Page 1 of 2
This is somewhat rekindling along the topic of "Music Kicks" but somewhat different and a thread of its own in every right. I think i've posted this a couple of times on some other threads but to make a long story short, I'll copy what I wrote on the other threads:

For me, i'm losing my interest in rock music. I haven't listened to a rock record in about a half year. In simple words, rock sucks now and it's only getting more boring - agree with me or not, you're opinion. I'm now inclined to listen to acoustic pop-rock and alternative as well as country, blues and shred. My favourite artists for the past year or so that got me thinking Rock was boring:
- The Wreckers (Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp)
- Michelle Branch
- Jessica Harp
- Vanessa Carlton
- Brad Paisley
- Dixie Chicks
- Sheryl Crow
- Alanis Morissette
- Stevie Ray
- BB King
- Eric Clapton
- Andy Timmons
- Eric Johnson
- KT Tunstall

It's not that I don't appreciate rock music. All the bands I used to listen to, especially grunge bands like Pearl Jam etc...I will never forget. But I really think my musical taste has matured: that being, i've finally come to the peak of my choice in musical genres and I don't think there's ever a chance I will like another. But then there's a debate about whether you can actually have a "matured" acquired taste.

Well, you guys decide. Discuss. Hopefully, you guys may know where i'm coming from, regardless of the truth or falsity of some of the things i've said above. I know there have been a couple of memorable threads like this - for example, I remember SilentDeftone (ex-metal mod) going on about how he was bored with metal and this sparked a huge debate.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Mar 1, 2007,
Mine deiffnietly matured

A couple of years ago i've listened to stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, Etc.

Then it "matured" to stuff like Nirvana, Guns n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers

And a week or two after i've first picked up the bass i've reached the 'mature' taste.
Blues, Blues-Rock, Jazz Fusion, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, some Southern Rock, and even classical music.

So yes, i believe it can mature.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Mature taste in music? IMO that doesn't exist. A taste in music about maturity, it just refines itself, although I understand as you get older you often become more open to different styles, but I don't think that's maturing, something different that I can't think of the word for.
Maybe its not matured but rather changed. This happens to everyone over time. You will always love what you listened too (unless your 12 or so)but you'll discover new music along the way, or in this case, new music tastes.

What got me into metal was Deftones, P.O.D, Sevendust, Korn back in the 90's.Then my step father got me into Psy/goa trance music. I started playing guitar and I started listening to Thrash/Power Metal(iced earth,megadeth, etc) and a lot of virtuoso stuff(Vai, Becker) but now im digging a lot of stuff from the 90's(korn, Pearl jam, etc) and psy/goa trance. I still love all that I mentioned but over time my taste in music has changed.
Well currently i listen to a lot jazz, flamenco and blues. But i think you are mistaken maturing with complex music. Thats not true, maturing is learning to listen ANY kind of music and apreciating whats good about them. Jazz is not better than rock, its different.
Now im listening really complicate music like jonh coltranes but i listen to a lot of electronic music like Dj Shadow. What i search in music is passion and creativeness, dont care about the status in society. Thats why each day i love more music and the variaty of it. And yeah Pearl Jam will always kick ass.
Quote by Belsius
Well currently i listen to a lot jazz, flamenco and blues. But i think you are mistaken maturing with complex music. Thats not true, maturing is learning to listen ANY kind of music and apreciating whats good about them. Jazz is not better than rock, its different.
Now im listening really complicate music like jonh coltranes but i listen to a lot of electronic music like Dj Shadow. What i search in music is passion and creativeness, dont care about the status in society. Thats why each day i love more music and the variaty of it. And yeah Pearl Jam will always kick ass.

Also a good argument, but don't i'm passed that. I appreciate different kinds of music and I definitely appreciate the good of them. I used to think pop music was completely talentless, but there are a minority of gems out there.

