When I am strumming, I like to use my hand - I'll use the back of my fingernails on the downstroke, and the fingernail of my thumb on the upstroke. However, I like the sound that the pick produces when strumming more than my hand. It seems to be louder and more vibrant. I do fine with the downstrokes with the pick, but on the upstrokes I always seem to get the pick caught in either the high E or B string. Did anyone else have this problem? How did you overcome it?

Thanks
You can try holding the pick closer to the point where it's strumming. That may prevent you from strumming with a large portion of the pick. The only other thing I can think of is you are not 'tilting' the pick back towards yourself on the up-strum. I'm thinking one of those 2 things are your problem.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

What helps me is actually holding the pick closer to the back and holding it looser so that the pick "falls" on the strings. and tilt, like the guy above me said. see if any of those help.
Ya make sure you are tilting the pick back for the upstroke. On your downstroke, you will notice that the strings glide off the pick. When upstroking, the pick should do the same, it should glide off the strings. So when you keep that same tilt for the upstoke as the downstroke, you are going to go 'against the grain' and your pick will catch. Think of it as rowing a boat. You want the water to just slide off the paddle, no ride up the paddle.

I hope that made sense, if not, ask again.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
You may want to practice strumming a chord using only upstrokes. I had this problem when first starting off and this really helped me. The techniques the guys above me have posted are also true.