Page 1 of 3
Im moving to canada April 08, i know nothing about that country so i might need tips from canadian UG'ers. I was wondering about the minimum age to get a driver's licence, about schools there (if they're anything like in the states).
and most importantly, what's the best music store there ?
oh btw im moving to montreal in quebec.
thnx
The minimum age to get a driver's license is 16. The legal drinking age is 19, but in Quebec, that's more of a suggestion. In Montreal you won't need to know French, and the locals are actually incredibly nice to english-speakers, despite what you may hear. I can't speak for the rest of Quebec though, they may be douchebags about it.

The best music store chain, at least in Ontario, is Long & McQuades.

Schools also appear very different. The American UGers here seem to be all freaked out about taking AP classes to get a higher than perfect GPA (wtf?). We don't do that. The best Canadian universities pick based on extra-curricular activities and entrance essays, more than basing it on average (as long as you meet the cutoff). I'm pretty sure the only way to get into a good American university from a Canadian high school is through sports scholarships, although I didn't apply in the US so I can't say for sure.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
i go to a french school here, so french wont be a problem i know it perfectly.. but if i consider making a band, is there people that are into rock music and not that rap and hip hop bullshit ?
Quote by Darkshade666
Im moving to canada April 08, i know nothing about that country so i might need tips from canadian UG'ers. I was wondering about the minimum age to get a driver's licence, about schools there (if they're anything like in the states).
thnx

I don't know if you know this, but you might want to learn French, as well.

Edit: NVM.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Its just like the states but less coloured people and more marijuana friendly and everyone is not a dick and theres alot less people.
Are you kidding? The Montreal music scene is easily one of the best in the WORLD!

YOU may not be cool enough to roll with it.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
I've been to Canada once. Making me an expert Just smile politely, say "Eh?", and don't let them know you are from America
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
Are you kidding? The Montreal music scene is easily one of the best in the WORLD!

YOU may not be cool enough to roll with it.

lol i had no idea u shudnt have said that 2nd sentence... anyway how long does it take to go from ontario to montreal ?
The Toronto and Montreal music scenes are some of the best in the world.
It's good that you know french, it'll be really handy.

Drivers' liscence is at 16, and drinking is 19, but as the other guy said, it's only more of a suggestion, everyone does it anyway.

People are generally nicer, and our money is more colourful. >D

Edit: Ontario is huge province, so it really depends on where you want to /go/ in Ontario from Montreal.
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
there will probably be a bit of a change in the way people act, but that's to be expected when your moving from one place to another. It gets cold up here dude!
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Toronto to Montreal is a pretty long drive ... like 4-5 hours I think? You can take one highway the entire way though ... and we have no tolls! And lower gas prices than Americans (I think??) !!
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by Darkshade666
most canadians here are from ontario right ?

Not really... Well, the concentration is in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

But I guess most of us are from Ontario, yeah...
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
Toronto to Montreal is a pretty long drive ... like 4-5 hours I think? You can take one highway the entire way though ... and we have no tolls! And lower gas prices than Americans (I think??) !!

Some highways, like the 407, do have tolls.
Quote by Darkshade666
oh about schools there, i've never been to a public one, how're they like ?

Public schools, or at least the one I go to (Weston, braaaaaaaaap), is filled with annoying gangsters, nerds, and stoners.

Normal high school, really.
Teachers, of course, are crappy,
Students, as per usual, are horrendous,
And administrators don't give a shit about what you're doing.

It's awesome.
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
I've never been to a non Canadian public school so i wouldn't know how to compare it but it's probably the same as any other public school, in all of mine we had to (and still have to but im taking co-op now and have to leave soon anyways...) stand for the national anthem which is short and easy to learn
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Oh man we used to have to sing that weak ass half-english half-french national anthem. I can't even remember the french lyrics. I definitely know the American national anthem better than the French version of the Canadian.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
oh i forgot an important question.. i get a driver's licence at 16, but plz dont tell me i cant drive unless im supervised by an older person or whatever
Quote by Darkshade666
read sig

Am I missing something or does your sig not say where you currently live... unless, of course, the U.S. created a new state called "Lebanese" while I was asleep last night.
You have to wait 8 months, then take a driving test (the one @ 16 is just a written test) before you can drive alone.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Montreal looks a lot like old Europe. I have to say from experience that the people of Quebec aren't as friendly as the people from the praries.