Anyway, keep the arguments/debates coming. It's all interesting stuff.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

so...green day, blink 182, nirvana, and all that is immature but jazz is mature? wtf.

wok-edit:

nvm, i get what you mean. two years ago i only listened to slipknot and everything else was crap, but now i listen to grunge, reggae, trash-metal, blues, classsic rock, and possibly even more.
Last edited by wokketywok at Mar 1, 2007,
The only way my taste has matured is in the only way I think really matters - I've opened my mind and stopped halting myself at the genre barrier.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well it did change, not matured, not too sure what that means. I started of listening to korn, deftones and the like, and these days I listen to almost anything as long as it sounds good to me, be it Rock, Funk, Rap, whatever...

My curent favorite bands though are mostly rock based: Gilbert, Opeth, Children Of Bodom, Johnny Cash...

EDIT:I think that your musical taste matures when you learn to accept music from a wider range of musical genres.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
I dunno, I would say my musical taste has changed, but not necessarily matured. I still very much like all the bands I've always liked mostly, only on top of that my tastes have learned expanded to encompass more then that. For example, originally, I listened to Weezer, Rage, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Incubus, and a few other bands almost exclusively. I still listen to these bands all of the time, and yet on top of that I've branched out to countless other bands and genres, from Jazz to Metal and everything in between. Even very soft sounding bands like The Postal Service, or things like mewithoutYou have taken my notice. But all the same, I don't think any of these newer bands have "replaced" my tastes. I still throw on 311 and dance down the street like I used to, so I dunno.... I think you just expand, not replace.

Mind you, my early tastes didn't include some bands I would probably be afraid to say I liked now, like some seem to.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Well if you think of pop as simple and talentless and then you listen to an album of David Bowie, the beatles, Radiohead, Blur, etc you realize that its not true. I have always thought
that its much more difficult to make a good simple song than a good complicate song.
Quote by Hells_Bell
Well it did change, not matured, not too sure what that means. I started of listening to korn, deftones and the like, and these days I listen to almost anything as long as it sounds good to me, be it Rock, Funk, Rap, whatever...

My curent favorite bands though are mostly rock based: Gilbert, Opeth, Children Of Bodom, Johnny Cash...

EDIT:I think that your musical taste matures when you learn to accept music from a wider range of musical genres.

Exactly, and that is the stage i'm up to. It's only happened quite recently, about a half year ago.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Mine definetely has. I started off as a punk kid, then last year I got heavily into metal, prog and classic rock. I still listen to those today but now I'm listening to different stuff like Prince, and funk music is really cool to play.
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
I used to only listen to sum 41,green day.blink 182,bullet for my valentine,fall out boy,panic!at the disco,weezer,and AfI.

now I hate that stuff.I listen to metallica, megadeth,pantera,anthrax,iced earth,celtic frost,iron maiden,dragonforce,trivium(shut up or ill kill you),opeth,And a ton of other metal bands.A ton of jazz and blues.lost of classic rock and hard rock like guns n' roses,led zeppelin.and some classical music.I havnt listened to pop in almost a year!
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Last edited by wetwilliamthe3r at Mar 1, 2007,
^
Again not listening to pop does not make your musical taste any better. There is good pop, and you can apreciate it. If you liked it then, why have you strated to dislike it?
Is it because it doesn't fit your metalhead image you're trying display?
Quote by Hells_Bell
Again not listening to pop does not make your musical taste any better. There is good pop, and you can apreciate it. If you liked it then, why have you strated to disslike it?

Because i mean i used to listen to bands like that just to be cool. I never realy liked it.It's just that my friends listened to it so I thought I should. And i know there is some good pop.its just not my style.

EDIT: i do listen to some radiohead or five for fighting occasionally when im feeling either realy happy or sad.It's just not my favorite genre.
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Last edited by wetwilliamthe3r at Mar 1, 2007,
Well, I used to listen whatever my brother listened but since a year or 2 I've been discovering my own taste . I used to like pop/punk like Green Day and the Offspring and avoided any kind of ballads but now my favourite band is Pearl Jam and I've started to get into prog-metal for a while. I love ballads if done right so I guess it's a little more mature.
Power Metal is what I like, and it is what I shall like for a damn long time.
Quote by rabidguitarist
manowar.

on the subject:
anyone else notice that the film '300' is like... manowar: the movie?

