I have a Mexican Stratocaster with all single pickups. I bought it a year ago at a music store and I was wondering if I should get a new scratchplate and Seymour Duncan bridge and neck humbuckers or should I just buy a new guitar?
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
hi there... Mexican fenders are actually really good guitars for the price, your issue lies with what you want to accomplish with your guitar, if you really like your strat and just want to get more grunt out of it then upgrading the pickups will add a world of difference to it, but just remember that it will never sound the same as the stock pickups will so if you like a nice clean genuine single coil sound then maybe you could get a H-s-s config or even a H-S-H on your strat.

i have and ibanez rg model and for the price its a gr8 guitar but the pickups are limited to what they can do, it has a humbucker + humbucker (H-H) config and a 5-way switch to get parallel & split coil modes which sound okey but the pickups just didnt have that extra edge that you would like to hear, the cleans where okey for them but the distortion could easily turn to fuzz or sound muddy. so i decided to get a set of Dimarzio pickups and the difference is amazing, they really make the dam thing sound awesome compared to the stock pickups so im really happy with the results. my guitar plays well and now sound really really gr8.

one of the other things to remember is that guitars that come with really good pickups or Brand name pickups will cost alot more than your strat did. so if you in the market for at pro guitar just be prepared to pay the $$$ for one,

so yeah, basically if you really like your mexican strat then go for the pickup upgrade, but if your got your heart set on something else then save and be happy. im so happy with my choice of upgrading my pickups and for a fractions of the cost of my guitar its well worth it.
Quote by alfalfasprout69
hi there... Mexican fenders are actually really good guitars for the price, your issue lies with what you want to accomplish with your guitar, if you really like your strat and just want to get more grunt out of it then upgrading the pickups will add a world of difference to it, but just remember that it will never sound the same as the stock pickups will so if you like a nice clean genuine single coil sound then maybe you could get a H-s-s config or even a H-S-H on your strat.

i have and ibanez rg model and for the price its a gr8 guitar but the pickups are limited to what they can do, it has a humbucker + humbucker (H-H) config and a 5-way switch to get parallel & split coil modes which sound okey but the pickups just didnt have that extra edge that you would like to hear, the cleans where okey for them but the distortion could easily turn to fuzz or sound muddy. so i decided to get a set of Dimarzio pickups and the difference is amazing, they really make the dam thing sound awesome compared to the stock pickups so im really happy with the results. my guitar plays well and now sound really really gr8.

one of the other things to remember is that guitars that come with really good pickups or Brand name pickups will cost alot more than your strat did. so if you in the market for at pro guitar just be prepared to pay the $$$ for one,

so yeah, basically if you really like your mexican strat then go for the pickup upgrade, but if your got your heart set on something else then save and be happy. im so happy with my choice of upgrading my pickups and for a fractions of the cost of my guitar its well worth it.

Awesome thanks alfalfasprout69. I think I might go for the upgrade, but I'm going to need a better amp first.

███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
hey hey... glad to hear your going for the upgrade, but i just thought id mention that upgrading the source of your tone is one of the most important parts in your set up.
weather you use an arsenal of effects pedals or just go strait into your amp, the source of your tone is really what makes a gr8 outcome.

you can play a cheap guitar through an expensive amp and it will probs sound nice or you can play a pro guitar though a practice amp and it could sound nice too, but somtimes playing inexpensive pickups through a nice amp will not make a dramatic improvement, im advice would be to get the pickups first and then decide on what amp to get because the amp you chose now may not sound as good or the way you want it to when you have your new pickups in your guitar. so i guess my advise is, if your going to upgrade your equipment, try to do it in the most noticeable for your tone and whats better for your wallet first, its always better to do it once and do it right (well, at least for what you want to achieve at the moment). but anyways hope this helps..

alf....