Page 1 of 2
Check out Me first and the Gimme Gimmes new album, they do punk versions of country songs, i've heard its good
They do punk versions of a lot of other songs too.
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
SOme of Social Distortion's self-titled and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell stuff would qualify as country punk.
Quote by dain84
SOme of Social Distortion's self-titled and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell stuff would qualify as country punk.

Yep thats the closest thing I can think of. Listen to their remake of the Ring Of Fire. That is some good country-ish punk
Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell is definately a country-influenced album. Also, check out some This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, they have a country sort of sound to them. Also, even though I've only heard maybe one song of his, Hank III is supposedly country/punk.
Pine Hill Haints, Colonel Dixies, Th' Legendary Shack Shakers, Immortal Lee County Killers et. al.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by dain84

indeed

there's a type of punk called "cow punk". Wikipedia lists a bunch of bands of that genre. you should check some of them out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow-punk
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Personally, I recommend the Meat Puppets. They are simply amazing. Just listen to their album "II"
myspace.com/codesterness

Member #2 of the "Racecar is Racecar Spelled Backwards" club PM I AM JE§US to join.

Pink Lover.
Guys please recommend some good songs that will get me started in this cowpunk/country punk genre. Recommend original cowpunk songs and not punk covers of country.
Drive By Truckers.

It's like Skynyrd meets Poe meets an assload of whiskey.

You might not like 'em, but give 'em a shot.
I thought of another while I was at work, Saw Wheel. As for songs, I really don't even know where to start.
Meat Puppets rock. Definately check them out
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
I forgot the Trainwreck Riders
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by ilovegadgets
Are there any country punk bands?

you speak of oxymorons
Quote by Wookiedude
Hank III, man
Straight to Hell is a phenomenal album

damn, Hank III rules. thats the only album i have and it is one of my favorite cds. go to archive.org, and type in "Hank III" on the search, ya see; hank III likes it when people bootleg his stuff cuz he hates his record label with apassion and is on a very strict contract, so he purposly wants people to bootleg his stuff. but yeah anyways, my bootleg, (and the rest i checked were simular setting) it starts off with aobut 20 country songs, then about 6 or 7 songs by hank III and the damn band, a psychobilly type band, and then ASSJACK. extreme hardcore, like grindcore but a tad different. anyways, back to the country punk, (getting off topic i know) Meat puppets rule. PERIOD. buy II and up on the sun. X has some countryish stuff, (john doe, bassist/singer, would later have a solo country career) Frank Black and the Catholics are a very kickass band also.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Yeah the Meat Puppets for sure!

But also check out The Country Teasers. I recently got into this band even though they've been going for quite a while. They are absolutly awesomely amazing. They are from Scotland and they play funny little country inspired punk songs. Seriously give this band a listen. They recently signed to IN THE RED records so they must be good.

Listen here-> http://www.myspace.com/countryteasers
speedbuggy - cowboy punk, if somebody have something of them, please say where can i get it?
Folk Punk
This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb
The Devil Is Electric
Defiance, Ohio
Ghost Mice
Operation: Cliff Clavin
RandyVanHendrix mentioned Social Distortion's remake of 'Ring of Fire'. Great song. Can somebody please tab out the intro riff, I can figure out the rhythm.
Quote by GiveUpTheGhost

Defiance, Ohio

I saw them play in the basement of a thrift store last night. It was pretty rad. They stayed at my friends' house last night, and I would have gone and partied with them, but it was a school night.

Anyway, as far as reccomendations go, I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Old Crow Medicine Show. They are awesome, except Against Me! covered them, so they are probably selloutz.

No One is more country punk than Charlie Daniels
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
kenny rogers....
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
does mojo nixon count?!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
I saw the Meat Puppets last Friday. They were great, but messed up on the songs a few times since they haven't played in a while. The last song they played was "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston, they pulled it out of their ass, it was great. During Lake of Fire Curt Kirkwood pulled a little 9 year old on stage and told him to scream into the mic, then he gave him his guitar and he strummed it, the kid was really nervous, then he stage dived into the crowd, it was cool. I wish I was that kid.

They seem like really nice guys, Curt's a really good guitarist as well.

I recommend seeing them.
^Man, I really want to see them. I was so happy when I heard about the reunion. Hopefully they come over to the UK soon.

Curt is one of my favourite guitarists. Such a unique style.
They always seem to do such crazy covers too.
Last edited by radio_schizo at May 22, 2007,
Quote by the glue man
I saw the Meat Puppets last Friday. They were great, but messed up on the songs a few times since they haven't played in a while. The last song they played was "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston, they pulled it out of their ass, it was great. During Lake of Fire Curt Kirkwood pulled a little 9 year old on stage and told him to scream into the mic, then he gave him his guitar and he strummed it, the kid was really nervous, then he stage dived into the crowd, it was cool. I wish I was that kid.

They seem like really nice guys, Curt's a really good guitarist as well.

I recommend seeing them.

My friend and I sing "I Will Always Love You" all the time, but it's a bitch hitting those high notes on the "Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" part.
Page 1 of 2