Hello, UG. I've got back from school the other day, where I had been tortured by teachers and other pupils about my handwriting. And criticised for my random letters being missed out here and there, or me trying to somehow morph one letter into another. And then there was my annoying clumsiness and just accidentally walking into people. And then came my ball skills. I just can't catch or throw to save my life. Football, I'm not so bad with because I play in defence if i ever play at all, and I just boot the ball in any direction possible to stop the other team getting it.
My mum, after hearing of this since I'd started school, began to wonder. I'm intelligent and go to a grammar school. Surely I should be able to do these simple things... So Mum searched these symptoms on google and the first page that came back was Dore Dore is a dyslexia company sort of thing. So my mum did an online test for Dyslexa. Completely negative, there is no way I'm dyslexic. So she checked for another one - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyspraxia">Dyspraxia. It came back that I'm highly likely to have dyspraxia. It has all the symptoms I talked about earlier.

And I will get special educational help if the official test this month says I have dyspraxia.

Now does anyone know anyone with, or have dyspraxia, because this has just like really taken me by surprise.

Cheers for reading all that if you did.
Back and sexier than ever

Co-founder and #1 member of The Pick-Eater's club. PM me to join.
n00baid member - PM draken to join
my friend has dyspraxia. Its not that serious, it just means he cant tie his shoes up quickly, and things like that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Some people though I might have dyspraxia a couple of years ago. Turns out it was just coincidence that I can't write properly and can't catch for sh!t. The tests really annoyed me though.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
I've got Dyspraxia, on top of Asperger's Syndrome. It's common for the two to go hand-in-hand. Throw me something and I will NOT catch it, but my handwriting's getting a bit better. The whole handwriting problem can be solved with practice- my 15 year old brother has it, too. Playing guitar should be good for you, too- it will build up your fine motor skills and the muscles in your hands.
I know a couple of people with it. They get along fine, only set back is a lack of perfect coordination. It's the one nobody has heard of though, everybody always thinks a mate of mine is dyslexic because he uses a laptop rather than handwriting, and he gets so pissed off when he has to say 'No, it's dyspraxia'.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I've got Dyspraxia, on top of Asperger's Syndrome. It's common for the two to go hand-in-hand. Throw me something and I will NOT catch it, but my handwriting's getting a bit better. The whole handwriting problem can be solved with practice- my 15 year old brother has it, too. Playing guitar should be good for you, too- it will build up your fine motor skills and the muscles in your hands.

Yeah, mine's mainly fine motor skills. It's because of my eyesight and stuff I think. I'm long sighted and i have bad co ordination. What are the aspeger's characteristics?

I always thought of them as the same, just different names.

Are you cool with it though? I mean you sound as if youre not too worried about it. Does it have an affect on guitar playing?
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by jajp001
Yeah, mine's mainly fine motor skills. It's because of my eyesight and stuff I think. I'm long sighted and i have bad co ordination. What are the aspeger's characteristics?

I think it's a form of autism.
Quote by notoriousnumber
I always thought of them as the same, just different names.

Are you cool with it though? I mean you sound as if youre not too worried about it. Does it have an affect on guitar playing?

The way i see it is that I've always had this, I've just never noticed it, so I should really feel better now that it has been found because now people will lay off my handwriting and things like that. It's just a chance for me to focus more on the bigger things and not the little ones like them.

Hate to double post and bump a thread but for those who posted in the thread, especially AidyDamage, it turns out I have almost every symptom of dyspraxia apart from time concept and on top of that I have alot of symptoms for Asperger's. I obsess with little things like spelling and i'm very self consciou, but i thought that it meant I would have little regard for other's emotions and not be able to express my emotions physically, but I can. Can anyone with Asperger's relate to this or is this a bit strange?
Sorry again for bumping my own thread.

I suffer from dyspraxia and dyslexia. I can't catch or throw, just as you described. My hand eye co-ordination is terrible, and I shake like mad when consetrating on anything like writing or drawing. It's not funny, but it is in a way.

however jaip001, it has been proven that people who suffer from mental illneses like this are often far more artistic and talented then an ordinary person could ever be.

I did the DORE test online and got about 60% dyslexic, and 65% dyspraxia.

When I was at school, NONE of my teachers gave any thought taht I might be struggeling to keep up with everyone else. I was just labeled as "thick"
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Im dyspraxic, its not that bad. I used to have problems catching as a kid but ive adjusted it so i'm fine now.
I have it too, they were trying to get me to grip my pen properly, and some people got extremely frustrated that I couldn't seem to do it. I think it's unfair how some people can be so uncompassionate about it. I hate sports, especially the coordination ones. I was terrible at football, everyone got so frustrated when they passed to me and I couldn't quite get it right, I think I did quite well considering. I even tried Iaido, that's just incredible. I couldn't do it for my life. My problems are listed as: "gross motor skills, fine motor skills" or something. They never actually mention Dyspraxia.

Mainly though, it was just little things when I was younger. I was confirmed as having it back in '94 so I was about seven.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Last edited by SavageNights at Mar 15, 2007,
Quote by Aidy Damage

+1 i also have aspergers and dyspraxia, my handwriting is awful, i can catch most of the time though but my catch isnt the best.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by hairypineapple
I love sum14

LOLZ I love them too
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by hairypineapple
I love sum14

Like, wtf?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by SavageNights
I have it too, they were trying to get me to grip my pen properly, and some people got extremely frustrated that I couldn't seem to do it. I think it's unfair how some people can be so uncompassionate about it. I hate sports, especially the coordination ones. I was terrible at football, everyone got so frustrated when they passed to me and I couldn't quite get it right, I think I did quite well considering. I even tried Iaido, that's just incredible. I couldn't do it for my life. My problems are listed as: "gross motor skills, fine motor skills" or something. They never actually mention Dyspraxia.

Mainly though, it was just little things when I was younger. I was confirmed as having it back in '94 so I was about seven.

I'm 13 at the moment so when/(if) i'm diagnosed, it'll be quite late but not too late I guess. DORE said they can cure me but i'm not paying 2 pounds a day when they probably can't. I just want a diagnosis and hopefully people will lay off me for my fine motor skills and sports skills.

my old best mate had it. He got plently of learning support and stuff and his handwriting, spelling, etc really improved over the years. He knew he had it since early primary school and he was fine with it very quickly, he was quite shy so the only way the others kids really knew was his handwriting. He's as smart as though.
Good friend has it, but I rarely see any symptoms..hes quite shy but not really very clumsy. Maybe he just grew out of it? hmm.
Shit man, you've got my avatar. I've gotta change it anyway though, keep it.

I have mild dyspraxia, my sister has bad dyspraxia, and my brother has Dyspraxia to the worst degree they bother measuring it too. Currently he is doing great at a computing firm and my sister is one of the best in her year at med-school, so no worries. Btw, if you live in england, when you go to Uni you get a SHITLOAD of free stuff, the main one being a laptop, so go get yourself an educational psychologists report(quite expensive, £100 approx I think) then when they say your dyspraxic reap the benefits of the £2000 worth of free stuff like Laptops and books. I;m trying to convince my best mate he's dyspraxic at the moment, he;s a little stubborn and ben brought up by psychos to think he's perfect, but its going something towards it.

Anyone been resistant to the idea that they're dyspraxic/dyslexic who could give me some tips on how to convince him?
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.