I'm having trouble playing along with a metronome as soon as it starts getting fast (or starts packing lots of notes into a beat).

I've been practicing playing slow (40-120 bpm sixteenths) for quite a while now, and my fingers have definitely gotten faster but past around 126 bpm I simply cant keep a consistent sixteenth note all picked scale going. I know I can play faster because if I do a pattern that I know where the beat lies, I can do all picked sixteenths at ~160 bpm to the metronome, but for everything else the weakest element is catching the beat.

Am I not "feeling" the beat? What's the deal... I can keep rhythm perfectly when playing rhythm guitar (even when it's sixteenths and stuff *shrug*) but everything falls apart past 126ish on lead...

I know the obvious answer is "practice more" but is there anything else I can do?
thanks

edit: oh yeah, same goes for when you pack lots of note into a beat, ie 32nds and sixteenth triplets etc. I can only do sixteenth triplets if I sort of "cheat" by playing 3 note per string scales where I know every third string is a new beat. 32nds... meh!
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

it pretty much is more practice. i used to have the same problem; triplets were just much easier for me to 'feel' than sixteenths at higher tempos. but you just need to get your picking hand tighter you instead of throwing a flurry of pick attacks (even if you can nail sixteenth note licks that way), you want to actually control every single turn of the wrist at higher and higher tempos. i hope that made sense, but yeah just practice dude. youre making progress thats for sure!
Thanks..

I'm just going ridiculously slow now and counting out loud...hopefully that'll ingrain it in my nerves.. heh. So tedious running chromatics couning 1 2 3 4 5 6 out loud.

Kinda related, how do you guys keep time for ridiculous arrangements of rhythm like in the first solo of Mr Crowley? Specifically, the A phyrgian run...my tab book (pretty reliable) shows sixteenth triplets mixed in with 32nd notes and bleh... So far I just try to hit the notes that land on beats and play the rest sorta by ear...

Last edited by Xinlitik at Mar 1, 2007,
I count 16ths like this

1 and and a 2 and and a 3 and and a 4 and and a

But yea, keep at it. Getting past the 126 was a bit of a bitch for me too, now Im at ~170ish. Persavere and the rewards are great.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
I count 16ths like this

1 and and a 2 and and a 3 and and a 4 and and a

But yea, keep at it. Getting past the 126 was a bit of a bitch for me too, now Im at ~170ish. Persavere and the rewards are great.

Hmm that rolls a bit better than just saying 1234, I'll give that a try, ty. On a side note, how long did it take you to get from 126 to 170?

Quote by z4twenny
someone said it once before....

speed is a byproduct of accuracy....

This isn't a speed thread...it's a playing along to a fast beat thread, but ty. ;D I can play accurately faster than I can play along with a metronome (like playing along to a song etc).

Quote by Xinlitik
Hmm that rolls a bit better than just saying 1234, I'll give that a try, ty. On a side note, how long did it take you to get from 126 to 170?

I practiced 7 hours a night for 6 months straight and I practiced scales 7 hours monday going triplets 16ths 5:4 16ths 6:4 16ths and then 32nds and again fridays so about 6 months because I was doing other techniques. I have a whole schedule of what to practice when, all metronome marks and target marks to reach.. I plan eveything.

But to get from 126 to 170 took me a little over a year because it took me about 6 months to get from 92 - 120 lol. So 6 months + 6 months = 1 year lol.. Been playing 3 years and of those 3 only over the past year have I been practicing to a schedule and sticking to it.

Find what works for you and continually push your self. Set yourself targets so you know what you need to achieve and find out how you are going to achieve it. My new target is to play 6:4 16ths at 170 by July and 32nds at 112 by August.
Quote by Guitardude19
I practiced 7 hours a night for 6 months straight and I practiced scales 7 hours monday going triplets 16ths 5:4 16ths 6:4 16ths and then 32nds and again fridays so about 6 months because I was doing other techniques. I have a whole schedule of what to practice when, all metronome marks and target marks to reach.. I plan eveything.

But to get from 126 to 170 took me a little over a year because it took me about 6 months to get from 92 - 120 lol. So 6 months + 6 months = 1 year lol.. Been playing 3 years and of those 3 only over the past year have I been practicing to a schedule and sticking to it.

Find what works for you and continually push your self. Set yourself targets so you know what you need to achieve and find out how you are going to achieve it. My new target is to play 6:4 16ths at 170 by July and 32nds at 112 by August.

Woosh... you practice a lot I get maybe 1-3 hours a day in (more if I'm jamming and having a good time w/ friends). 6 months is crazy for that much speed, gj.

Quote by Xinlitik
Woosh... you practice a lot I get maybe 1-3 hours a day in (more if I'm jamming and having a good time w/ friends). 6 months is crazy for that much speed, gj.

Well I had the time to practice that much. Now that I am at university I am lucky to get in 2 hours a day lol. All you need to do is practice correctly, and to your limit to improve. One hour a day on this will improve you. Practice makes permanent, remember that lol. Practice bad, improvement impaired. Practice good, improvement happens.
Quote by Guitardude19
Well I had the time to practice that much. Now that I am at university I am lucky to get in 2 hours a day lol. All you need to do is practice correctly, and to your limit to improve. One hour a day on this will improve you. Practice makes permanent, remember that lol. Practice bad, improvement impaired. Practice good, improvement happens.

Yea first and foremost I try to maintain my technique whatever I'm doing. I guess I'd be a lot faster now if I could devote more time to scales, but it's sooo boring. I just like learning songs and goofing off.

Time to start a regiment ..

Quote by Xinlitik
Yea first and foremost I try to maintain my technique whatever I'm doing. I guess I'd be a lot faster now if I could devote more time to scales, but it's sooo boring. I just like learning songs and goofing off.

Time to start a regiment ..

Yea it can get tedious.. But then again I have never learnt a proper song in my life on guitar so I have nothing to compare to. What might make it more fun is if you set a goal to acheive and set out to achieve it. That way sets a certain mind set. I know that I want to be the best possible player I can be so I set the goals I need to reach that, but its different for everyone. Like I said, one hour on scales a night should be sufficient if that is what is sufficient for you. Im no expert though and Im going on my experiences.

Also, if you like going off on one, do what I do a lot. Practice those scales and then go off on an improvisational mind storm. Hell I do that often, infact all the time. I will be sitting there going 1 and and a 2 and and a bazoooooom shred shred shred shred stop. bluesy stuff. jazzy. stop. 1 and and a 2 and and a 3 and and a... You get the picture.
try and count them like this:

1 e and uh 2 e and uh 3 e and uh 4 e and uh.

Obviously, the 1 2 3 4 would be on the metrenome clicks.
Alrighty, thanks guys

to get faster. break the song down...say theres a run of 4 or five bars. break each measure in half. play it slowly then pick up the temp. then start on the secok half of the measure. build up tempo from there. then slowly bring the measure together. it takes time. best thing you can do is to do scales...alll diffent scales in different keys and differnt positons. learn your mode scales. and USE A METRONOME. start out with quaternotes...then same tempo or lower. go to eighth. and to work on picking consitantly. just rido one note to the metranome. quater to eight to 16th...you may wanna try 32nd but cut down the tempo a bit. but scales. scales scales. but also learn the intervals of the scales. otherwise you're learning nothin and you're only getting the pattern behind it, and leaving behind the logic. so start slow. slow n clean is better than fast and nasty.