Hi,
I started playing guitar about nine or twelve monts ago, and right from the bat I got myself a Jackson JS30Ke Kelly begginer's guitar, and have since then picked up a Randall RG75D amplifier. To be completely frank, I am quite happy with my gear when it comes to rythm playing, but as I have gotten more and more into leads recently, I am starting to feel like my gear is holding me back (or rather, my guitar is).
So I scoured the market for a possible replacement for my ol' axe, but I found none that seemed just right for me, hence my desire to build one on my own.

Now, I am still new to this whole guitar bussines, and I can't honestly say I know every type of wood and every pickup out there, I find the opposite to be quite true really, but I have done some research and this is what I've learned so far:

• I want a mahogany body and neck
  • A rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets
  • A Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup for cleans
  • A reversed Bill Lawrence L500XL bride pickup for distorded playing
  • A Floyd Rose tremolo bridge
  • One tone and volume knob

The shape I am going for will probably look a lot like the old Washburn Culprit (pictured here), but with a different finnish and without the pickguard.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? Are there any other pickups I should consider, tips about building a guitar with a Floyd Rose etc.?
If you are really observant you will have noticed it's the same pickups Dimebag used on his old Dean guitars, and this is very much something I was aware of when I chose the pickups. I am going for a really heavy and chuncy sound, but I also want to have the option of playing beutiful clean passages like the intro to Hollow, and I figure this is one setup that will allow that kind of flexibility.
I'm pretty much new to the whole guitar world....but i've heard EMG-81's are good pickups.....but because they are active...i beleive you'll have to build a powersupply for them...
A reversed Bill Lawrence L500XL bride pickup for distorded playing

Try switching that with a Seymour Duncan's Dimebucker. I have one, and i regret nothing.
The best advice I can give to someone starting their first guitar build is to pick up a good book on the subject. Two come to mind. Martin Koch's "Building Electric Guitars" and Hiscock's "Make Your Own Guitar". Either will take you through the process beginning to end. Along the way, you'll get a good idea what basic tools you'll need. In addition, there are a number of excellent forums, vendors and tutorial sites out there as well. Here's a list of guitar building resources I put together. There are others but I found these the most helpful.

Regards,

Rob
Last edited by ririzarry at Apr 7, 2007,
Quote by Rammstein_Fan15
I'm pretty much new to the whole guitar world....but i've heard EMG-81's are good pickups.....but because they are active...i beleive you'll have to build a powersupply for them...

I was actually thinking of getting an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck, but after doing some comparing I decided that EMG's probably wasn't the way to go for me.
Partly because I very much dislike the idea of the batterys, partly because the sound wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Thanks for the imput though!

Quote by PollutedSoul
Try switching that with a Seymour Duncan's Dimebucker. I have one, and i regret nothing.

A Dimebucker was my second choice actually, but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. Still, if someone else could weigh in on this that would be great!

Quote by Rob
The best advice I can give to someone starting their first guitar build is to pick up a good book on the subject. Two come to mind. Martin Koch's "Building Electric Guitars" and Hiscock's "Make Your Own Guitar". Either will take you through the process beginning to end. Along the way, you'll get a good idea what basic tools you'll need. In addition, there are a number of excellent forums, vendors and tutorial sites out there as well. Here's a list of guitar building resources I put together. There are others but I found these the most helpful.

Regards,

Rob

That was my first thought too, actually. So I scourged this site for all the threads on the topic I could findm as well as the internet in general (Google is awesome!). Not only that, I also got the book you mentioned; Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock (even though I haven't had the time to read it yet!).

Thanks a lot for you suggestions though!
Quote by Renka
That was my first thought too, actually. So I scourged this site for all the threads on the topic I could findm as well as the internet in general (Google is awesome!). Not only that, I also got the book you mentioned; Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock (even though I haven't had the time to read it yet!).

Thanks a lot for you suggestions though!
Google is indeed a wonderful thing and I'm glad to help with some suggestions. Getting started can be a challenge. There's so much information as well as disinformation. The books are a great way to get a solid foundation on the subject and will help you to formulate additional questions about guitar building. Project Guitar Forum, which I mention on my list, is a great resource specifically for guitar builders and would-be guitar builders.

Regards,

Rob
Quote by forsaknazrael
I say keep the pickups you originally selected. Good combo.
Because you heard right, the Dimebucker is a bad pickup.

+1 on both statements. Dimebucker - muddy as all hell and your pickup combo = excellent. (I'm beginning to notice that me and forsaknazrael offer pretty similar advice in every thread, maybe he's the one )
EMG's will sound really dull and lifeless on that amp of yours. And for the guy saying you need to build a power supply, well, that's just some bad information there.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I've read up on the L500XL, and it isn't identical to the Dimebucker. The 500XL has a metal casing (simiar to a regular pickup cover, but it doesn't cover the top of the pickup). In reality, the Dimebucker is a copy of the L500XL. Using a Dimbucker instead of a 500XL is like using a plywood strat copy instead of a Fender Strat.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by forsaknazrael
Maybe I'm Aussie and never even knew it..?
BTW, I saw that Parkwood is making some Blackwood acoustics, they look very nice.

I know, I chuckled a bit at the power supply comment.

You could become an honorary member of my club
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Sweet.

BTW, Bedlight for Blue Eyes ain't half bad. Their last album was solid.

Yeah, I don't like their new song as much, Ephemeral Addictions > Everything else. Don't really want to spam this guys thread, but check out an Aussie band called The Butterfly Effect. Simply amazing musicians PLUS the guitarist has the guitar I want

Threadstarter - are you going to buy a pre-made body and neck or build from scratch?