Ok how on earth did these two manage to sustain a note for so long?
check the videos:

Gary Moore, 2:35 - 2:49, 14 seconds sustain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FgnFVm5k0

buddy guy, 1:35 - 1:57, 22 seconds sustain!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzMJrQ3uqk

I seriously doubt either of them use one of them 'fernandes sustainer pickups' and I know buddy guy uses hardly any effects....
Slight vibrato can make it sound like your sustaining. I haven't watch the video yet though.
Also, you have to figure he's playing through a higher sound level than anyone on UG combined.

EDIT:

holy crap, I don't know. My second thought is the only thing that could make sense, for his situation at least. If it's not that, I have no idea. haha.
Last edited by Guitarjunkie18 at Mar 1, 2007,
For Gary Moore...

Les Paul+cranked marshall = high volume+controlled feedback.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah was gonna say, it sounds like it slowly turns into feedback

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

The gibson has natural sustain because of its size and weight. feedback is possible too...especialy with buddy guy
sustain pedal

not in this case - if you've got the right equipment and know how to use it you don't need crap like that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Probably pulling a Santana and using the speaker's playback to resonate with the string...still, that's ridiculous.
if you look close you can see him keep on reaching for the knob...perhaps its just a tone change but its also possible for a sustainer to be in...dunno for sure though but a sustainer could be in play in the first one. i dont think fernandes has a single coil model and buddy guy has a SSS strat so he most likey couldnt get one installed anyways

Buddy guy got all those monitors in front of him so he most likely used feedback.
The other guy has heavy distortion and stacks so feedback is also very likely.
Gary Moore's been playing that note since 1978 - trust me, he doesn't use any of that stuff, it's just knowing how to handle your rig.

This version is a masterclass in making feedback work for you, and also how to use your guitars volume control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVTqr6EgWk
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 1, 2007,
That's no secret chum. Assuming he's using valvestate amps ( Tube amps for you rookies out there. ) The feedback is causing the resonation. ( Sustain. ) If you own a tube amp ( Solid state amps will do it too, But not as much usually. ) Crank it up and slam a barchord, Then stand right infron of your speakers. Depending on your guitar ( Dosen't make too much of difference, But you're going to get better resonation with a set in and neck-thru than a bolt on. ) you can hold a note for some while, Or hold it untill it kicks into harmonics. =D It sounds awesome on certin sings, As we all know.
valvestate

that's actually Marshall's name for some of their hybrid amps, but like you said, it's no secret...there was a time when you didn't have a pedal for everything, you used to work for your sound
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Ol'boy Rivers
That's no secret chum. Assuming he's using valvestate amps ( Tube amps for you rookies out there. )

You mean valve amps. Valvestate is Marshall's solid state amp.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by steven seagull
that's actually Marshall's name for some of their hybrid amps, but like you said, it's no secret...there was a time when you didn't have a pedal for everything, you used to work for your sound

No no, Chum. AVT and " Valvestate " arn't the same. It is the name for marshall hybrids ( Great amps, By the way. My BiChorus rawks. ) but it is the real name for all equipment that employ thermonic valves. ( Tubes. )
Valvestate is the old name for the AVT (Advanced Valvestate Technology)series , no other company uses the term. Valve amps are just that...valve amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Valvestate is the old name for the AVT (Advanced Valvestate Technology)series , no other company uses the term. Valve amps are just that...valve amps.

Hmn. Muh bad, Then. It's early, and my coffee pot isn't empty yet.