ok on my Crate Amp it has a jack in the back that says "Insert" and its on the effects seciont (changes effects on and off and changes between the three channels) and in the manual it says that the insert jack is for a effects loop....what exactly does this mean? im not a noob, but i havent had this amp very long..yeah...
UG's HIPPIE
fx loops go between the preamp and poweramp, so you can run fx after your preamp. Some fx just sound better after the preamp where they aren't getting shaped by the pre. There's no set rule, but people usually use modulation based fx like chorus, reverb, etc, on the loop. The insert jack works the same as an fx send/return. You need an insert cable, which is a stereo cable on one end split into (2) mono connectors on a Y. One end of the Y acts as a send, the other as a return. Send ->fx box->return
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^erm, in simpler terms, its where you stick all your efects. A cable goes into the send, you plug that into one effect, that effect into another effect etc etc (were talking about single effects here) and on the last effect a cable goes to the return socket. Happy looping!

D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
^erm, in simpler terms, its where you stick all your efects.

not always
The Stuff!
so since my amp has modulations effects (listed in sig) i can put additional efects such as a wah wah, volume, that kinda stuff by simply gettin the effects and the y adapter and pluggin it in there? so why do they need that if i can do that with the input jack?
UG's HIPPIE
cos it sometimes it sounds better in a loop, cos its not messin with ur pre amp. And i dont know why your worying about a y adapter. Just send a cable to your effects, and some one back at the end of the chain, then plug your guitar into the input jack and play!!!!
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

^an "insert" jack is only one jack, that's why you need an insert cable.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
^an "insert" jack is only one jack, that's why you need an insert cable.

Yup. Kinda odd for a guitar amp, would have thought two would be generally more practical.