he cant play power chords :O
he can play lead and some power chords (yeah i know there all the same) but if i say play an A power chord he dont know or G, E etc. i have to show him where to play

is this weird? he can play lead and songs with power chords in them but doesnt know what they called or where they are?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
oh, what so he doesnt know the notes on the fretboerd, but know shapes of chords?
yeah he said he'd never had lessons etc etc etc so that could be why, i dont think he knows any theory at all though. ive had no lessons but i know a small amount of theory like chords, chord names, chord fingerings. the pentatonic scale ( ireally should learn more) and tunings etc. i dont think he knows them or not a alot of them and to a very basic level.
will this affect us as a band?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
he knows that
d-5-
a-5-
e-3-

is a power chord but he doesnt know what power chord. so im guessing he doesnt know notes of fret board either
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
The fact that you're refering to him as your guitarist, and how you're lording it over him will affect you more as a band than his lack of musical theory knowledge.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
i doubt it would effect you as a band i mean unless ur a speed metal prog band with crazy solo's then it might be alright, then again it could all go horribly wrong
why not just teach him that e-f is one fret....b-c is one fret....every other is 2 frets, shouldn't take him long to understand
my music....so check it out

www.myspace.com/copperchild
Well. If he's a lead guitar, I'd call that normal. No. That isn't good, Tell the man to get his head on straight.
I don't think that matters to much, I know a great deal of theory, but most of the guys in my band know next to nothing about it, I try to exaplian the basics, but theory is not a fun thing to learn. All in all, I don't think it'll effect your band to much, as long as he has chops
then he is nothing more than a guitar player.... tell him to be a guitarist
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s

I need to write that down.
How does he play lead if he doesn't know fundamental theory?
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by backtothe70s

tho u cant see , i am saluting you for that geniuos comment. well done sir.
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
Quote by Eddy Hitler
tho u cant see , i am saluting you for that geniuos comment. well done sir.

well thank you kind sir =)
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Well, according to what you are saying, he CAN play power chords, but he doesn't know what where the notes on the strings are. So he has obviously learned the power chords through songs. Tell him to learn a bit of theory etc... It'll make him understand what he is playing, rather than just playing it... Otherwise how would you makes songs or improvise a bit if you're in a band...
Quote by Yakult
The fact that you're refering to him as your guitarist, and how you're lording it over him will affect you more as a band than his lack of musical theory knowledge.

how else am i meant to refer him as. he's the other guitarist in my band (me being a guitarist as well)

oh, we both play lead as well as rhythm.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
They are fairly easy to understand.
If you Understand Barre Chords then you will realize the that power chord is just the top 3 notes.
yeah i guess ill have to give him a few lessons myself.
just so if i say the progressions goes E G and A and i play them that he knows what im playing and can follow cause he was pretty lost yesterday
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Just tell him the notes along the bottom E string and that gives you the primary notes he needs to know. Then get him to learn the notes on the A string and he should be able to play any powerchord on either the E or A string.
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
Yeah, I suck at theory too, I barely know where they are or what the are called too.
It doesnt bug me thought, i dont care really.
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
is it really that big of a deal? i always thought playing guitar was about the love of the music, not about how much "musical theory" you know. but i guess when your in a band you need to know these sort of things. i know no theory at all, i've learned off the internet lol
if i said play a D power chord could you do it?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Quote by ozzie987
Just tell him the notes along the bottom E string and that gives you the primary notes he needs to know. Then get him to learn the notes on the A string and he should be able to play any powerchord on either the E or A string.

Or tell him to learn the notes on the e string and that all he has to do to locate a note on the A string is 5 frets lower than that same note on the E. Sounds complicated, but it's really simple. Plus he'll learn it quicker that way...