Page 1 of 2
well i guess most of you have seen the movie
"This is spinal tap"

and there's this part where nigel shows his marshall and says

"see, it goes to 11"

i heard that marshall actually made amps like that...
would that be true?

or is it just some rumor

(if they didnt make one...they should )

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009

No production models that I know of. They did the ones for the movie, and I've heard vague rumors they've made others, but I don't know.
that was a great movie
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
I just did some research and fender used to make an amp that went to 12, and I don't know if marshal ever made an amp that went to 11 but they did make one that went to 20. These are some fun facts.
Quote by jaxtheaxe
but if they made one up to 12 it would be even louder...

well, why not just make 11 louder?
haha

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by ZootCst

No production models that I know of. They did the ones for the movie, and I've heard vague rumors they've made others, but I don't know.

Is that a real ****in t-shirt, if so link me. I'd buy 365 of those mother****ers so I could wear them every ****in' day. Haha.
One dude was selling a plate on ebay....
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
They actually sell panels that you can probably find on eBay that go to 11.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
a plate?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Panels, plates, what's the difference!?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
oh ok...
for some reason i thought you meant a plate
like for food

dont ask me why though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

the shirt is a paul frank shirt, you can get those shirts at any store like nordstroms, urban outfitters, etc. (it's a paul frank, so they go for like... ~$30 last time I checked)
http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/tees-polos/paul-frank-volume-knob-tee-004886.php
(personally, I've seen it in store, and I think the shirt is a very ugly grey)

if you like that shirt, you might like these:
http://store.soliscompany.com/pafrmepafrsh7.html - Just a bunch of AV-tech stuff
or my personal favorite (it's a bit wrinkled, cause I left it in the dryer)

Back to going to eleven - the amps with the knobs that go to 11 were the same amp (was it jtm 45?) as any other marshall jtm 45, they just used a special front plate. You can buy one and then replace the front plate on your marshall amp
Last edited by greenbox at Mar 1, 2007,
A Fender Hot Rod (I think that's what it was I played) goes to 12... It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was -12 to the left and +12 to the right, meaning db cut/boost on the EQ (I assume).
just so you guys know... the numbers don't really mean squat. You're only supposed to use them as a position guide like... (to get the clapton sound, I had the knobs on 4-11-9-3).

For example, me and my friend both have fender Blues Jr., and he said something like, for the woman tone, i turn down the tone on my guitar, turn bass to around 6, mid to around 4, treble to 3, reverb to 1 or 2, and volume to etc etc.
what i meant is the joke the movie had in there

that the amp is louder because it goes to 11...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by greenbox
just so you guys know... the numbers don't really mean squat. You're only supposed to use them as a position guide like... (to get the clapton sound, I had the knobs on 4-11-9-3).

For example, me and my friend both have fender Blues Jr., and he said something like, for the woman tone, i turn down the tone on my guitar, turn bass to around 6, mid to around 4, treble to 3, reverb to 1 or 2, and volume to etc etc.

*wooooosh*
Quote by greenbox

......but this one goes to 11!

EDIT: here's the after market one you can buy
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPINAL-TAP-PLEXI-MARSHALL-FACEPLATE-MASTER-MV-REPRO_W0QQitemZ300069372784QQihZ020QQcategoryZ38075QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by treagar at Mar 1, 2007,
^Yup, that's the one.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^Well Christopher Guest (Nigel) did an ad for Marshall in which he said:
This one goes to 20, that's like 9 louder.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
well, why not just make 11 louder?
haha

LMAO
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Well, Why not just make 10 louder?
"...."
"But ours goes to eleven."
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Well, Why not just make 10 louder?
"...."
"But ours goes to eleven."

A true classic.
Nigel Tufnel: [pointing to a customized Marshall amplifier head unit] This is a top, to, uh, you know, what we use on stage, but it's very, very special, because, if you can see...
Marty DiBergi: Yeah...

Nigel Tufnel: [pointing to the control dials] ...the numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board: eleven, eleven, eleven, eleven...

Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?

Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.

Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is that any louder?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most... most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up... you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know...

Nigel Tufnel: ...nowhere! Exactly! What we do is if we need that extra... push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: ...Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten be the top... number, and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause, blank look and snapping chewing gum] These go to eleven.

that would be the full conversation as reffered to above
i just wanted to post it really
^that's probably the best part in the whole movie

its just hilarious

haha

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by jaxtheaxe
but if they made one up to 12 it would be even louder...

The last man who tried to turn the amps past 11 died (he was one of the drummers)
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
i thought the movie was kind of overrated... it had its funny parts, but i didnt really think it was what people crack it up to be. i do however loved the "these go to 11's" part of the movie, haha.
Quote by Ryank285
i thought the movie was kind of overrated... it had its funny parts, but i didnt really think it was what people crack it up to be. i do however loved the "these go to 11's" part of the movie, haha.

The airbase scene is also amazing.

"Play something so I can dance"

"Working on a sex farm..."
Did you guys see Nigel jam on the one V.W. commercial where they had the deal that you get a guitar with your vehicle? Slash had one too.

btw you can download most of Spinal Taps singles from the movie on their Myspace. Just search for them, I don't want to get the link
I heard Van Halen actually commissioned Marshall to make that amp after he saw the movie. I think he actually plays with a Marshall that goes to 11.
Quote by Ryank285
i thought the movie was kind of overrated...

I agree man, it was a bit of a s**t sandwich.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by greenbox

You realize we all knew that, right?
seriously
i mean thats the point...
that there is no point at all...there's just a number more on there

haha
its funny though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by greenbox

No shit?
I own a broken practice amp that goes to 12.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Page 1 of 2