What im trying to achieve: to explode various pieces of food. Such as a Melon.

Problem: I live in UK. So bangers arent readily available in shops. same as with black powder.

iv used bangers in the past and a good size one would do the trick, but ive ran out of supplies as i havent been to france for a while.

oh yeh the reason i want to blow it up is a photography project. I will be taking a multi exposure shot of the explosion. So you can see every single step of the fruit being blown up from start to finish.

So what can i use to make a sizeable explossion? any help much appreciated.

Ideas i;ve had only consist of drilling a hole into a melon, some how hollowing it out... filling with gas trying not to let any escape. then have a gas lighter (the ones with the long shaft where the flame lights at the end) shoved in the hole. So when lit it will explode. But that would be very tricky to achieve and wouldnt be worth it imo.

Thanks in advance.
Shoot it with a black powder rifle. That can work well and be extremely fun too.

EDIT: Oh, you said black powder wasn't readily available. Guess that doesn't help then. Sorry.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Come to Canada. The store I work at sells black powder. lol ... you may have trouble getting it back. It's cheap though only like $10 for a fairly large container. lol
hmm, my best suggestion:
drill big hole in melon, drop wd40 can in it, cover melon with sparklers (i'm talking like 200) and LIGHT DAT SHIT!!! It will slowly burn into the melon, then chew away at the can, then BOOM!
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
wd40 can wouldnt explode that muchplus the sparklers wouldnt erode it that well. well possibly two hundred..

i was thinking drilling a hole and pouring a can of lighter fluid in it. not at once but adding some every hour or so, so it evenly spreads throughout the inside. Then a sparkler or w.e as a fuse. But the problem i can see with that would be if it would ignite at all as the water melons obviously very wet would it prevent any flame within?
I think I read in some kids science mag that you can make nitroglycerin out of lard and crap? Ill try and find the magazine (It had step-by-step instructons - no joke)
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Any aerosol can should produce a bit of an explosion if you could blow it up (I shot one with a pellet gun once, and that was enough to do it). I hear that body deodorant sprays stuff works well. Other then that.... there's a lot of homemade explosives you can make. Google "The Anarchists Cookbook."
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I was gonna say, google it and you could probably find some good stuff. Just be really careful. You could really hurt yourself trying to make homemade explosives if you don't know what the hell you're doing.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
i was around once when a deodrant can was thrown onto a fire, that made a pretty loud bang and sent shards flying, however that wouldn't help your melon, you can't just pierce a hole in the can and light it either, the pressure stops the fire going inside.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
a deoderant can doesnt realy explode that well particularly in the way id like.

i've found out via google ( cheers guys) how to make your own black powder. and where to buy each ingrediants..so i've decided im going to make a standard ft long fuse, or buy a remote fuse, to a home made banger / tnt stick, which will consist of a pringles tube thats been re enforced with gaffa tape equaly around the outside. This should creat a massive explosion with 20/40 grams of black powder.
Yeah, I just can't emphasize enough that you should be realllllly damn careful.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
u can get glycerin as an emulsifier for fats, u can just pump a shit load of nitrogen into it

BOOM!!!
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
if you could hollow it out you could make a dry ice bomb. just get a bottle and put some dry ice into it then put some water in it and put the cap on the bottle. the water will make the dry ice sublimate[(correct word?) or turn it into gas] all the gas will expand and blow up the bottle and should blow up the melon.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Yeh safety first, found instructions, and there was 3 or 4 different ways to make black powder, and im gona use the method which they said was the safest for beginers ( Me) Also it produces the most slowest / lowest grade black powder.
Easiest explosive I can think of is water and dry ice.

Drill a hole in the melon and exgavate the inside. Fill it half up with water. Place in the dry ice. Use gaffer/duct tape to seal the hole.

Wait for the explosion.

You might need to experiment with this. We done this with a huge water melon but instead we drilled a hole into it, excavated the watermelol, pushed in 1 500 ml bottle of water, took it out, filled it half with water and dry ice and then put the bottle into the watermelon.

The watermelon exploded.

Since you will be using a melon you cant use a water bottle so you have to some how drill a small hole into it and then dig out the inside and put some water and dry ice in and seal it.

(Dry ice is solid CO2 and can be obtained from any entertainment retailer that deals with gigs where smoke machines are used, also contact local universities as they may supply it, or even the student unions at the universities might supply it).
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by splinter26
Yeh safety first, found instructions, and there was 3 or 4 different ways to make black powder, and im gona use the method which they said was the safest for beginers ( Me) Also it produces the most slowest / lowest grade black powder.

black powder= saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur.

edit: wikipedia gives this: The optimum proportions for gunpowder are: 74.64% saltpetre, 13.51% charcoal, and 11.85% sulfur (by weight). The current standard for black powder manufactured by pyrotechnicians today is 75% potassium nitrate, 15% softwood charcoal and 10% sulfur.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by Revalk
Google "The Anarchists Cookbook."

My thoughts exactly!
Or just make some gun powder/steal some stuff from your school's science department.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Move to a country that doesn't violate it's citizen's basic rights for the bullshit excuse of "protecting the public." A few kids are gunned down by a maniac and all of a sudden you can't buy anything that explodes or is used to propel a piece of metal really fast.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Throw a flash bang at him.