I was looking at this guitar and so far i really like it. im seriously thinking of getting one now and i wonder if anyone knows any good points/bad points about it and if it is a good guitar for about £400?
Good points - trem, looks, light weight, ergonomic design

Bad points - pickups, Wizard II neck, neck joint is not deep enough for the neck (a few mm)

All in all great guitar for the money. I have a S470DX, basically the same guita but mine has a middle pickup. I'm failry happy with it but need to drop some Dimarzio Evos into it then it will scream.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
It's perfect except for the pickups, but they aren't all that bad,
Orange Enthousiast.
What they said, great guitar with the stock pickups, awesome guitar once you swap them.

I haven't really benchmarked the S520's pickups, but I find Ibanez low-middle-budget guitar stock pups in general to miss the output and bite you'd want from a hot pickup, while still not being very clean either. They're just "decent" for most stuff, while sucking at some points (heavily dropped tuned and distorted, I'd imagine), and not being especially great at anything.
Last edited by maxter0 at Mar 1, 2007,
Quote by teamzaius
Good points - trem, looks, light weight, ergonomic design

Bad points - pickups, Wizard II neck, neck joint is not deep enough for the neck (a few mm)

All in all great guitar for the money. I have a S470DX, basically the same guita but mine has a middle pickup. I'm failry happy with it but need to drop some Dimarzio Evos into it then it will scream.

Whats wrong with a Wizard II neck
There's nothing really "wrong" with the Wizard II neck, just nothing really "right" with it. It is fairly thin and fast but it's definitely not the neck Ibanez made its name on. My advice is to try it out if possible to see if you like it. Personally, I don't mind it. I wish its profile was a little different but its not bad considering it is Ibanez's "budget" neck. Also, if you're used to Les Pauls and the like the neck is going to feel pretty good I'd say. Unless you like fat necks.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Quote by teamzaius
There's nothing really "wrong" with the Wizard II neck, just nothing really "right" with it. It is fairly thin and fast but it's definitely not the neck Ibanez made its name on. My advice is to try it out if possible to see if you like it. Personally, I don't mind it. I wish its profile was a little different but its not bad considering it is Ibanez's "budget" neck. Also, if you're used to Les Pauls and the like the neck is going to feel pretty good I'd say. Unless you like fat necks.

well i was looking for a guitar with a neck that has a similar feel to my les paul, so it should be oretty good if its like that
Quote by GLP_Arclite
well i was looking for a guitar with a neck that has a similar feel to my les paul, so it should be oretty good if its like that

It will feel NOTHING like your Les Paul. Not only is the shape way different but the scale is also larger (25.5 vs 24.75). My first guitar was an SG and I love it. I recently bought the S470 so I could have a guitar with a reliable trem and the S series has a great trem at an affordable price. I'm still getting used to that larger scale though.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
I like the neck. Awesome guitar, I am going to be changing the pickups on mine. The guitar doesn't sound horrible with the stock pups but it's capable of much more with new ones. i think i am going to get Dimarzio Evo bridge/PAF Joe neck.

just wondering, for anyone who has the evo pups, how well do they handle pinch harmonics?
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by PlayTheMetal
I like the neck. Awesome guitar, I am going to be changing the pickups on mine. The guitar doesn't sound horrible with the stock pups but it's capable of much more with new ones. i think i am going to get Dimarzio Evo bridge/PAF Joe neck.

just wondering, for anyone who has the evo pups, how well do they handle pinch harmonics?

Don't have them myself...yet. But I hear they make the harmonics jump out at you. That's why I'm getting some soon.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Quote by TTC
It's perfect except for the pickups, but they aren't all that bad,

+1
My friend has the passive pickups (S470) version, and I love it.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by teamzaius
Don't have them myself...yet. But I hear they make the harmonics jump out at you. That's why I'm getting some soon.

Evo's own, and harmonics really do jump out. I have a pair in my RG1570. You just need to have a good amp too though, thats what I'm saving up for.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Are there any guides on changing the strings/adjusting the bridge, etc? Ive never owned a guitar with a locking nut or a floyd rose before so i should at least get some idea of how to use it for when i buy it.
thats a cool guide, thanks, do the ball ends of the strings go on the headstock when using this kind of bridge?
I have dimarzio breed's in my s520ex and it sounds awesome. This is great guitar, i really like the neck, its nice and thin, trem is really good, and if you swap the pickups out sell the originals on ebay for some extra cash. great guitar go get it.
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
you cut the ball ends off, loosen the bolts where the strings go in with an alan wrench that will come with the guitar, put either end in there and just tighten them back up. i don't think it matters which end you use. and also make sure you don't tighten any of the bolts too tight because you don't wanna strip any of them.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Quote by One Way Ticket
Heh, I was looking for that. Are you a Jem site member too?

^ not yet but i was thinking about it. I remember using that thing when i first got my ZR trem, i had it bookmarked.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo