal" pickup sets...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
maybe the pups you bought dont fit your style
or you just dont like em
or you need to get used to the new ones

and i wouldnt say it isn't "normal" to prefer ur stock pups

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
maybe the pups you bought dont fit your style
or you just dont like em
or you need to get used to the new ones

and i wouldnt say it isn't "normal" to prefer ur stock pups

well, the thing is, people say epiphone pickups REALLY suck.
i have an epiphone lp classic quilt top

and still have the stock pups in it
and though theyre not "top of the line" and the bridge pup is alittle bit on the dark side
i like em
i can get a really nice sound out of them

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

When I first got my Burstbuckers I thought there was something wrong because I liked the stock pups. About two days later I realized there was something wrong with me and that they sounded amazing! Just play the hell out of it and mess with your settings.
Quote by Ryank285
well, the thing is, people say epiphone pickups REALLY suck.

i dunno, my G-310 came with fairly decent pickups

i replaced the bridge with an EMG 81 just because, but the neck one really packs a crunch
sound is subjective dude.... as long as you like it, keep it like that.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
I like my stock. Make a good sound. I like it at least. off my Gibson Les Paul Studio
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
^don't the studios come with burstbuckers?
if so...i'd like my sound too
haha

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I had a jackson professional and had the stock pups replaced with Evolutions and either the work on the install sucked or they just aren't as good as the stock pups. I've been thinking about reinstalling the stock pups and getting rid of the EVOs
My first guitar was a 150 dollar guitar. I have some nice shit, but I still come back to it. I don't know if I just got a really good guitar or what, I've never changed anything on it and I don't plan to. This 30 dollar humbucker sounds like ****in' Jesus.
i dont think they did...i could be wrong. i think i shall check

EDIT: ya, i got 490R and 498T alnico magnet humbucker pickups in it. What do you guys think of those?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Last edited by CanadaHckyDude at Mar 1, 2007,
you should
cuz if they do...like i said...i'd love my tone too

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Ryank285
i just bought a pair of Dimarzios, super distortion at the bridge and PAF pro at the neck and right now, im missing my stock Epiphone pickups. is this normal?!?!? ha. maybe i just need to adjust my amp settings and get used to them??

Also, did you try adjusting the pickup height. That can make a big difference in tone, whether it be too far away or too close to the strings.
what happens if its too close

too far away?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

i think if theyre too close the tone gets muddy
and if theyre too far away they get quiet

but dont quote me on that

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I personally think the super D is terrible and th PAF Pro is one of the worse PAF clones out on the market.

I also don't like Dimarzio in general (with few exceptions) but the bias is pretty set aside in this case.

If the pickup is too close it gets too muddy.

If the pickup is too far away it loses attack and punch.

Personally I couldn't find a tone I liked with my les paul + super distortion into my ENGL. I adjusted it up and down left and right and even switched the cap on the tone pot and I still hated it.

Its just a muddy, fuzzy mess of a pickup imo.

Did you wasnt rid of the stocks because you pinpointed something that was lacking in your sound that couldn't be rectified otherwise, and did you choose the replacements because they would give you the sound you were looking for when installed in your guitar and played through your amp?

Or did you just think "Im guna get sum Darimzios, they are teh pwnage!!!!"?

I always advise people to look at every other aspect of their rig before they even consider changing pickups. You have to know EXACTLY what you want with pickups, they aren't exactly the most adjustable pieces of kit on the planet, you get far more leeway buying stompboxes etc.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my stock pickups were fine, i was looking for a maybe a beefier tone, thats about it. ive always heard how much better aftermarket pickups are so i didnt want to just stick with the stocks just because i adjusted to the tone i like without knowing how much better i can make it if i tried aftermarket pickups.
Depends on what else you have in your rig, but an EQ pedal is often a great help. However, pickupwise the Super Distortion isn't the best choice - not many people use it in Les Pauls, Ace Frehley is the only person that comes to mind and that's only because when he started using them they were pretty much the only aftermarket pickup around. It does have quite a fizzy tone - you can hear it on the Kiss Alive albums, particularly Alive 2. Again the Paf Pro is a great pickup, but it was pretty much THE pickup of choice for 80's shredders, in fact it was pretty much the only pickup that was designed with that playing style in mind.

To beef up a Les Paul's sound without losing the Les Paul characteristics a Duncan Custom 5/59 pair gives a good contrast between power in the bridge and a sweeter sound at the neck, while a pair of Pearly Gates is a good choice for a slightly hotter, "ruder" vintage-type tone. A pair of Dimarzio Breeds would work too, especially if you feel your Les Paul is a bit on the thin side soundwise...they have a bit more of a contemprary sound compared to the Duncans, but nothing like an Evo or Tone Zone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i might end up buying the gibson brand pickups... if only they looked as nice as the dimarzios. not a big fan of the silver cover.
I wouldn't bother to be honest, Gibson pickups are good but they're way overpriced. I wouldn't dream of replacing them if they came on a guitar but they aren't worth the money as an upgrade. Duncan's and Dimarzio's represent better value, along with all the other brands out there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

thats the only thing that sucks about pickups... u cant try em out first before buying. its hit or miss. hopefully dimarzios will give me a refund but most likely they will force me to exchange for a different model.
If they only offer a swap then your best bet is probably a pair of breeds or a norton bridge/breed neck...if you tell them what you're looking they should be able to advise you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

the pickups are starting to sound better when i really roll off on the bass and mids on my amp... guess i gotta keep messing with it.
actually... i think its faulty installation. i notice that when i switch pickups and then back, it doesnt quite sound right until i wiggle it a little bit and then it sounds right. i need to take it back and have the POS guitar tech fix it... paid him 70 bucks dangit.
Could be a dodgy solder joint then, or the switch might be knackered...Epiphone use crap ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, I've tried a few dimarzio's, only really found one to my liking. Right now I'm runnin a PAF Pro in the neck, and the stock 500T bridge pickup in my Gibson explorer. I once tried a X2N in the neck, way too much treble and mid for my liking. I also gave a BREED neck a try in the bridge (don't ask, I thought it would balance out better with the PAF), and the tone was a little better, but there wasn't enough output for my taste. I finally ended up yanking it out and putting the stock 500T back in. While the low end can get a bit muddy on some amps, I'm definently glad I did that.

Although I recently picked up a Jackson that came stock with Duncans (JB and Jazz I believe, not the Duncan Desinged ones). I happen to love the sound and wouldn't bother changing them. Maybe I'm more of a Duncan guy I guess.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff