Okay, the deal is like any other, my friend and I are going to build a guitar. We got some options, and the best would be mahogny. But, in sweden there is almost no company dealing with mahogny, and the few that exist have extreme prices. So the only deal with magogny would be if we could find a second hand table made of mahogny. This would work, right?
To the question, we got some old spruce that's dried for 6 years or so, but would spruce work in a electric guitars? I have seen acustic guitars with spruce, but never electric.
Oh yeah, the wood is only for the body

thanks a lot!
Yeah sitka spruce, but we will be using swedish spruce. I guess google is my friend. Thanks
im going to go off what i know, which isnt much.

i havnt seen spruce used in solid body guitars, mainly acoustic guitars, and its quite popular. the sound may not be that desirable, but to each his own.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Is sitka spruce Swedish origin?

Spruce is only used as a decorative laminate on the tops of acoustics. It dosent affect the tone in an acoustic, im thinking.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by roast
Is sitka spruce Swedish origin?

I'm pretty sure Sitka Spruce is North American in origin.

Quote by roast

Spruce is only used as a decorative laminate on the tops of acoustics. It dosent affect the tone in an acoustic, im thinking.

That's completely false.
Spruce IS the top, either as a slab, or a few peices of spruce laminated together..
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Oh well, im wrong as usual. Lol.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
U could try to get some pine. Check google for the pinecaster, which apparently sounds awesome.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
they use spruce cores for some of their guitars.

anyways, i'm guessing it's not dense enough to handle the tension or the wear and tear or something.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ Well the tops on acoustics do have to deal with alot of tension. Not to mention bracing for acoustic tops are also made of spruce. That alone makes it seem like like it can handle the tension.

No offense, tubab0y, but busting your chops is kinda fun. It's also led me to find this site.

http://www.kleinelectricguitars.com/Klein/profiles.html

The one on the upper right corner is a solid body spruce guitar. It doesn't seem to be common, but this guitar proves that it will work.

http://www.benedictguitars.com/electric.htm There's also two guitars here made of spruce.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club