Hello everyone, I've got another question with regards to gear for the band.

Currently our supercheap hire stack is a Marshall JCM 800 + 2 1960 quadboxes. It's being used for studio rehearsals for $16AU (about $10US) per session and if we want it for a gig it's $50 per night (say $30US, pretty good deal I thought).

Only problem is that being super oldschool it doesn't actually have a gain nob, so I'm looking for a good (preferably cheap) overdrive pedal that will do the amp justice for System of a Down and Deftones influenced hard rock. The last session had a Beringer OD pedal plugged in, and it didn't exactly do the amp justice.

So, what's everyone's favourite pedal for driving those old valves?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Metal muff isn't an overdrive. Try a Fulltone OCD or a Maxon tubescreamer.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
*Scribbles notes*
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

+1 to the tubescreamer, everyone raves about how well they complement a good ol' valve amp, there not exactly cheap as OD's go though, about £80 over in the UK. An alternative would be to just lok at boss overdrives and distortions, too many to mention.

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by aliwilson27
Metal muff isn't an overdrive. Try a Fulltone OCD or a Maxon tubescreamer.

how different is the Maxon from the Ibanez? Just wondering.
tube screamer, but how come your jcm 800 dosent have a gain knob?

i dont meant to be rude by this, but its the preamp volume knob for the gain.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
A simple Boss SD-1 will do great on a budget. The Fulltone OCD is great though if you can afford it, and a Tubescreamer or varient would work well too.
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
how different is the Maxon from the Ibanez? Just wondering.

The Maxon is more true to the original, and it's true bypass (since 2004, I believe).

Quote by loki_lulamen
tube screamer, but how come your jcm 800 dosent have a gain knob?

That's how they were made.
Quote by mr_hankey

That's how they were made.

nope, thats not how they were made. unless there is some unheard of model that just had a master volume control on it.

i got a preamp gain and a master volume control on mine

Edit: oh sorry i was wrong. i have never seen any like that.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Mar 1, 2007,
Quote by loki_lulamen
nope, thats not how they were made. unless there is some unheard of model that just had a master volume control on it.

i got a preamp gain and a master volume control on mine

There are different versions, dumbass.
To be honest I don't play the thing, I'm the roadie and organiser. I had a play around with the preamp nob in the studio the other day and cranked it up, but it seemed to still have lots of headroom. We're basicly looking to drive the tits off it, and then be able to footswitch back to clean for different sections.

Not sure of the exact model, a previous customer stuck spice girls stickers over it.

A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Mar 1, 2007,
ahh have you put the guitar in the low sensitivity input? cos that will make a huge difference.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
ahh have you put the guitar in the low sensitivity input? cos that will make a huge difference.

Can you figure out which is which from the photo above?
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

it looks like the low input to me, try the other one. if that dosent work then i have no idea.
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Hopefully another jam there on Sunday, I'll have another go at driving it full. Still need clean/ds footswitching though- I'll give the tubescreamer a go in the shop - found some good Ebay prices on it too.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

If you want a Tubescreamer that's closer to the original, the TS-808 reissue couldn't hurt... I own the pedal, and it's rather great. Still, a Tubescreamer in front of an amp that refuses to break up probably won't exactly give you Deftones/SoaD tone... The Boss SD-1 is a very good pedal, and it's more gainy than the Tubescreamer. You could always take a Tubescreamer and put it in front of the SD-1, that would be enough gain XD However, that would also cost you over 100 U.S.D., so, the choice is yours. You could always get a distortion pedal, but it won't sound as good, even if it gives you plenty of distortion. Cheers, and good luck!
Turn it up.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
That amp has a gain knob.

Its called the preamp volume (it doesn't actually say gain)...it'll be the 1st knob from the inputs.

Turn it all the way up. Then work the MV which is the 2nd knob from there.

I know this for a fact simply by counting the knobs (theres 6, preamp volume, MV, 3 band eq, and presence)...then look at the inputs. They are the horizontal inputs (not the vertical ones) so thats a later model 2203 or 2204 JCM800 head.

It may even be a reissue, it seems pretty clean.

If you crank that preamp volume you'll find it has alot of gain, more then enough for what your wanting, especially if you turn it up and mix in some powertube distortion.

PS. You are plugged into the low input in that pic. Thats basically a clean channel. Plug into the other one.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Last edited by bonchie1 at Mar 1, 2007,
Awesome, we'll hopefully be back in the studio tomorrow. It helps being able to ask you guys because in a three hour session the guys are just trying to play the whole time, and don't really have a lot of time to play around with an unfamilar amp.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

I agree, from the picture, it's in the low input, where little gain exists. Put it in the high, turn on the OD, and turn up the volume SLOWLY, unless you want to explode, of course
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Cool, I'll make sure Miles is plugged into high, and has the preamp on 10 tommorow. If that works and we decide this is the gig amp ($50 a night for a stack, how could you not) I'll try leads in both imputs with two out splitter pedal, hopefull that'll get footswitchable distortion out of the beast.

And it is a beast, Even though I couldn't get it to break up properly, I still needed my earplugs in the studio. I was cameraman for the day, so I was doing things like lying on the floor with my head against the cabinet so I could film upwards. When I do that with the bass stack (Gallen Krueger 8X10) it feels like someone's kicking me.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

You could always just snag a distortion pedal or something and use that to boost. Or a rackmount preamp run thru the clean channel.

I don't think that the JCM should get into the territory of bands like System of A Down, but it should get some distortion going. Like the other guys said, Plug into the High input, crank the "Preamp Volume" knob (Gain) and use the "Master Volume" to control the overall volume of the amp.

If that doesn't cut it a distortion, overdrive, or boost is what you're looking for.

I'm more partial to a Distortion in front of a marshall than an OD (when the OD is not being used as a moderately clean boost)
BBE Boosta Grande?
MXR Micro Amp?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Damage Control Solid Metal. Period. Its a 2 12AX7 all tube preamp that gives huge distortion. Its not that cheap, but You will NOT like the sound of any other non-tube pedal. Trust me. The Metal Muff or Metal Zone will sound stale and Dry. Either of those would be ok, but not great.

The damage control will sound absolutly Awsome infront of a JCM 800. Really. Its just like modding the amp with 2 more preamp tubes.