The drinking age is different for all the provinces. In Manitoba it's 18. The driving is also graduated licencing. You get your beginers at 15 and a half then you wait 9 months then go for your road test. I don't know if this is the same across the board but that's what it is in Manitoba.

Montreal is not that far from Toronto. I mean it's far but if there was a sweet concert in Toronto (all the good band go to Toronto) you could drive or take a bus and it wouldn't be that expensive.
Just an FYI, Quebec's drinking age is 18.

And Montreal is arguably the nicest place in the country

And the best music store (at least instrument wise) would be Steve's (there's no Long and McQuade) If you're looking for a record/CD store, Ill ask my friend and get back to you
Quote by Macank
^^ strat? i want to get a stratocaster sound though!!

Fender Classic 60's Strat
Yamaha AES 720 (On the way!!!)
Ibanez GAX 30
Traynor YCV 40
Boss DS-1
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Ibanez CF-7
Ibanez DE-7
Quote by HorridxHopes
Am I missing something or does your sig not say where you currently live... unless, of course, the U.S. created a new state called "Lebanese" while I was asleep last night.

He never actually said he was from the US... he asked if our schools were like the US. I'm gonna assume he's from Lebanon.

Montreal > Toronto, that's for damn sure.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Quote by Darkshade666
read sig

sorry....your asking if our schools were anyhting like american ones gave me the impression that you were american.
Quote by Xerothunder
He never actually said he was from the US... he asked if our schools were like the US. I'm gonna assume he's from Lebanon.

Montreal > Toronto, that's for damn sure.

Bullshit.
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to, so when they turn their back on you, you get a chance to put the knife in.
just say your from america, the women will give you free blowjobs all day. no shatting.
"Member of The Allman Brothers Band > Masturbation Club - PM TheHeartbreaker to Join"

v for vendetta kicked much ass!!!
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
The minimum age to get a driver's license is 16. The legal drinking age is 19, but in Quebec, that's more of a suggestion. In Montreal you won't need to know French, and the locals are actually incredibly nice to english-speakers, despite what you may hear. I can't speak for the rest of Quebec though, they may be douchebags about it.

The best music store chain, at least in Ontario, is Long & McQuades.

Schools also appear very different. The American UGers here seem to be all freaked out about taking AP classes to get a higher than perfect GPA (wtf?). We don't do that. The best Canadian universities pick based on extra-curricular activities and entrance essays, more than basing it on average (as long as you meet the cutoff). I'm pretty sure the only way to get into a good American university from a Canadian high school is through sports scholarships, although I didn't apply in the US so I can't say for sure.

long & McQuades FTW
Montreal, Toronto, and London seem to have a shat load of concerts... so you lucked out there. Montreal has a lot of English, so dont worry about that. All of the CDs are horribly overpriced, unless you find a good sale, or a good used shop. There are very few major instrument stores... I dont know of any in Montreal.

Our money makes things so much easier... I hate dealing with money thats all the same colour... Colour-coated goodness. plus there's always a little poem or speech on the back sides.
I dont see how you guys can say that people in quebec are nice. Total douches compared to everyone else. Come to the prairies and you will see. Ive lived everywhere in canada and this is the place to be.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Make sure you know what hockey is. And the Canadiens. And buy some skates if you don't have some.

The music everywhere in Canada is awesome, so you won't have to worry about that.

EDIT: I'm not sure about this, but is smoking legal at all ages in Quebec? When I was in Montreal, I saw some kids, maybe 13 or 14, smoking in public, and no one had a problem with it!
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Isn't the United States literally the only country in the world without coloured money? If the guy is from Lebanon, he's seen pretty colours on his money before
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by willymcsilly
long & McQuades FTW

Steve's > Long & McQuade
hug your local pug dealer!
Quote by Darkshade666
Im moving to canada April 08

My condonences.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Darkshade666
thnx

Stores are basically the same as in the States. For instruments, Long & Mcquade replaces Guitar Center though. Driver's license is 16, drinking age in Quebec is 18, schools are basically the same but the quality of the education is better and there is no GPA or or standardized tests or anything. Its cold in the winter.
Quote by justin_fraser
I dont see how you guys can say that people in quebec are nice. Total douches compared to everyone else. Come to the prairies and you will see. Ive lived everywhere in canada and this is the place to be.

Dude, you live in ****ing Manitoba. Could you be any more ironic?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Mar 1, 2007,
haha.

my last name is Monrreal.

People think i'm canadian because of that.

F.U.B.A.R.
Page 1 of 3