so ive been playing for about 2 years now ive taught myself how to play.

i like to play along with riffs, but i can never solo.

so i started to take lessons few months ago.

i thought i told my teacher i listen to melo-death, metal and that my goal was to "shred" hahaha

but he made me retune my guitar back to standard, and were doing scales, then covering 80s rock bands. then we finally got into phraises, but its all 80s rock influenced...he like deep purple and eric clapton so on....

theyre free lessons, and i feel bad to just blurt out "cant we just play what i want to play?"

so bottom line, i was looking for online lessons. i saw on youtube they have this:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ShredAcademy
(i find it funny)

and do all people who play in drop-C practice scales in standard tuning?
or do they just play the scales they have online a step up?
i hate having to retune my guitar everytime i play.
what are good ways to practice with drop-C?
yeah its better to learn in standard first , then u can just transpose it when u have the knowledge to do so. You gotta remember that he is teaching u the basis of how to solo, if you dont have the basics down properly it willt ake you a long time to learn to shred and it will severly limit your progress. Alot of shred is just classic 70's/80's licks played very fast.

The bands your learning about now had a massive influence on modern metal and music in general. The style of Ritchie Blackmoore (deep purple) for instance had a massive impact on some modern players. As they're free i'd say stick with it, but once uve got the basics down you might wana look for paid lessons from a shred guitarist (but don't stop the free lessons!).
Doesnt really matter Drop-C or D or standard. The reason you cannot shred yet is because you have not trained your hands to be able to shred. Knowing scales and timing between left and right hands, string muting, etc... all come into play when you shred. Its more along the lines of knowing what string to fret/play instead of memorizing a few licks. Learn to crawl before you walk.

BTW, I cannot shred because I am not diciplined enough to practice with a metronome. Although I have been repetitively learning scales so I am able to solo in key with any song. I will build up enough muscle memory to play scales instinctively, and slowly build up speed. Soon as work slows down, I will start with the metronome again.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
but he made me retune my guitar back to standard, and were doing scales, then covering 80s rock bands. then we finally got into phraises, but its all 80s rock influenced...he like deep purple and eric clapton so on....

Then he did the right thing - you have to learn things from the ground up and know the basics before you start fannying around with drop tunings and stuff. Also he's teaching you the right stuff - the music you like didn't just appear, it evolved from earlier types of music and a lot of the principles are the same. By teaching you the older stuff you'll be able to understand better how the music you listen too has developed, and if you understand you'll be able to play better.

Ultimately what do you want - do you just want to be able to regurgitate a few songs or do actually want to learn to play the guitar? He's teaching you the skills and techniques you're going to need, and no doubt picking suitable examples that will be easy for you to play and help things sink in quickly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 1, 2007,