Quote by morbid_death
Sam, you are my hero.

Metallurgy. Traditional Metal from Brisbane
http://www.myspace.com/metallurgy
That happened to me. I used to love korn and other crappy nu-metal bands, and then i started listening to some 'emo' stuff, and basically i opened my ears to a new world of music. nowadays i listen to SOAD like, once a week by accident (shuffle mode for the lose), and i'm listening to 'emo'/indie/metal stuff. i used to like individual bands from these genres, but i've just gone out and bought random CD's like incubus and bright eyes and well, www.last.fm/user/chinko explains it all!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
but ... Harmonius... Goodnite_AmyLee... oh, whoo is me

Sorry, I need to make a public announcement. My name has changed to Harmonius (study my signature).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
but ... Harmonius... Goodnite_AmyLee... oh, whoo is me

lol i didnt notice that
Mine hasn't really matured, just expanded. I listen to some of the stuff I did five or six years ago, but I also listen to a lot of other stuff too.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by frankv
I thought it was impossible to change your name. Guess I was wrong.

It is impossible, well usually. I believe, you need to be a really common UGer to be able to change it. By common, I mean a UGer who's been here for a long time - i'd say since 2004.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Exactly, and that is the stage i'm up to. It's only happened quite recently, about a half year ago.

Exactly the same with me.

You wouldn't have found me anywhere near classical, DnB, country, pop, indie, jazz etc 6 months ago.

I went home last weekend, and put ClassicalFMTV on in the background, my sister's face was something like this:

Then she was like "Hey! That's the Jonathan Creek theme tune!" and put on American Idol. Bitch.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Harmonius
It is impossible, well usually. I believe, you need to be a really common UGer to be able to change it. By common, I mean a UGer who's been here for a long time - i'd say since 2004.

nah, 99% of people can't!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Without meaning to be arrogant or anything, I think I've been musically mature for a while. I can appreciate a wide variety of music, from hardcore punk to classical to 90s rap to black metal to noise to fado to funk to Goth to IDM to neofolk to industrial to jazz to rai to triphop to classic rock. (Geez, thats a bunch of genres). There are some genres I'd prefer to listen to, and there's some I don't care for (emo, whether the modern MTV stuff or the old 'real' stuff, some metal sub-genres, shred, hair metal, some kinds of electronic music)

What I really can't understand are people who limit themselves to one or two genres.. Death metal is awesome, but I can't be in the mood for it all the time. I also can't listen to Bach all the time, no matter how great he is.

I don't think that there is a single 'super-genre'. I do think that some genres are better than others, but that is entirely due to personal preference. I don't think that one genre can satisfy all my musical needs. A Nile song is great, but it can't do for me what a Nas song can.

So yeah. I listen to this wide variety of music because each genre offers something different.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead

What I really can't understand are people who limit themselves to one or two genres.. Death metal is awesome, but I can't be in the mood for it all the time. I also can't listen to Bach all the time, no matter how great he is.

I agree. I think it is rather close-minded for someone to decide they will listen to one genre and only one genre. There's a lot of great music out there that I would've otherwise missed if I'd stuck to one type.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Too bad, i've been thinking of changing my user name

Ben Hamelech
^ Yeah, we multiply alot recently.

Seriously, in the last month i've seen like 10 times more israelis then the few months i've been here before.
The weirdest thing is that most of them arent 07'ers

Something weird is going on..

Ben Hamelech
lol at people thinking that you're a girl. Your username is misleading though. Gal is not a common name outside of Israel.
I started off as a hardcore grunge kid. And I was like "OMG PAWP SUX", then I become a hardcore metalhead and was "OMG GRAWNGE AND PAWP SUX", then I grew up, cut my hair, started listening to pop and hiphop again, and still listen to all the metal and everything else I used to be into.

I any music, so I couldn't give a fuck what genre it is, as long as it is a pleasure for me to listen to.
Any more arguments?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Page 1 of 2